News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 list  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
1850 list
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:28:10 PM »
I'm playing in a tournament soon and I know I will be facing Tyranids and Chaos flavors (demonkin, marines, and demons).

I have no problem getting anything if someone wants to suggest a new unit.  Also looking for critique on wargear selections.

Hunter Cadre 1850
Commander 2x Fusion Gun, Puretide engram chip, Eridium Armor
2x Shield Drones

Elites
Riptide with Ion Accelerator, TLSM, EWO

3x Crisis Suits with 2x Fusion guns each. Shas'vre upgrade. Shield drone

Fast Attack
Drone squad with 7x Marker Drones

Two squads of 5 pathfinders

Heavy Support
Stormsurge with TL Airburst Frag Launcher, Pulse driver cannon, Shield, EWO

Troops
2x 10 Kroot
10 Fire Warriors with Devilfish and Shas'ui

Optimized Stealth Cadre
2x Stealth Battlesuits. Shas've with Fusion Gun and Target Lock/Marker Light
Ghostkeel with TL fusion and Fusion Collider
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:29:12 PM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1850 list
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
Commander 2x Fusion Gun, Puretide engram chip, Eridium Armor
2x Shield Drones

To run with the other Crisis Suits, yes? I've got two things to say here: (1) If you're shooting 8 Fusion Blasters at something, do you really need the Puretide Engram? I suppose it gives you some flexibility, but it isn't going to be doing as much as it would, say, with a pack of Missile Pods. Also, (2) with the exception of Imperial Knights and the odd Wraithknight, when do you need to shoot something with 8 Fusion Blasters? I'd try to throw some Target locks on the Crisis Suits just for the sake of flexibility.

Elites
Riptide with Ion Accelerator, TLSM, EWO

Love it. No advice. Optimal build, in my opinion.

3x Crisis Suits with 2x Fusion guns each. Shas'vre upgrade. Shield drone

See above for most of my comments here. The other one is to ditch the Shas'vre in favor of some Target Locks.

Fast Attack
Drone squad with 7x Marker Drones

Two squads of 5 pathfinders

17 Markerlights is too many. I would ditch at *least* one of those teams of pathfinders in exchange for more guns of some kind somewhere. Frankly I think the marker drones should be sufficient.

Heavy Support
Stormsurge with TL Airburst Frag Launcher, Pulse driver cannon, Shield, EWO

This should make your enemies sad. Good work.

Troops
2x 10 Kroot
10 Fire Warriors with Devilfish and Shas'ui

Kroot without Sniper Rounds are Kroot wasted. As for the Firewarriors, I'd recommend the Disruption Pod for their Fish--keeps them alive longer, get them where they're going. With the inclusion of the Shas'ui, I infer you plan on using this unit to take an objective and hold it? If such is the case, consider Pulse Carbines instead of Rifles. Pinning doesn't *usually* work, but the days of everything causing pinning to everything is gone and you might surprise somebody. In any case, if they're running upfield to take some midfield objective, the Pulse Rifle range isn't strictly needed.

Optimized Stealth Cadre
2x Stealth Battlesuits. Shas've with Fusion Gun and Target Lock/Marker Light
Ghostkeel with TL fusion and Fusion Collider

I assume those are teams of 3 Stealths apiece, yes?

I love this formation, but I don't like the Fusion that much. If you're looking to take out vehicles, the Ion Raker is all you need in most instances--you're pumping bullets up their tailpipes with the Wall of Mirrors thing, so the Melta ability you can do without and the extra shots are much nicer. Keep the Fusion Blasters on the Ghostkeel, sure, but ditch them everywhere else.

Also: dump the Markerlights on the Shas'vre (you have way too many markerlights already) and dump the Shas'vre altogether. With the points saved from all of that you can buy yourself another stealth suit or, if you'd prefer, a gun drone for each unit. Use the savings from the Fusion Blasters to get Drone Controllers and you've added to your offensive output.

Overall I think you're spending too much on toys in this list and not enough on actual guns and bodies. It isn't a bad list by any means, but you could trim some fat.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:16:31 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:32:41 PM »
I appreciate the thoughtful critique, particularly with the stealth teams.  I have found them to be a costly unit without getting much back from them.  If I need to kill a vehicle the ghostkeel with it's two meltas usually turns something to slag.

The 8 fusion guns are my superheavy/gargantuan creature killer.  Everyone seems to run a knight, a GC, a wraith knight, or some other big nasty.  The puretide is there to help ensure the kill after they deep strike and then provide counter attack or stubborn to help against the threat of CC.  The game I played yesterday I had the skyfire warlord trait.  They dropped in and shot a heldrake, had 4 pins and a glance, and only got the glance and a weapon destroyed result through. 

Basic Changes
Dropped the shas'vre from both stealth teams
Dropped 1 unit of pathfinders
Added Target locks to all the crisis suits and the Commander
Added sniper rounds to the kroot (I wanted to do this before and couldn't figure out where to get the points from)
Added disruption pod to the devilfish

This leaves me with a whopping 40 points left. 

Any suggestions on what to do with 40 points? Add an extra stealth suit?
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »
Hmmmm...the fun thing about Tau is there's a lot of places to spend 40 points.

Well, you could get another Stealth Suit, yeah. You could also buy Shas'vre with Homing Beacons on the Stealths (to help your suits, should you drop them in). You could buy some more drones. A bare-bones Pirhana (not especially worth it without the Fusion Blaster).

You could get a Krootox or just more Kroot/Firewarriors.

You could get a cheap Flamer/Burst Cannon monat Crisis Suit (or, better, if you can scare up 2 more points, one with 2x Burst Cannon).

A bunch of different possibilities, really.