News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Best Brand Of Primer?  (Read 8998 times)

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
Best Brand Of Primer?
« on: January 2, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
While I set about to painting my 30 orks I have primed I find I have run out of primer. So far I have only ever used the black GW primer. Thing is alot of people say this stuff isnt that good? I dont know any better, but if there is some better brands of primer I would like to know.

Tell me your experiences with primers, which ones have worked for you & which ones havnt.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Powerslave

• "It's all part of the plan."
Re: Best Brand Of Primer?
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »
I have used a local "no name" primer from a Construction / Household store that got the job done, and I have used the GW primer (both black and white).

The no-name primer was decent and was half the price of the GW one, so I was satisfied to a certain extent, but as I got better in painting I stuck to the GW one since it was a bit better quality. But, I have to say, I would also be interested in hearing if there are many primers out there that are better than the GW ones.

I find the GW ones to have a good level of quality, and they definitely get the job done, but here in Europe, they tend to be a bit expensive. But quality wise, they are really not so bad, the price is a bit inflated though.
http://timeofending.blogspot.com/ - my blog
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186984.0 - Black Water (Battle for Calvinus Prime)
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=170815.0 - The March of Iron - My Fluff, My Story
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=171063.0 - My Guide to Iron Warriors

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
I really like the Floquil primers, but they're on the expensive side.  Their white figure primer is, I believe, simply the best there is.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
You can find very detailed answer to you question in here

http://www.maximusinminimis.com/Primer%20Test.html

The general conclusion is - doesn't matter. They are all within the same range and you can simply go by the price :)

Couple of thing though (I should've mention it before). 1) The citadel primer he is testing here doesn't exist anymore. The supplier was changed about a year ago. Subjectively though, this incarnation of the citadel primer is better then the original one.
2) His test were performed on metal. I, for once had problems with Armory white primer on resin, even after extensive and prolonged washing. So, media could be important.
3) Let's face is ladies and gentelmen, most hobby related companies do not make their own primers/paints - they simply do not have production capacity for this type of products. They usually rebrand bigger brands (like Krylon ). They also tend to change suppliers without telling us, so White primer of certain hobby company today could be very different than likewise labeled can 2 years ago :).
« Last Edit: January 2, 2009, 02:09:00 PM by Skeeve »

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
Very interesting link, Skeeve.  I should say that the reason I like the Floquil white primer is that it provides the best tooth for receiving paint of the primers I've used -- and I've used a lot of different primers in the past 20 years or so.  (grin).  This is a purely subjective test, and I would not be surprised to find that other primers perform just as well or better; I merely report my experience.  I do not like the Floquil grey primer he used for his test, although for the tests he ran, I suppose it would perform about the same as the white.  I also have used the Armory white primer quite a bit, and like it quite a bit. The last can I used, though, had a tendency to granulate, although that may be because I was priming a lot of models at once and I could have been the victim of overspray.  My VC army has a LOT of skelies.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
I like Duplicolour Sandable Primer. Really, really cheap, and it works wonders.

Offline Marauderk

« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
I like Duplicolour Sandable Primer. Really, really cheap, and it works wonders.

x2
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." - George Carlin

Offline Zeller

• Clark 15B, Stop'em Dead.
    • Gallery of my various W.I.P.s
« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
Rustoleum Automotive Primer. 'Nuff said. ::)

Offline Sightless Blind - Free Booter Ork

• Ork Boy
  • BLOOD FOR TH-----I mean......WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!
    • My Youtube Channel.....with Orks!!
  • Armies: Orks, Necrons, Warriors of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:12:51 AM »
Just wanted to throw an update out there. I tried useing Krylon Fusion on some minis the other day. Other then the fact that I accidently used satin instead of flat black this stuff is wonderful. Its also self priming which makes it almost the best option for a black primer I can find.
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only me trying to save money on these #@%!!!ing models.

My Hell Boyz WAAAAGHHHHHH
Hell Boyz - My Theme Army(updated 6/8/09) - Orks - 40K Online

Check out my 40k videos on my youtube channel.
SightlessBlind - YouTube

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
GW Primer ?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »
So, does GW still make primer ? I ask because I know they used to, but now their spray cans just have paint names and nothing says primer on it. Would the spray of Chaos Black be the same as primer ? I know lots of people prefer to just go to places like home depot or some other paint store and get regular primer, but I'm lazy and would rather just pick everything up at my LGS without having to go somewhere else just for primer if I don't have to.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
Re: GW Primer ?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:41:09 PM »
yeah they do

they got rid of a lot of the colours a while back (few years now) so the range is limited to:

chaos black
skull white
rough coat (textured grey for buildings etc)
'ard coat (gloss varnish)
purity seal (matt varnish)

i suspect the first two are the ones you're after and yes they are primers
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 10:24:41 PM »
You can buy better for cheaper.

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
Well, what would you recommend then ? I just looked it up on GW's site and the last time I bought any it was $8 a can, and now it's 15. I have checked out Home Depot before, but all the different styles, brands and shades of black confused me too much.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Aramis87

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:45 AM »
I personally use Krylon Flat Black. I get it at Home Depot for like $9 a can, and it tends to go on very smooth and even.
“There can be no rest in the Eternal War, for the Dark Gods and their chosen servants will never rest until the world truly becomes a Realm of Chaos”

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 02:01:50 AM »
Duplicolor Sandable Primer. You can get it for around 5 bucks a pop, and it's the best you'll get.

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 02:20:34 AM »
I use the krylon primers.  Never had a problem with them.

Offline Commissar Mackenzie

• Black Templar Politician/Commissar/Necron Research
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
Rust Olem works great, you can find it pretty much anywhere from walmart to home depot. I give you a nice hard coad so your models will not shed after being used. They also have a pretty wide range of colors, and each can carries lots of paint.
"GW wants to milk us of our money"
  :)

My Eye Candy Music Vids! 40k/MW
MW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1a5q-Q6Ok

40k: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6mFRfP4gjc

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 01:21:32 AM »
I use automotive plastic primer on both metal and plastic.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »
Duplicolor sandable primer is great but I do find it can eat into the plastic of GW a little.  I use it on other plastics, like scale models and sheet styrene no problem.  If you try it I would suggest spraying it a bit farther away than normal to allow some of the toluene to evaporate on the way to the plastic.

On pewter models, green stuff, and the like, it's top notch though.  It's very durable, and doesn't build up on the surface very thick.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
Duplicolor Sandable work with plastic?
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »

Before I buy a can of this, does anyone know this primer works well with plastic or will the aerosol melt the plastic into overpriced carbon?

Also, how well does it holds onto the details of the miniature?