News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Guardian Defenders  (Read 2251 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Guardian Defenders
« on: October 19, 2018, 05:17:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired some defenders, having never used guardians at all before.  I just wondered, how do you use yours (if indeed you use them), please?

Thanks, Reborn. :)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Guardian Defenders
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 07:29:23 AM »
The temptation has often been to hold back and use them defensively, partly because of the name and partly because of their relative fragility.  I am usually inclined to say that it is better to avoid this tactic though, as opponents with longer ranged weapons which fire more shots will just eliminate them.

A more effective way to use them is as mobile fire support for Aspect Warrior units.  Their fire power is actually pretty handy and they are not as costly as Dire Avengers, which are the most obvious competition for the role that Guardian Defenders perform.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
They are a fantastic unit backed up with the webway strike strategem. A unit of 20 dropped in 12" away from an enemy unit, backed up by guide and/or doom, will evaporate almost any unit in the game. Once they are on the table, they are great at creating board control, as your opponent has to deal with them, or they'll toast another unit. They are cheap enough, that you don't really care if they die afterwards.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
Irisado, Killersquid, thanks guys. :)
I hadn"t expected such attacking suggestions. It's great though because that's how I like to play.
Cheers guys.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
Always take a shuriken platform. Two if you run 20. If you webway drop or ride in a Serpent it's always useful to let the platform take the wounds first. Specially in cover, it can usually tank quite a few wounds against Bolter equivalent weapons.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 08:11:43 AM »
I agree with the others that Guardian Defenders are best used for shorter ranged shooting. If you can get close enough for them to use their shuriken catapults, they have great damage output. If you can shoot at a Doomed target, you get a lot of chances to roll a 6 to wound, which is excellent. They're not as tough as our other options and lack the unique wargear and rulea of Aspect Warriors, but the amount of good strength shots with potential AP is great.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:08:18 AM »
To add to what is already said - which is all spot on - there's one more nice little trick that you can pull with Defenders: combine psy power "Protect" with stratagem "Celestial Shield".

Once you drop your 20-strong unit of Defenders (ideally with a couple of platforms) from the Webway into the enemy position, you can cast Protect on them. Next turn, when your opponent decides to focus them, you declare Celestial Shield - and all of a sudden your Defenders are protected with 3++ Invulnerable save (while platforms also have 2+ armour). That can be outstandingly strong.

I agree with most previous comments in that Guardians can (and imho should) be used as "heavy-hitters", in which case they are better fielded in 20-strong units - and in that case they are better deployed via Webway. Under the current rules, they'll only arrive on turn 2, which makes them a sort of "2nd wave attack" unit. Note that due to their short range they would almost never be able to attack anything on turn 1 anyway, so Webway deployment really has no downsides.

I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »
I agree on what has been said earlier and maybe here's something more to consider:

Drop a unit of 20 defenders + 2 shuriken platforms, boost an Autarch to nearby and use the black guardians stratagem. This should render ~45 hits, and kill most units with 10 wounds or less. Casting doom on the target could also almost double the damage.
The celestial shield is not bad either but it usually results in the opponent picking other targets in my experience, so make sure they have few options to do that.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »
/../use the black guardians stratagem.

Doesn't that require your whole army to be Ulthwe, though?
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
It only requires the detachment your guardians are in to be Ulthwe. Not the entire army.

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:18 PM »
You can mix craftworlds in the same detachment, but you wouldn't get the craftworld trait. you would however get access to the strat.

A use a blob of Ulthwe guardians in my Ynnari detachment just to use that strat (and soulburst if possible)
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:59 PM »
GD's be used in both defense and attack, given the changes to the fly rule, they make a solid option as a screening unit for your reaper squad. Stop those nasty flying assault troops from getting to them :)