News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Veil of Tears and Vehicles  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Veil of Tears and Vehicles
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:22 PM »
Had my first game with the Harlequins tonight, and the game was an absolute blast.  Unfortunately it was against an armour heavy guard list, which is a perfect counter against the Harlies.

Anyways, a question arose tonight when my opponent had a Leman Russ exactly 14.5" away from a unit that had successfully cast Veil of Tears.  What we were unsure of is where you measure the distance to for the power to take effect, as he had rolled 14" for the distance.

The way the power is worded, I feel that the distance is measured from the unit to the hull of the vehicle, using page 10 of the BRB as a reference.  On that page, they have the examples of the marine squad being within range of an Ork Trukk by measuring to the hull.  The confusion came from the fact that the test is done in the shooting phase, so would that mean you measure from the barrel of the tank, as it was within range?  However, the rules only really refer to measuring to the muzzle for checking range.

I am leaning towards the hull, but just want to make sure I am reading the rule correctly.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Veil of Tears and Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
You are correct about the measurements. To shoot at a vehicle it is to the hull and from the barrels when shooting with the vehicle. Glad you had fun, so, where is the bat rep?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »
I've never really been big on Battle reports.  I don't take notes during the matches, and by the time I get around to writing them I just don't have the motivation to do it.

Thanks for the quick response though, always good to get a second opinion.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
I know the feeling. You betcha, I have to do that a lot myself.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2015, 12:34:48 AM »
Veil of Tears prevents the unit from being seen, if the crew in the tank cant see it they cant shoot it. As such I would take the measurement  from the hull.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:23 AM »
I agree with what has been said.  On a side note, how would Veil work (if it even would), against the subterranean attack from an emerging Mawloc?  ???