News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So Gorkonaughts or Morkonaughts?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
So Gorkonaughts or Morkonaughts?
« on: August 1, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
Got 2 coming in and as soon as I figure out that part I'll get the wiring diagram for the LEDs built and put these guys together.  Since I all ready have all the other walkers I'm going to field the Dreadbash data slate. 

If anyone has a link in the US to the chips I'll need to make them blink send it my way. 

Any thoughts? 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: So Gorkonaughts or Morkonaughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
I'm a little vague on the differences, but I know my semi-regular ork opponent has been disappointed with the shooting of his Morkanaught while his Gorkanaught took out half my army by himself.  That's from a fairly limited sampling though. ^_^;

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
Even though I recently built a Naught, for me they just don't have the umph to make them really worthwhile for the points.  Of course I haven't glanced at the formation your planning to use, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Between the two, I think the Mork is the better choice.  With the KFF, which of course you'd put on, its the more expensive of the two, but giving the guys around it the Invul will really help, not to mention help turn the Mork into more of a bullet sponge, which trust me you want (anything to pull shots off of boyz mobs is a necessity with the new Mob Rule).

More than survivability though, I think the KMB is a better choice than the Flamer, and barring a real dreadful scatter I think you'll usually hit just as many if not more enemy models with the KMK than the Deffstorm.  Of course that's not mathhammered, it's just my opinion, the 3D6 shots is appetizing, but unless you have mad D6 luck I don't see it rolling more than 9 or 10 on average and that's before rolling To Hit.  Now if you could mount a Gitfinda on a Gork maybe I'd be more inclined to give it a shot, but even then I still think you're more likely to do better damage with the blast.

The one game I've seen so far using a Nought was of the Gork variety, but it didn't last very long.  Even with the 5 HP the noughts just aren't as survivable as you'd imagine just with the relative standard array of heavy weapons.  If your local meta isn't filled with Lascannons, B/D Lances, or Gauss I think you'll have a better chance with a Nought than most, especially if your taking a gaggle of other walkers which I'd imagine is the Dreadbash slate.

As for the electronics I unfortunately have nothing, but I'd recommend finding a hobby train store in your area, a lot of model train hobby-ests use blinking LEDs, so there's a chance that such a shop might have something on hand that you could use.  There's even an outside chance they could help with a how-to, but you'd have to get really lucky with that.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »
The LEDs aren't a problem I've lit up tons of models.  Thinking I'll go with Morks for the INV save since The Dread list is an army of walkers. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
I got one for my b-day.  I am going to magnatize the guns and the KFF so I can interchange it.   I would love to light him up because like the stompa they have a lot of room I have never done it before so I am not sure about it.  The opening doors would make it easy to put the batteries in though.   

Ollieb, if you do end up lighting him up a tutorial would be great for those of us who have never played with LED's but have always wanted to.

Found a few 9v kits....   are you using 3mm or 5mm LED's?
« Last Edit: August 7, 2014, 06:26:05 PM by angel of death 007 »