News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: starting s.m.  (Read 5554 times)

Offline franklin_d23

• -franklin_d23-
    • My 40k Site
starting s.m.
« on: January 13, 2003, 11:57:09 PM »
   hello i'm finishing up my tau army soon and i'm not sure what army to play next. im not doing SoB cause they are too aexpensive, and im not doing IG or Orks. So if I were to start SMurfs, what chapter should i collect?

Seer Questel

Re:starting s.m.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 12:08:03 AM »
well,
it depends on your style of play,

Blood angels, Black Templars and Space Wolves are all excelent assualting chapters, with special squad options and special rules.

Salamanders and Dark Angels are both great Shooty chapters, thanks to their special rules and options

White Scars and raven wing are both very fast chapters (they both got lotta bikes)

Deathwing can do what ever you want them too really, but their probably better in combat then shooting

Normal (codex) marines, can adopt either assult or shooty.

all depends on your style of play..........

Volren

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 12:11:07 AM »
After playing Tau, Dark Angels might be the closest match, but vanilla isn't bad either...

Deathwing is not a good army for someone who's beginning.

You can also consider Iron Hands (very cool, thinking about starting them myself), for the Iron Father, Venerable Dread, etc.

Raven Guard is also an option, they are fast as well.

Offline Colonel-Commissar Ghostmaker

• Fluff Master
  • Straight Silver! Straight Silver!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 12:14:07 PM »
White Scars and raven wing are both very fast chapters (they both got lotta bikes)

Deathwing can do what ever you want them too really, but their probably better in combat then shooting

Ravenwing R not a chapter. They are the 2nd company of the Dark Angels (rock on) and DW are the first company.

I wouldn't really recommend either of these (4 a SMurf begginer) but you might want to go DA unless you want a change of tactics in which case go 4 vannila, BA, SW or BT. I  would highly reccomend White Scars 4 a mobile army or Ravenwing if you think that you can handle it.

You may also want to try Chaos SMurfs. Wait a minute. You do not want 2 try chaos SMurfs.

Ghostmaker
Check out my Fluffman thread:
http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=24599;start=0
Quality fluff free of charge!

Check out the worlds best wargaming comic site: http://www.larryleadhead.org/

This one requires Quick Time and a sense of humour:
http://www.thekeeponline.com/radio/TakestheCall.mp3

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 02:11:53 PM »
I think he meant the Ravenwing has their own armylist.

Anargo, both the Iron Hands and the Raven Guard are very cool. The Raven Guard are my army and I built my friend Marc's Iron Hands army.

Offline Poe, the Sociopath

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Imperial Vengence at its finest.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 06:23:21 PM »
really it is what you want

Shooty: DA all the way! they are like the Imperial version of Tau, trust me i have both armies.  Same basic strat, sit back and shoot.  Salies are good, but you got to get in close, but if you do hehehe!

CC:Blood angels or Black Templar, this would be hard for you, adopting assualting tactics and such, but hey if thats what you want go ahead!

Either or: Vanilla or the Pups(space wolfs): vanilla is quite obvious, but agaisnt many peoples beleifs the pups can get very shooty VERY fast!

i am only going to mention the ones with the codex cuz i don't really know the rules for the other chapters but i will soon (well for some getting Index AStras 2 soon)

GM Azbodan
Rosethorn wishes Aegis; Whisperless Void.

From death I come for you!

Offline franklin_d23

• -franklin_d23-
    • My 40k Site
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 09:00:38 PM »
     i think i'll do black templars, i know assault tactics like the back of my hand, like 70% of the games i've played are with my friends who plays orks, and we win 80% of the time. So i thin ki'll have fun playing B.T.

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 11:09:09 PM »
Go space Wolves!
i was going to go SW, but SoB are toooooooo cool  ;D
They have great combat (not as good as BA), good shooting (not as good as DA). They are a good all puropse army. except their Jump Pack troops aren't so great :-\.
Plus they have cool fluff (not set up like standard chapters. Are more... barbaic, but in a cool way, etc), great models (lots of wolf pelts, tails etc. especially Logan Grimnar).
SPACE WOLVES!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 12:05:08 AM by Colonel Eller »
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline JamesBot 9000

• He who begged to be a Moderator - Commissar- Official 40kO Sucker - 40kOnline's Wingman
  • Ancient
  • It's on now, chaps!
    • Out-of-Plane Labs
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 12:17:05 AM »
Well, it seems like other people have already covered the various chapters pretty well, but they all forgot one thing: Blood Angel armies can have SIX Dreadnoughts! 3 Furioso's (Elites) and 3 regular (Heavy Support). You usually won't take six, of course, but you can still take more(4 or 5) than other chapters will(1 or 2).

The "I build robots" badge (LEVEL IV)
In which, technically, the recipient is not in the business of world domination (as dictated by membership rules*), but has built a robot that is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Herr.Erdnuss
Quote from: Jimmy said this last night in a dark closet
"Sorry, Jimmy can not resist!"
There were no survivors.

Offline ZEDBOR

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 08:52:34 AM »
Go space wolves geat fluff. Cool min. and you wont need as many of them starting off.There basic troop grey hunters are 17 pts 18 pts if you give them a bolter. So on average you will have less fig. than other chapters. they also have some nice special rules.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 07:52:58 PM »
Go space Wolves!
i was going to go SW, but SoB are toooooooo cool  ;D
They have great combat (not as good as BA), good shooting (not as good as DA). They are a good all puropse army. except their Jump Pack troops suck  >:(.
Plus they have cool fluff (not set up like standard chapters. Are more... barbaic, but in a cool way, etc), great models (lots of wolf pelts, tails etc. especially Logan Grimnar).
SPACE WOLVES!!!!!!!!!

and leman russ exterminator... yum

cheap alternative to the LRcrusader that only wolves can get

Eller, like wolves? go to:
http://www.mindspring.com/~rhanlav/

amazing wolf site..

Offline DMan

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 09:42:51 PM »
     i think i'll do black templars, i know assault tactics like the back of my hand, like 70% of the games i've played are with my friends who plays orks, and we win 80% of the time. So i thin ki'll have fun playing B.T.

I was going dis' the Black Templar  :-X , but before I do that...

How are you going to make your BT army COOL?

There are a lot of really boring BT armies out there, that rely on the <bites tongue> vows to win. Just do a search on BT army suggestions... look at the similarities between the lists. <shakes head>

Do something original/difficult/noticable...
- Deathwing - all termies. Try taking on your opponent with 1/2 to 1/4 of their troops.
- Ravenwing - hard to win with, but can be devestating
- a Blood Angels Scout force: scouts, scout bikes & minimal HQ
- heck, even an Ultramarines 9th company - lots o'Devestators. Bring 3 Devestator squads & 2-3 dreads in every army.

Offline Cutlass442

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • American Muscle
Re: starting s.m.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 11:26:00 PM »
Ravenwing?  Hard to win?  with that many meltas/heavy bolters runnin' around...???

smurf army hard to win... now i have heard it all.

Offline Karl Eller

• OMG Laserguns!, Colonel-Commissar
  • Ancient
  • This is madness?! THIS IS LINUX!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 12:13:49 AM »
Compared to most SMurf armies, yes Ravenwing are difficult to win with. They are the Marine version of Mechanised IG. Few troops with alot of fire-power, but pretty fragile.
"Explain how bad this turbulence will be"
"Oh god! Oh god! We're going to die"
"*over the intercom* Uh, this is your captain speaking, we're going to experience a few minor bumps, then uh... crash!"

Offline S-D-W_Jedi

• AHhhhh Behind u! look Out
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 05:27:56 AM »
Relioters (sry wrong spelling) basicly normal with
deapon weapons and choas standard and r very flully

sry bout wrong spelling i'm really tired

In Realm of Runes
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In Realm of Runes
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In Realm of Runes
Come on now, people, make a stand
In Realm of Runes, in Realm of Runes
Can't you see we need a hand
In Realm of Runes
Come on, protect the warhammer land
In Realm of Runes
Come on and join your fellow race

RedSniper

Offline DMan

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 10:00:45 PM »
Ravenwing?  Hard to win?  with that many meltas/heavy bolters runnin' around...???

smurf army hard to win... now i have heard it all.

One of the better players I play with has a Ravenwing army. He's outnumbered 2:1 by Marines and 3:1 or 4:1 by anyone else. A couple of early losses and a Ravenwing force is toast! Also, it is really hard for a Ravenwing force to wipe out a large enemy force, they just dont have enough firepower to do it, or big enough squads to break the enemy in hth.

He does well with them, but they sure aren't an easy army to use.