News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chapter Approved  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Chapter Approved
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »
That said, VDR coming back is... questionable at best. It was unbalanced AF previously, and I'm very concerned about what kind of abuse these rules will be open to.

I remember in the old VDR you could make eldar vehicles with negative points cost!

Not that you would actually make one as it would be like a hedgehog of useless singlebarreled scatter lasers (and a couple of great guns!).

Ah, well perhaps the trick would be to run dozens of these to increase the points value of your list. So you could run 10 of the "negative 20 points cost" vehicles to get an extra 200 points for your list!  8)
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
I'm hoping they'll have learned from their mistakes. Allowing hardpoint vehicle modifications seems reasonable. You're not designing a whole vehicle; just opening up a wider array of armament for an existing one.

Provided the weapon costs are balanced, this system has some potential.  It's basically just giving existing vehicles more options, rather than making wholly new vehicles from scratch.

While some part of me might miss the armour-8 front/side/rear pickup trucks with battle cannons on them, and the vyper jetbikes built around a pulsar lance, the rest of me is happy to see those shenanigans go away.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
They'll have to pry my long barreled gatling defence laser mounted on a moon hopper out of my cold dead hands.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:17 PM »
I'm hoping they'll have learned from their mistakes. Allowing hardpoint vehicle modifications seems reasonable. You're not designing a whole vehicle; just opening up a wider array of armament for an existing one.

Provided the weapon costs are balanced, this system has some potential.  It's basically just giving existing vehicles more options, rather than making wholly new vehicles from scratch.

It's open play, not Matched, so there are no point costs.  I assume they will have some modifications to power levels though.  Start at a base of X, add y based on choice of weapons taken.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »
Are these stop gap rules until the codices for these other races/factions are released?  That's how it appears to me.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
My Orks will be glad to have some stratagems etc to hold them over until the codex comes out.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
I concur, Blazing Hand.  Playing against Ad Mech was brutal when my opponent used 2 Ad Mech specific stratagems against me to great success.  All I could do was pass a morale test and re-roll a save.

I'm happy to see Dakka! Dakka! Dakka! as a Stratagem in today's update.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:59 PM »
Are these stop gap rules until the codices for these other races/factions are released?  That's how it appears to me.

Yes. It appears to be a hold over until they get their codex. Notice current codex armies weren't in the list. However, current codex armies might get some points changes or such as that is one thing chapter approved is also supposed to do where needed.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Oh I am loving that stratagem for harlequins!

I'm looking forward to this book.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 05:33:47 PM »
Oh I am loving that stratagem for harlequins!

I'm looking forward to this book.

I agree. I feel Harlies are one of the few armies that are still competitive index version, and this just made them that much better...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
They've bought out the spanners and hammers for matched play.
Get Ready for Chapter Approved: Matched Play Updates - Warhammer Community
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »
Thank God for those changes. Malific lords are crazy good for the 30pts they are now.

Seeing a variety of named characters go up in price is huge too.

And my death jesters are going down! Hopefully more Harlequins getting price drops, as the army is pretty garbage right now.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
Having all the points changes in one place is a good thing. Well, until the next codex drops and there may be more changes but that's the way of things.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
I look forward to the new stuff.
The VDRs never should have been done away with IMO and ideas, rules and more MISSIONS is something I always support.
I also loved that they basically FAQed the kitbashing and hobby conversions back as far as they dared and really hop they will keep such Chapter Approved things coming with even more hobby friendly stuff.
They even keep thing in hand for the more competitive circles and do that well IMO. Even if those circles are as "unsatisfied" as ever and come up with their own "much needed" things.

Personally I have high hopes for the hobby, it might get back to where it was back in 4th ed.

sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 12:49:06 PM »
Battlezone stratagems to add some narrative flavour to your games. Not vital but something nice to play with.

Get Ready for Chapter Approved: Battlezones - Warhammer Community
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
With the book having been out for a week many of you probably have it.

The Land Raider VDR rules are less doom and gloom as I was expecting but still as silly as usual. You start with a set transport capacity and then remove transport space as you add weapons. The silly part is that a negative transport capacity is still okay. "Hey, my tank is carrying -4 guys!" So, fun for mucking about with but otherwise reasonably harmless.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Kind of disappointed with chapter approved. they made it sounds like it would rebalance a lot of the armies that didn't have codex's yet, but it was really a sprinkling of point changes.

11 army factions rules out of the 20+ armies still without codex's feels like it is falling way short. Maybe those not mentioned have a codex dropping in the first half of next year?

The add-ons like Apoc and new missions etc, while nice, feel like they were put in to bulk up the book, without them it would have just been an FAQ, so I'm left to wonder what will happen for next years chapter approved.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
Yeah, Tau basically got jack amphetamine parrot but that's the way of things. Everyone can't get everything. I think they've done rather well so far with the Codex releases. Next year will probably see another eight or more. They did say 18 months to two years for the entire roll out. As long as no-one gets left behind like the DE saga from a while back.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
I think it's increasingly likely that the factions with nothing in Chapter Approved (That haven't received a codex) are lined up for a 2018 Q1 release. I'd be shocked if they weren't.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...