News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: List V.S The Nids  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
List V.S The Nids
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:29:58 AM »
Okay, this is what I'm using against a nid player who has "80 guants and 9 warriors as HQ"

HQ

Command Squad
Senior Oficor-Power weapon, bolt pistol
Medic
2 flamers
Psyker
                                          Total-96

Elite
9 Hardend veterans with shotguns
Veteran sargent-Power weapon, Surveyor
Granade launcher
Flamer
                                           Total-85

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Command Squad
Junior officer, bolt pistol, power weapon
Morter
                                             Total-56

Squad A

Veteran Sarge-boltpistol
Autocannon
Granade launcher

Total-90

Squad B is the same as Squad A

Total-90

Squad C

Vetran Sarge, boltpistol
Missile launcher
Granade launcher

Total-90

Squad D

Veteran, bolypistol
Lascannon
Plasmagun

Total102

Armoured Fist Squad

Sargent, plasma pistol
meltagun

Total-96

Chimera
Multilaser
Heavybolter
stormbolter
smokelancher
                                                  Total-98

Fast Attack

Sentinel
Multie laser
                                                    Total-45

Hellhound
                                                     Total-115

Heavy Support

Leamon Russ
Lascannon
Heavybolters
                                                    Total- 165

Doctrines:

Close order drill

Models- 70
Tanks-4
Points 1110

What do yall think?
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Imperial Kelly

Re: List V.S The Nids
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:37:21 AM »
not sure what a surveyor is gonna do on a unit with 12" guns.  You're better off putting it in one of your infantry squads.

I'd also drop the bolt pistols on your sargeants for either bolters or stormbolters.  I suggest a banner in your HQ.

If your troop command squad is going to be hidden with the mortar, i'd drop the bolt pistol and power weapon.  Gaunts have a 6+ save anyways, so power weapons aren't that effective.

Maybe with points saved, you can get a remnant squad with a flamer.  Nids aren't too fond of flamers.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:47 AM »
Command Squad
Senior Oficor-Power weapon, bolt pistol
Medic
2 flamers
Psyker
                                          Total-96
Demote the SO to a JO. A Senior Officer has no real advantage of a Junior Officer, the extra wound and weapon skill will only ever be usefull in combat, where the Command HQ shouldn't be. If the officer is in assault, units can't benefit from his leadership bubble, and since his leadership is the same as a JO's, it's not worth the points.

9 Hardend veterans with shotguns
Veteran sargent-Power weapon, Surveyor
Granade launcher
Flamer
                                           Total-85
I'm with Kelly on this, a surveyer won't be much use in this unit, drop it.

Command Squad
Junior officer, bolt pistol, power weapon
Morter
                                             Total-56
Well enough, although mortar is spelt with an 'a'.

Veteran Sarge-boltpistol
Autocannon
Granade launcher

Total-90
Don't bother upgrading your sargeants to veterans, they can't make good use of most wargear, and a JO's leadership bubble gives the squad the same leadership for free.

Vetran Sarge, boltpistol
Missile launcher
Granade launcher

Total-90
See above.

Veteran, bolypistol
Lascannon
Plasmagun

Total102
See above above.

Armoured Fist Squad

Sargent, plasma pistol
meltagun

Total-96

Chimera
Multilaser
Heavybolter
stormbolter
smokelancher
                                                  Total-98
I'd take a second infantry platoon against 'nids, but whatever.

Sentinel
Multie laser
                                                    Total-45
Consider an autocannon instead, since you're hunting Tyrannids with it.

Hellhound
                                                     Total-115
Well enough

Leamon Russ
Lascannon
Heavybolters
                                                    Total- 165
Well enough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:00:12 AM by Khemri, the Laughing Man »

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:16:44 AM »
Demote the SO to a JO. A Senior Officer has no real advantage of a Junior Officer, the extra wound and weapon skill will only ever be useful in combat, where the Command HQ shouldn't be. If the officer is in assault, units can't benefit from his leadership bubble, and since his leadership is the same as a JO's, it's not worth the points.
It's Nids we're talking about, there's a chance the Command HQ would be attacked one point in time, even if you hide them. Sides, the Command Squad is kitted out for frontline duty. The JO from the Infantry Platoon is providing the leadership.

I'd take a second infantry platoon against 'nids, but whatever.
While that is true, do not underestimate the firepower of a Chimera. A 3-3-3 shot combo can bring down many a Nid swarm. Having the Chimera as a roadblock works very well as well. Work in conjuction with the Hellhound for Swarm burning action, and a very nasty roadblock (remember the 1" rule).

Consider an autocannon instead, since you're hunting Tyrannids with it.
Disagree. Most Nids don't get a save from the Multilaser, so get the extra shot at a cheaper price. Try to use the Sentinel to contact the Nid Swarms for Gaunt Locking action (avoid if Toxin Sacs present).

Leamon Russ
Lascannon
Heavybolters
                                                    Total- 165
Question, what is the lascannon for? Don't tell me it's anti-MC, cos one lascannon shot a turn is not going to bring down a 5 wound Carnifex or a Hive Tyrant with Tyrant Guard any quickly. I'll rather you drop it and get heavy bolters all round, and extra armour to block against opportunistic Warp Blasts. Provides for better bug squishing IMO.

Overall an ok list, though i have qualms about the number of men though. You have armour to back you up though, so that's fine.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »
I agree a few mortars will be worthwhile on your HQ if they are a leadership HQ.  Drop the bolt pistols, if you gonna spend the points for a gun go for a storm bolter.  Also, drop any and all medics, because if the gaunts get to you, then you won't need a medic for a 5 man squad because you'll be dead.  For the vets see if you can squeeze a few more points get get some more grenade launchers.  There are only 2 good squads in IG with BS 4 use them to the max extent. I like the sentinel choice mutli-laser makes sense as does the autocannon, but personal choice autocannon would be good for anti-warrior gun.  If you had 2 of them that would be ideal.  Hellhounds is always a good choice, 2 of them is even better.  Good luck
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:05:02 PM »
Demote the SO to a JO. A Senior Officer has no real advantage of a Junior Officer, the extra wound and weapon skill will only ever be useful in combat, where the Command HQ shouldn't be. If the officer is in assault, units can't benefit from his leadership bubble, and since his leadership is the same as a JO's, it's not worth the points.
It's Nids we're talking about, there's a chance the Command HQ would be attacked one point in time, even if you hide them. Sides, the Command Squad is kitted out for frontline duty. The JO from the Infantry Platoon is providing the leadership.
Fair enough, I just think there's something basically wrong with Guard actually trying to get into assault. Hmm... in that case, I might actually push for a JO with the Honorifica. Cheaper than an HSO, but with all the same benefits, and not much of a hike if he drops or downgrades a few other things, like the Russ' lascannon to a heavy bolter, and maybe the Sentinel's multilaser to a heavy flamer, for immolating gaunts, then assaulting and locking them.

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I'll make a few alterations before tonight's game.

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
Okay, this is what I'm using against a nid player who has "80 guants and 9 warriors as HQ"

Allright, I'm going to reply with this in mind.

1.) don't take anything more powerful than a heavy bolter. He has NO high strength OR low armor save units. Plus, warriors can't be "instant death"ed.

2.) Seriously, take heavy bolters. You will notice that the tyrannid will tend to spread out a little, especially if they know that you have blast weapons, but they will even if you don't. That being said, the missile launcher is a poor excuse for a bug hunting weapon, as the only advantage (longer range) is negated by their speed.

3.) drop the special weapons (except flamers). They will charge in, quickly. You will probably never get to fire 2x in a turn with a plasma gun, frag grenades aren't going to get too many in a blast marker (unless he's a dumbass, as they can glide through cover without problems). My only beef with the flamer is it's terrible range compared to a unit that can assault you from 18" away. There may yet be some use for them, though.

4.) drop the multilasers. Multilasers and heavy bolters do the same thing, in this case, but the heavy bolter will punch through warrior armor. Kind of handy when they have two wounds apiece, and can't be instantly killed.

5.) drop the russ. The battlecannon will only make your enemy spread out more, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Sure, it's going to be hard for your enemy to kill, but it's not going to be making a whole lot of kills itself, especially when they get into close combat range. Don't expect this unit to make its points back.

6.) with the 250+ pts. of units and upgrades that won't do anything against his list, I'd suggest you take another hellhound, another chimera with 2x HB's and a stubber, and use the rest to get more heavy bolters.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »
Thank for the help all. I didn't have the resources to change most of it, but I made a few alterations. Unfortunately, I still got krumped, :P but it was a fun game. I'll put up a battle report tonight or tomorrow.

Mr.Squid