News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Lizardmen Playstyle?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
New Lizardmen Playstyle?
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I do not have the Lizardman codex. I've haven't played Warhammer in years. I don't know the first thing about modern Warhammer.

Thankfully, I don't think that matters for this post. I've thought about getting back into Warhammer for a while, and I'm wondering how the newest Lizardman codex looks?

I'm looking to play a more elite style of army, with a relatively low model count. I'd like to be able to use a few of the larger dinosaur models. What can I say... I'm a big 4 year old. :) I'm not usually fond of an overt reliance on Magic, which I think the last codex had for competitive builds?

So I'm wondering, does it look like I could build a relatively competitive army with few models, a good number of "Big Dinos" and light on magic?

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
Re: New Lizardmen Playstyle?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »
Magic 8-ball says "ask again later" as it's only on pre-order

It won't get released for another two weeks....
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
Ahhh, poop.

I just saw something about new Lizards being released, and got looking at some of the pretty pictures of Dino models, and didn't even check to see if it had been released yet.

I'll try again in a couple of weeks, then. :)

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
I can offer insight as a lizard player, the short answer is yes its more viable to run big dinos now that its ever been. With the options of having carnosaurs in both the Lord and Heroes (yes thats right scar vets get to mount on Carnos) ancient steg ETOG being a mount for a skink priest in Heroes special and rare now able to front troglodons bastilidons and stegs it would be pretty easy to run a dino list and with skink priests able to have both heavens and beasts as their lores now even if all your going to do is run a couple priests they can still bring the hurt and turn themselves into dragons/manticores bringing even more beasties to the table.
the carno is something of a revolution as the box set actually allows you to make 4 kits although only minor differences you can get he special character krok Gar old blood on carno scarvet on carno and skink oracle on trog. so defo options there to go slannless
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »
Thank you kindly!

I had a chance to very briefly flip through the store copy of the Lizardman codex. Not knowing any of the rules for WHFB, it didn't mean much to me. :(

I think that 2000 points is the typical limit at my LGW. In your opinion, would you say that LM are / can be an "Elite" army, with few powerful models, or do they need to use a fairly large number of models to play effectively?

In my mind, Skaven would be a "Horde" army, while High Elves would tend to be an "Elite" army. Where would LM fit on that scale? Since I play IG with lots of duders, I know that I don't like to paint a lot of guys, so I'd rather start an army with lower model count and a fairly easy paint scheme, if I do start a fantasy army.

Offline Wiggus

• Happiness is Mandatory
  • Ancient
  • For the greater good!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
Its hard to quantify as even a non horde fantasy army (cept ogres) will be rocking upward of 60 models in my opinion. I tend to run at least 42 sauri 18 TG and a few skinks now i dont have the new rule book yet but cant see me taking any less than this because i need to fill my 25% core allowance. but saying that the standard for painting quality in Fantasy has a unusual take. i paint my first rank in full detail but each declining rank has less detail as you see less and less of them if i am 3 ranks back they get a base colour eyes and highlights on the back of the model as its all you will see so painting 42 guys isnt as bad as say 42 guardsmen. i shall be getting my book in a day or two and will give my opinion on it. I can also show a few of my lists and will do a 7th 8th comparision on a few too
My name is Steven Wilson
My friends call me Wiggy
My enemies call me Mr Wilson
You may call me Sir!
'Who Dares Wins'
'Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6'
'I love being a writer; I just dont like the paper work'
'Don't make me angry, you wont like it when im angry'

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.