News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: finally something nice  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
finally something nice
« on: November 5, 2018, 12:54:11 AM »

This has got to be one of the best sculpts...ever. I've been needing another ranger model and think this is the one I've been waiting for. Not just for 40k but even getting into the fortress game, which looks promising. For kill team as well. Now hopefully there will be a way to just buy him. I see him painted to match other randers or make him an autarch. Been a while since I got excited about a new eldar model, new jetbikes was the last and he's plastic.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: finally something nice
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2018, 07:33:59 AM »
Hard to say if the model will be sold separately. When silver tower came out, only some of the miniatures became available outside the game.

You'll probably be able to find it on eBay though, there are always folks on there selling split boxes.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2018, 04:08:51 PM »
In their latest preview it says the models will get their own datasheets for normal 40k! I'm definitely picking uo the set. My friends loved Heroes Quest when we were younger. Two of my buddies still have it too.

I think this ranger is a She. Not a he. At least the chest seems more busty than muscley.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »
Ha she is even better. I will get the model one way or another. It would probably get me to start using rangers again.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Rangers are quite good this edition. Less so now that the deep strike rules have changed. They're not needed as much for padding out your deployment zone. However they are still good character hunters and make for a cheap and an easy battalion base. Of course it does depend on your local meta.

Offline TheRulesLawyer

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
It's awesome we are getting one new sculpt, but I actually don't like the pose. She is quite 2 dimensional, her legs and arms are all on the same plane, and she is holding her weapons awkwardly. Although I understand that it is a mono-pose model in a board game so I shouldn't be too harsh.   

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
It's awesome we are getting one new sculpt, but I actually don't like the pose. She is quite 2 dimensional, her legs and arms are all on the same plane, and she is holding her weapons awkwardly. Although I understand that it is a mono-pose model in a board game so I shouldn't be too harsh.

Happy to see that I'm not alone in this... :) In my opinion the model is plain horrible. Not only she holds weapons awkwardly, but the position of legs and arms is fundamentally unnatural. And the pose and style look grotesque and vulgar overall. Her right thigh looks (at least in the picture) like her leather ranger leggings are held in place by straps, like stockings on a belt. I mean, come on, how vulgar is that...?

Not to mention that her pose is overall so puffed out and challenging, whereas a ranger should look composed and sneaky. This pose might actually be appropriate for a Banshee or an Autarch, but for a Ranger it's ridiculous - unless it's meant to look like a parody...
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: November 8, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
I think the model looks great. Considering she is a sniper, and a melee fighter, the challenging pose makes sense.

Here is the information we have on her so far.

Who Is She?
Hailing originally from the now-shattered Craftworld of Biel-Tan, Amallyn Shadowguide has travelled the webway for centuries. For her, the Blackstone Fortress represents a possible way to save her dying home and to make Biel-Tan whole again through the strange technologies within.

How Does She Play?

Amallyn Shadowguide is a fighter who excels at extremes – in classic Aeldari style! At long range, you’ll be able to snipe your opponents – but should they get close, you’ll be able to make short work of them with her power blade.

I expect she'll be a named character Elites choice in the booklet. A lot of these 'named troopers', end up as elites choices. I think all the Heros will be, except for maybe the Priest and the Rogue Trader, as there are precedents for those already.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2018, 10:27:31 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #8 on: November 8, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
Now it's hard to tell from the pic but I think it's armored knee caps with leather chaps. The paint job is very lack luster. Myself, I will probably file those off or shape the foot and it together to look like knee high boots. As for the sniper rifle, the pose has a look like Nightspear's. The idea of using her as an autarch is very promising too. Sorry seekingone that it's unappealing to you, I can't tell you how many times I saw a new model pic and went ewww until I held it in my hand. Maybe a different paint job might spark you.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #9 on: November 9, 2018, 02:44:55 AM »
I think the model looks great. Considering she is a sniper, and a melee fighter, the challenging pose makes sense.
Even if she is a melee fighter, she still isn't a Khorne berserker, nor some savage barbarian chieftain, right?

Sorry seekingone that it's unappealing to you, I can't tell you how many times I saw a new model pic and went ewww until I held it in my hand. Maybe a different paint job might spark you.
Now this might be true indeed, and that's what I'm hoping for. I also noticed the same thing on many occasions: "in person" the models tend to look far better than on pictures, and that happens particularly often with Eldar models for some reason.

But still... just now I've been scrolling through the pics of the Blackstone Fortress models on the site, and it struck me once again how weird this Eldar character looks compared to other characters in the game. Have you seen the Kroot mercenary? Now that's the right pose and attitude for a scout, or pretty much anyone who's armed with a long-barreled rifle. And literally all other characters also look like serious and composed guys who mean business, with the sole exception of the ranger who looks like a puffed-out and grotesque mess of limbs and weapons sticking out in all directions  ::) If the designers wanted an Eldar character to look grotesque in stark contrast to the rest of the crew, why didn't they make her a Drukhari Archon or Succubus?!

Oh well, I guess I can only wait for an opportunity to see the model in person and hope against hope that it looks far better up close :)

Sorry for this rant.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #10 on: November 9, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »
Haha you sound so much like me. I threw a fit when the new Talos came out years ago from the pics then i got one, assembled it and went, hmmm, not to bad. Same with daemonettes but I still like the old ones better. Necron wraiths, etc.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
Sadly she's not good or useful. For a small amount of points more you can just take five Rangers.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
Sadly she's not good or useful. For a small amount of points more you can just take five Rangers.

Yeah nothing in the rules set is that impressive, I don't think anyone outside of the board game is going to be fielding it that way.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:38 AM »
And she's Biel-Tan! :D Not a particularly characterful combination (and not the most popular Craftworld, to put it mildly).
They really should've made her a Drukhari pirate...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »
I'm actually just glad to have another ranger sculpt. I have originals and the ones available now so having a new one, ya.