News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 85634 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 01:57:28 AM »
Sooooo: Angel of Death 007! A whole bunch of 40K sitting in the back of your cupboard? If you don't get into 8TH ED you'll let me know, won't you!... Maybe?

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 04:01:47 AM »
I've got to be honest I definitely seem to be in the minority when it comes to this edition change.
To me the FAQ says absolutely nothing that we didn't already know/suspect. Fantasy has been a trial ground for 40k for a few editions now and we knew that certain bits of Age Of Sigmar would be appearing in 8th.
I don't see why people are gushing over the "3 ways to play" comment. That's exactly what we have now..... Open is unbound, Matched play is the current and then Narrative you have Altar of War missions/ Campaign missions or you can make your own. I really can't see anything much changing here.

To be entirely honest everything I read just worries me more, I find Age of Sigmar bland and boring and I really don't want 40k to go that way. I've continued to paint models that I already have but I've not bought anything in months and I'm not in a hurry to.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 05:13:08 AM »
I'm somewhat indifferent towards the change. I was happy when 5th went away but failed to play anywhere near as many games during 6th and 7th combined. Stopped playing Fantasy completely when AoS dropped, seeing how things got streamlined in a way that I found unacceptable; still have some 5k Dwarfs Disposessed gathering dust.

I still view AoS as a very week game and as an excuse to drop grossly overpriced new kits for armies that essentially consist of three different boxes (a trend which also happens in 40k; Admech, Hybrids). "The game you wanted with the setting you love" sounds encouraging - the setting change for WHFB killed it completely for me and not even free rules would change that.

I really hope GW does not drop the ball on this one. And if they do, our group will simply continue to play 7th, since we all invested quite a bit in print releases the past couple of years.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 05:17:17 AM by Katamari Damacy »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 06:18:57 AM »
Aurics Pride: Feel like a bit of a sell out after reading your reply. Then after thinking about it, I've totally forgotten 7TH ED was set out like that. We didn't use any other system but the core rules. We didn't even use the mission cards. We'll probably do the same with 8TH. Good call, mate!

Katamari Damacy: Have never looked at AoS before. I spent a lot of money on two Fantasy armies and didn't even get a game in before they pulled the curtains on us. Still painting them up though and plan to have some games, but still feel a little ripped off.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
Sooooo: Angel of Death 007! A whole bunch of 40K sitting in the back of your cupboard? If you don't get into 8TH ED you'll let me know, won't you!... Maybe?

I've held on to it this long I will see it out too many hours painting that I can never get back or get paid for to make it worth while.

I've got to be honest I definitely seem to be in the minority when it comes to this edition change.

I don't see why people are gushing over the "3 ways to play" comment. That's exactly what we have now..... Open is unbound, Matched play is the current and then Narrative you have Altar of War missions/ Campaign missions or you can make your own. I really can't see anything much changing here.

When every organizer for a tournament has to come up with custom rules just to host a 40k tournament which GW could give a crap about in 6th and 7th I don't see how you can argue there is such a thing as "matched" play.

I'm somewhat indifferent towards the change. I was happy when 5th went away but failed to play anywhere near as many games during 6th and 7th combined. Stopped playing Fantasy completely when AoS dropped, seeing how things got streamlined in a way that I found unacceptable; still have some 5k Dwarfs Disposessed gathering dust.

I still view AoS as a very week game and as an excuse to drop grossly overpriced new kits for armies that essentially consist of three different boxes (a trend which also happens in 40k; Admech, Hybrids). "The game you wanted with the setting you love" sounds encouraging - the setting change for WHFB killed it completely for me and not even free rules would change that.

I really hope GW does not drop the ball on this one. And if they do, our group will simply continue to play 7th, since we all invested quite a bit in print releases the past couple of years.

5th went away and so did tournaments.  Pick up games required that you have a library of books and then in 7th a massive amount of formations.  Rules on top of rules and we fix 6th to 6.5 or 7th how?  by adding more rules.   

Die hard fantasy lovers hated to see Age of Sigmar but honestly fantasy only really catered toward veteran players.  Being a new fantasy player a few years back I can honestly say it was extremely complex to pick up and learn.   AOS solved that brought in new gamers without all the time spent in movement and formation movement.

"not even free rules will change that"  well better then the $80 for a rulebook that after reading it you never use.   I bought the rulebook in 6th edition and 7th and i think using it for toilet paper would be an insult to my toilet. 

I for one have been waiting for GW to flush all this rules on top of rules and putting out a library of books crap.  They got modern their competitors offer free rules online.  Hopefully this is an end to the $50 codex book, and supplement book, and then downloads just to try and play an army which who knows if that tournament will use what parts of what because GW couldn't build a balancing that supported organized play.

GW lost $200 a month from 6th edition onward from me.   I know several other veterans that gave up or sold their collection after 6th came out.  I have tried more games and a few have stuck since giving up my 40k addiction.  We shall see if 8th gives us back the game we once loved.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
Here is the information from the live FAQ today.

Q: Working with a couple concepts, change movement, armor modifiers, new way of doing charges, if you charge you strike first, morale changes.
A: Yes. these were concepts discussed at Adepticon.

Q: Any specific rules around vehicles and armor values?
A: No armor value anymore. All models use the same type of stat line. Big tanks get wounded (all have a damage table and stats decrease). Different for every model. Keeps vehicles through the game. Str and Toughness works where everyone can hurt everyone. (sounds like AoS there)

Q: Will each army keep its current play style?
A: Yes they are trying to keep the styles similar.

Q: Is the game still a D6 system?
A: Yes it is

Q: How long does a game take in comparison to a 1500 point game now?
A: Games were taking 3.5 hours during team tournament in 7th at Adepticon. 1500 points is about 90min. Games should take about 2 hours in general.

Q: Support for narrative play allowing connections to offshoots such as Shadow War?
A: Yes absolutely. Lots of campaigns, war zones and lots of ways of reflecting the 40k galaxy.

Q: Will any models - miniatures and scenery NOT receive new rules in the new edition?
A: No. they are all in

Q: Command points? what can you tell us.
A: Charges fight first, armies playing to play style. One of the mechanisms is called Command Points which allows you to make the army. You generate command points based on how large the army is. (Reroll dice, interrupt charging going first with a command point, etc. They are super valuable and tactical to use. Once they are gone they are gone. Additional command points will be in the various codexes (see below) Command points will for example, not only define a Space Marine army - but also the FLAVOR of Space Marine Army.
Battle Forged - Force org is in during base and competitive play. About 14 different force orgs charts.

Q: Are codexes going away?
A: No. There will be new ones in the new edition.

Q: Are Templates going away?
A: Yes they are.

Q: Are there limits to command points?
A: Yes. 1 per phase and also by formation.

Q: Has the new edition been better tested?
A: yes. A lot. In the US. Frontline, Nova, and Adepticon have tested every single unit from every codex.

Q: How will I get access to the rules for my army
A: Everyone will get their new rules Day 1. On launch there will be a series of 5 books. On that day there will be all rules available. All points have been rebalanced and units have been play tested. When your codex comes out it will include new command points, etc. Army special rules, etc.

Q: Will broken units be taken down a peg?
A: All units have been play tested. At launch this will be the most robust and most balanced version we have.

Q: Will matched play session of the 3 ways to play be updated regularly?
A: Yes. Looking at AoS and how it was done. Book will come out annually which addresses all three styles of play.

Q: How will free rules be presented?
A: Digital and all of our stores and some independent stockiest will have a limited supply at launch in print format

Q: Will there be an App with an Army Builder like AoS
A: We are working on a WH40k App. Not available on launch but later.

Q: Will we see a specific set of tournament rules?
A: Not a specific set - but match play is a good start and some guidance to tournament organizers

Q: How can we be confident you have had enough time to do this for all models and rules?
A: Its been a long time in the making. We engaged with others quite awhile ago and we are pleased and confident that its going to be great.

Q: What were the Top 3 goals of the design team for this edition?
A: Lots of goals. 1 to make a game that worked for all three ways to play. Spent a lot of time on the background. Push to the forefront the battle between Imperium and Chaos. Thats not the rightful place. Chaos is the big threat to the galaxy. You will see that come through more over the next couple of years. Over the 2+ years that 7th has been around we have received a lot of feedback from players. This edition tried REALLY hard to make it the game you asked for. We are listening and trying to tick the boxes that you are asking for.

Q: When is the new edition being released?
A: This year. We will have more news on that very soon. But not today.

Q: Will we see more at Warhammer Fest?
A: Safe to assume we will show more there.

Q: With the advent of AoS we saw a lot of models disappear. Will the same thing happen to 40k?
A: No. All factions and models currently represented will be there.

Q: Will we have points on launch?
A: more than one set of them. We have two different ways to play. One called Power Level focused on narrative play, doesn’t matter what you equip with. broad brush stroke. Just for fun but has some structure.
Then there are matched play points which are more granular where you are paying points for models, weapons, equipment, etc.
Two different ways focused on the way you want to play.

Q: Some factions seem to be missing from the website
A: Site is from a narrative point of view. All factions are still there. (eg: Astra Militarum vs Tempestus Scions). its a very top level view of how things fit.

Q: Will we see any new factions we haven’t seen before?
A: Yes. New things on the way. (even for launch)

Q: What about monsters being effected by Damage?
A: As they get wounded they get weaker. Just like vehicles. Its very fun and narrative.

Q: Will bolters be able to damage tanks?
A: Yes everything can hurt everything - BUT its hard to do. No stat is capped at 10 any longer. The big heavy weapons cause multiple damage now.

Q: What sizes of games are supported?
A: All sorts of sizes. Match play scales through about 1000 points to much larger. Narrative play scales from about a 1000 to the skies the limit.

Q: What model has the highest wound count.
A: Knights are pretty high - but don’t recall off the top of head.

Q: Recognizable Force Org Chart?
A: Yes

Q: Allied forces still viable?
A: yes but it works differently now. Addresses Death Stars. Its a keyword driven system (like AoS) so some units will NOT play off of other units due to key word. Abilities are passed on to units they SHOULD be passed on to and not units they should not.

Q: Will there be deathstars in the game?
A: A tournament term - they normally come about as a result of holes in the rules and work as never anticipated. Things that don’t fit the narrative. The keywords help keep this in check. We can be much more in control of the synergies.

Q: Is close combat going to be viable again?
A: Absolutely. Its a huge part of the game and was missed before. You will see some changes.

Q: Will there be benefits to sticking to one faction?
A: Yes there will be. Mostly based on command points.

Q: What are you guys most looking forward to?
A: Looking forward to reaction to the finished product. We want to see how close we got to what people were asking for.

Q: FW Rules
A: Will be available in the same way though not necessarily the same place.

Q: Background change?
A: We aren’t going to radically change what 40k is about but we are going to advance the storyline and add more background.

Q: People asking about I bought a rulebook or codex fairly recently and now it won’t be valid. What should I do?
A: Everything we have launched in the new game - our customer service people will send vouchers for the value of their purchase for last 8 weeks if you have proof of purchase. Email customer service team on GW website and they will sort you out.

http://www.facebook.com/theindependentcharacters/?fref=nf

All looks pretty good to me!

Edit:  Broke the questions to make it easier to read.  --- GML
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:25:02 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
Thanks for that Killersquid. All sounds very interesting. Sounds like most of everybody's wish list is coming true. Only time will tell.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
I can't wait for 8th edition. Seems like a huge step in the right direction. I am very sad that a lot of my beloved formations will likely disappear. So many of the problems come from the tourney scene that use large points games. The game is so much better at 1500pts.

Irisado - Don't worry too much about the giant models. It seems that with the change to stats, profiles, and new modifiers they won't be a huge pain. They literally say, that everything can hurt anything now. 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »
The only thing that annoys me is the Str/Toughness change, but if they up everybody's wounds, then I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

It will be weird to see tanks potentially blown up by massed lasguns. Not sure I like that idea.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
I can't wait for 8th edition. Seems like a huge step in the right direction. I am very sad that a lot of my beloved formations will likely disappear. So many of the problems come from the tourney scene that use large points games. The game is so much better at 1500pts.

As a tournament player, 1500pts in 7th is as broken as 1850pts. Just quicker to play.

I'm glad for a big shake up.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 07:35:57 PM »
For me the most important points from the QandA are this:
-14 force org charts, the bigger the chart, the more command points earned
-Command points can be cashed in, 1 per phase, 1 use only. and there are MANY ways to use said points. (to interrupt charge going first for a specific fight etc) and a lot of those will be army themed.
-Templates are GONE!
-2 different point systems, narrative gets a general point per unit system. matched gets the in depth point system we know today.
-No more different stat line... Tanks and such have toughness and all that jazz. no more armour values. though, for both tanks and monsters... the more wounds they take, the less effective they will be... each individual monster/tank will have their own damage chart!
-NO MORE CAPPED 10 STATS! stats can go over 10.
-5 books total at the start to cover all of the armies points wise Marines, Imperial, Chaos, Xenos.... and one other they wouldn't name. codex's coming out as they go.

and... last but not least....
ENTIRELY NEW FACTIONS AT LAUNCH!

EDIT: adding this, as Pete Foley is clarifying stuff on twitter after the QandA. specifically... approx. 12 pages for the core rules. not including rules for the 3 different ways to play etc or army building rules.
Twitter source: Pete Foley on Twitter: "@Dried The core rules are around a dozen pages. But this

Other tidbits include:
-lasguns COULD kill a rhino.. but your looking at 50 to MAYBE bring it down?
-Random initiative is NOT coming to 40k, staying in AoS
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:22:53 PM by Mr Draken »
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
The only thing that annoys me is the Str/Toughness change, but if they up everybody's wounds, then I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

It will be weird to see tanks potentially blown up by massed lasguns. Not sure I like that idea.

From what I have heard on other sites it would take like 50 lasguns 11 turns to take out a landraider.  Something to that tune.   If you are going to devote that much firepower I am sure something else will destroy you.  Focusing all your firepower at one thing won't stop the rest of the army around it. 

So basically I don't see a single squad of guard taking out a land raider in one turn of shooting even a 50 man squad.  Now finishing off one after everything else hammers it and weakens it seems not only feasible but also realistic.   

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
GW just posted how stats will work. Dreadnoughts w/ 8 wounds. Termies w/ 2. Etc.

Str Vs Toughness is still there! Yay!

(I'm gonna need a *lot* of wound counters, it seems)

• Ancient
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »
Warhammer 40,000: Unit Profiles – Warhammer Community

I'm really really happy about this. This will help bring all units back to relivence.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 04:00:54 PM »
Uhhh, well, I feel like they are mixing AoS and Armageddon. We just started armageddon and after reading the updates, well, that's what I caught. I've played since 2nd (which was more work then game).
3rd was quick and easy with just a few weird rules.
4th streamlined the streamlined and 5th broadened the game to more,well fun.
6th, don't get me started, meat grinders were fun but the scenerios were so one sided it sucked.
7th fixed a lot of 6th and added the new scenarios as well a tactical objectives. Heck I won a game once with my farseer being the only model I had left but I collected way more objectives so victory. It made us start paying attention to them more then kill kill. Also added some much need diversity and had to think real hard on what could help you win over model count.

8th well until it drops, just shows me that all the codeices and objective cards we spent money on will be obselete, sure free rules,nice but if AoS is the template then they won't all be free for long. New factions=new rules which they will cash out on. My 2 cents.

With all the armies I own, I hope 8th keeps me interested. I've got my fingers crossed.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• Ancient
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
Uhhh, well, I feel like they are mixing AoS and Armageddon. We just started armageddon and after reading the updates, well, that's what I caught. I've played since 2nd (which was more work then game).
3rd was quick and easy with just a few weird rules.
4th streamlined the streamlined and 5th broadened the game to more,well fun.
6th, don't get me started, meat grinders were fun but the scenerios were so one sided it sucked.
7th fixed a lot of 6th and added the new scenarios as well a tactical objectives. Heck I won a game once with my farseer being the only model I had left but I collected way more objectives so victory. It made us start paying attention to them more then kill kill. Also added some much need diversity and had to think real hard on what could help you win over model count.

8th well until it drops, just shows me that all the codeices and objective cards we spent money on will be obselete, sure free rules,nice but if AoS is the template then they won't all be free for long. New factions=new rules which they will cash out on. My 2 cents.

With all the armies I own, I hope 8th keeps me interested. I've got my fingers crossed.

I don't see how the maelstrom cards will be obsolete. Nothing on the cards are that relevant to what's been changed. Also, they are like $10 for a pack, not a big deal.

GW said the codex's are, but are offering vouchers for any rulebooks and codex's bought in the last 8 weeks.

Shadow wars Armageddon is 2nd edition rules. It's literally the exact same rules that Necromunda had.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
I know but I've owned all of mine longer then that, they came out, I bought.

Unfortunately I never got to play Necrumunda.I've played one game of Armageddon with my wyches, got slaughtered, but I can't wait to play again with them.

I hope your right about the cards. I find them very useful as opposed to the book taking up so much space on or around the table.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »
I would very much prefer *not* to have to play the game with a deck of cards, thanks. My *least* favorite part of 7th.

I hope the missions get more interesting *without* resorting to random objectives.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
I'm kind of mixed over everything can hurt anything on a D6 system... Haven't seen any details on exactly how this is going to work yet.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
I do agree with the no cards, I prefer a table with only terrain, dice and armies on it.

I don't think they'll mess with the d6, it's kinda trademark for GW.