News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperator Emperor-class Titan  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Arstahd

Re: Imperator Emperor-class Titan
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
  For grins lets assume the plastic Imperator is the correct height at 5.25" tall due to some miracle of miniaturation of it's Defense Laser. Divide this height again by the Epic Warhounds and we get X3.5. Multiplied by the 40K Warhound's height and we get a 36.75" tall Imperator. Kinda puny for housing all those platoons it's supposed to.
A 7' tall marine is a bit over 1.25".  This works out to where 1 actual inch equals about 5 scale feet.  The above titan would be about 183 feet tall.  The lower leg, which accounts for nearly a third of the overall height, would be about 60' tall.  A six story building, even if filled with machinery would have plenty of room for a few dozen soldiers.

For kicks, your 63" version works out to be 315 scale feet tall.   Quite a bit roomier, and it does line up with the 100 meter reference that some fluff mentions. 

GW's flexible sense of scale leaves plenty of wiggle room.  Depending on how you look at it, an Imperitor is between 3-6 feet in 40k. If I was to build one, I'd stick to the low end of the spectrum.  It will still dwarf anything on the table and you would actually be able to move it out of your basement.

Offline Thlaylie

« Reply #21 on: January 4, 2008, 01:40:42 AM »
 One thing we can be sure of in GW scaling is that marines, vehicles and titans all have separate scaling. So comparing a marine weapon to a vehicle's won't work. All we can really do is use the existing models and weapons in a particular class. For example: I compared the Epic Titans to determine scale with the only existing model Titan in both Epic and 40K, the Warhound. That they just released the Reaver and he is exactly the predicted height makes my point. I can understand GW not making the Imperator to proper Epic scale as that would have used a bit more plastic/ cost more/ possibly beyond their molding tech at the time. I'll have to make a proper 9" Epic Imperator some day.

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #22 on: January 4, 2008, 03:35:31 AM »
The biggest hangup I have about your 9" model is that it ends up three times the height of a warlord.  The differential between each step of the three smaller classes is what, 3/4"?  Jumping from the warlord to your Imperator is a leap of over half a foot, in epic scale no less!  That just doesn't jibe with me.  That's too huge of a gap with nothing in between.

I think that the relative scales of the actual epic models are pretty right on.  I liken three smaller ones to a man, woman, and child in size and relative power.  The Imperator at fully twice the size of the man is a veritable giant in comparison.  If anything, it's the FW titans that are too small.  If the FW warhound was a slightly more robust 14", the Imperator would come out at about 4 feet tall.

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2008, 08:01:55 AM »
In the horus hersey novels, is the imperator titan bot described as being 41 meters tall??

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #24 on: January 4, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »
Gah, lotsa posts, no time... Whatever, straight to the point: that's big. Can't say anything else ATM, cos that still looks very WIP, other than if the legs will be straight as it looks like now, I will probably choke you. Knees for the win!  ;D
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
Gah, lotsa posts, no time... Whatever, straight to the point: that's big. Can't say anything else ATM, cos that still looks very WIP, other than if the legs will be straight as it looks like now, I will probably choke you. Knees for the win!  ;D

well the legs will not be straight , just the frame legs are. everything will be covered by the plasticard and one of the legs will look like its moving the other one will be bent slightly. im keeping the frame legs straight for support.

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2008, 01:47:34 PM »
the legs will not be straight
That means that instead of choking, I will probably hail you when that monster is ready.  ;D
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2008, 08:20:26 PM »
hehehe well thanks.  ;) but yeah what you see right now in the pics is the support frame thats gonna hold all the weight. i was gonna use steel pipes but the cost of weilding plus the weight alone would make it hard for transport. so i am using plastic plumping pipes for the support.

update.

just got my shipment of plastic in today and started doing the basic structure. the foot wiill have 3 toes in the front and a big toe in the back, there is a pic with just one toe there.

also all photos are on the first post.

Don't double-post:
8 ) Do not serial post/double post.  If you have added a reply to a discussion and wish to add more to it, but not one else has replied yet, use the (Image removed from quote.) to update your existing reply.
-Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:54:02 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Offline danscan

• I have no personal text.
    • Warlord Titan Pics
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 04:07:19 PM »
PVC will hold the weight just fine.  You may be able to shave off some of the cost by just using 1/2" or 1" PVC.  Cheaper and you don't have to get it welded.  The only draw back is leg positioning.  But since you are going to not use bent legs for structure only for show it does not matter.

Offline Col. Xanith

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »
thanks, it just takes a little plasticard magic to make the legs look bent XD

Offline Admiral Stukov

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 10:09:58 PM »
A 40K Imperator Titan standing 62.999998" tall! That toilet plunger model is probably the correct height.
god damit this was already posted

“Okay, so basically, be afraid of everything…” I said, panting. Just helping a Space Marine stand was hard work.

“Hey, you’re a Guardsman…” began Saladin, snidely. “You’re should already be afraid of everything!”