News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What the hell should I do with my old Land Raiders and Rhinos?!  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Galadian122

• Ork Yoof
  • Steam Roller.
I started off with Black Templars more than 10 years ago. I amassed a huge army in a few years, until I started guard. After that, I never touched them again. Well, sorta never. I converted a bunch of the infantry into Chaos guys. I also converted a bunch of Rhinos into Chaos rhinos. Unfortunately, as I said, I had a huge army. 40K was my only real hobby at the time and 10 marines were $20-25 bucks. ;)

Even after converting all the vehicles I need/want for Chaos, I still have a huge amount just sitting around. I have 4 Land Raiders (2 Crusader, two normal) and nearly half a dozen rhinos left over.

I'm thinking with a little bit of ingenuity, I can turn my Rhinos into Chimeras. Has anyone done this before? A link to pictures/articles?

What could I turn my Land Raiders into? They're far too small to be a Baneblade. What if I turned them into a Malcador or equivalent?

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: What the hell should I do with my old Land Raiders and Rhinos?!
« Reply #1 on: October 7, 2011, 10:30:32 PM »
Razorbacks make for easier conversions... but by piling some extra armour on the front of the Rhino, you could represent the higher AV on the front of a Chimera. A little battle damage to the sides could indicate a weakened hull. ;)

From there, assuming you're going for a "Chaos-y" feel, you could have a roughly cut hole in the front, with a Heavy weapon poking through to represent the hull weapon, and a guy with a big gun in the cupola area of the Rhino could represent the turret. A man-portable Multi-laser would be a fluff stretch, since they're only available on vehicles normally, but if you're cool with a Heavy Flamer or Heavy Bolter turret, fluff is a non-issue.

I'd thought about using a "looted" Chaos Rhino for a Chimera, in the previous incarnation of my Guardsmen, and even started work on it, but never finished. I decided my boys looked too much like the rebels from Hoth for my liking, and I started to repaint them in Cadian colours.

I think it could be made to work quite easily.

As for the Raiders, you could turn them into Russ variants with weapon swaps and by adding a turret or something...
« Last Edit: October 7, 2011, 10:35:03 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 7, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »
For the raiders you could convert them to Russ varients, i've seen that done. I've also seen raiders turned into Macharius's; their second gen baneblade sized between a russ and a baneblade, check out forgeworld.

I know i've seen some tutorials/ progress logs for the above, ill see if i can find some and post them back here later.

Offline Galadian122

• Ork Yoof
  • Steam Roller.
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2011, 01:44:42 AM »
Minor mistake. I've already converted 6 Rhinos for Chaos and I won't be needing any more. I've got 4 or 5 left over Black Templar Rhinos that I want to convert. They're all kind of beat up from being knocked around for a few years.

I'll look into the Macharius tanks.

Thanks for the help so far guys.  ;D

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »
Unless you really want to convert them I'd recommend selling them on ebay or perhaps trading them on this very site.

The landraiders especially keep their value very well and you could sell those and buy whatever you fancy for your imperial guard or chaos armies.

For converting purposes perhaps you could start playing orks as rhinos make for great trucks and landraiders are super as battlewagons :D Add in a few black reach ork squads which are dirt cheap and a big mek then hey-presto ork army 8)

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
I agree with Wisdom: Raiders and Rhinos have great swap potential with new Marine players popping up everywhere. Even I'm starting to get that old familiar itch...Crimson Fists? Salamanders again? My own chapter?

I could imagine you'd get a lot of enjoyment mixing the vehicles up with some Trukk/Battlewagon kits for a good sized ork army. For me, many hybrid vehicles end up looking a mess unless they're orkied up.

Offline ppTevrast

• This is not the Farseer your looking for
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
Hey Galadian122,

Are these the Mk 1 Land Raiders, with the tracks running exposed along the entire circumference? Or the newer (Mk 2?) raiders?

If they are the Mk 1 Land Raiders, you may have more trouble finding a new player to take them off your hands. If they are the Mk 2, then no problem!

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #7 on: October 9, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
Actually if they are the old MK1 ones then they are worth reasonable money as many players prefer them, this may be affected by forgeworld releasing a replica shortly.

Offline Galadian122

• Ork Yoof
  • Steam Roller.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »
Does anyone have those links for converting the Raiders into Macharius tanks?

I have 2 Crusaders, a Lascannon one, and an original one lying around.

I don't really want to collect another army. I'm having trouble enough keeping afloat with all the shiny things I want to buy for my guard.