News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Finally gonna use part of my Tau Army  (Read 2124 times)

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
Finally gonna use part of my Tau Army
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

I usually use my Eldar or Dark Angel armies, yet this moment I feel like breaking out my Tau due to my friends stating that Fireblades are semi useless, although they don't want to use them. Gonna start it by using it in this list.

HQ
Fireblade [60]
Fireblade [60]

Troops
Fire Warrior w/ EMP x12 [193] Bonding Knife, Shas 'Ui, Markerlight with Target Lock, Marker Drone, Shield Drone
Fire Warrior w/ EMP x12 [193] Bonding Knife, Shas 'Ui, Markerlight with Target Lock, Marker Drone, Shield Drone

Elite
Stealth Team x3 [214] Shas'vre, Homing Beacon, Shield Gen x3, Markerlight Drone x2
Crisis XV8-02 [111] Shas'vre, Airfrag, Cyclic Ion, Shield Drone x2
Crisis XV8 [101] Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Marker Drone, Shield Drone

Heavy
Crisis XV 88 x3 [376] Shas'vre, Seeker x3, Shield x3, TL-HRR x3, TL-SMS x3, Missile Drone x6

Total = 1501

- Each Fireblade will be part of a Fire Warrior Squad. The third squad is there as a back up unit and a unit for the fireblades to hop in and off, if needed.
- Yes, I am using Monats suits for either deep strike or confrontational units.
- The Stealth Team is to infiltrate and remain as an annoying unit.
- The Broadsides are there for some heavy lifting on vehicles and be able to fire and destroy their intended targets.

Any suggestions or improvements I need to emplace? I am going to be fighting an Eldar(Iyanden), SM(Ravenguard) and CSM/CD
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Finally gonna use part of my Tau Army
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:29:10 AM »
Hey Haunt, 

That's different for sure!  It seems to me that your list is a toys over tau list.

You could free up lots of points if you dropped the EMPs, Bonding Knives, and Shield Drone off your Fire Warriors.  With the extra points you could get a second Marker Drone and another small Fire Warrior Squad. 

One could get two Stealth Teams for the price that you're paying...  The Target Lock and Marker Light upgrade for the Shas'vre is worth it.  If you're going to take Marker Drones, if possible take a Drone Controller.  The Shield Generators are not as good as the Stimulant Injectors, but do you really need either when you could take more XV25's?

XV8-02, drop the Shield Drones and try to get a XV8 w/ Burst Cannon and Twin-Linked Missile Pod in there. 

XV8, drop the Drones and the Shield Generator, and upgrade one of the Missile Pod to Twin-Linked, then try to take another XV8 w/ Missile Pod and Twin-Linked Plasmagun. 

XV88, drop the Shield Generators for Stimulant Injectors or Velocity Trackers...

I hope this helps!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
I wish I can get another Fire Warrior unit. I only have 36 total. I do have a lot of Battlesuits, and the only battlesuit I haven't gotten is the Riptide.

I'll rework the rest of the suggestion in. Anything else I can do?
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
I basically agree with Samos, but just to be more detailed:

HQ
Fireblade [60]
Fireblade [60]

Nothing wrong with these guys, but they're going to be holding still most of the game. Understand this.

Troops

Since you are holding still, you don't need the EMPs (you'll never really have opportunity to use them). Bonding Knives only are useful when you have 3 firewarriors left and you fail a morale check, which rarely happens. Marker Drones in singles are more-or-less useless unless there's a drone controller somewhere. Shield Drones are completely worthless on Firewarrior teams. Cut all of that and you save a *ton* of points. Almost 200, if my math is correct. That's a Riptide, my friend--a whole, entire Riptide.

Elite
Stealth Team x3 [214] Shas'vre, Homing Beacon, Shield Gen x3, Markerlight Drone x2

Dump the Shield Generators (the Stealth Generator is just as good if not better and also free). Buy a drone controller if you're bringing markerdrones.

Crisis XV8-02 [111] Shas'vre, Airfrag, Cyclic Ion, Shield Drone x2

Don't know a tremendous amount about the XV8-02, but I will say that the weapon pairing is odd, here. The Airfrag and Cyclic don't really complement each other well. Unless there's something really special about the 02 that I don't know (is that the one with the extra missile pods?), I feel you could do just as well with a regular monat suit and spend way less points on it.

Crisis XV8 [101] Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Marker Drone, Shield Drone

Fireknives don't work well on their own--take them in teams of at least three. Overall I'd recommend taking more specialized suits which will do better for you. You're very light on antitank, so a group of XV8s w/ Double Missile pods and a Shas'vre w/ double MPs and the Puretide Engram would be fabulous. Don't take a marker drone unless you've got a pack of them (FA slot) or a drone controller.

Heavy
Crisis XV 88 x3 [376] Shas'vre, Seeker x3, Shield x3, TL-HRR x3, TL-SMS x3, Missile Drone x6

Dump the seekers.

If you're playing Iyanden, Ravenguard, and CSM/CD, you need sniper weapons. I heartily recommend sniper drones and a cheap team of Kroot with sniper ammo is a good buy, too. Those Deathrain suits with the Puretide are also pure gold against monsters and light vehicles, of which you will face many from that array of foes.