News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mind Killer (2k Theory List)  (Read 645 times)

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
Mind Killer (2k Theory List)
« on: July 21, 2017, 02:15:44 AM »
Eldar provide many units that, in some way, can affect enemy leadership. Over the past few days I have spent some time looking through them and I decided to try and build a list entirely around the concept of leadership shenanigans. This is purely a though experiment, as I do not own even half of these models, but I wanted to put it out there none the less. In fact, it is more useful to post it and see what you guys think considering I can't test it myself at this time.

Battalion Detachment

HQ
      Shadowseer: Hallucinogen Grenade Launcher, Shuriken Pistol, Miststave
      Shadowseer: Hallucinogen Grenade Launcher, Shuriken Pistol, Miststave

TROOPS
      Kabalite Warriors (5): 3x Splinter Rifles, 1x Blaster, Sybarite, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol, Power Sword
      Kabalite Warriors (5): 3x Splinter Rifles, 1x Blaster, Sybarite, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol
      Kabalite Warriors (5): 3x Splinter Rifles, 1x Blaster, Sybarite, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS
       Venom: Twin-Linked Splinter Rifle, Splinter Cannon

Vanguard Detachment

HQ
       The Visarch

ELITES
       Shadow Specters (5): 5x Prism Rifles, Exarch
       Shadow Specters (5): 5x Prism Rifles, Exarch
       Hekatrix Bloodbrides (9): 7x Hekatrii Blade/Shruiken Pistol, 1x Hydra Gauntlets, Syren, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Blast Pistol, Power Sword

DEDICATED TRANSPORT
        Raider: Dark Lance, Shock Prow

Air Wing Detachment

FLYERS
       Hemlock Wraithfighter: 2x Heavy D-Scythes, Embolden/Horrify

Total: 1997

This list provides with 5 different debuffs to leadership profiles. The easiest, and widest, of these is the mindshock pods on the Hemlocks. The pods provide a 12" bubble of -1 to leadership so when this is combined with the hemlock's speed, I can get that debuff where ever I need it. The Shadow Specters also provide a debuff bubble, but theirs is a smaller one. That being said, the specters debuff has the possibility of being far far more devastating. The specters are fast for infantry, but not hemlock fast, so they may not get the debuff where it is needed immediately. Next Phantasm Grenade Launchers, of which I have 4 in this list, which subtract from the leadership of a unit hit by them. The launcher itself has good range and it will be in a fast, open-top, transport which should ensure it gets exactly where it is needed. Next, my Hemlocks all take embolden/horrify. Obviously this list will be focusing on using horrify. Only one hemlock can use the ability, the other two will simply smite. I have 3 of the same power in case one goes down, or is out of range of the unit it needs to hit. Lastly, the Visarch's sword provide a negative to leadership of any unit he deals an unsaved wound to.

None of the debuffs listed above stack with each other, and two can only affect a single unit per turn. Due to this it is likely that, in a given turn, there will be multiple enemy units with a -2 to leadership, and either 1 unit suffering a -4 or 2 suffering a -3 (in addition to multiple units debuffed by the specters as well). This may not seem like much, but leadership fails simply remove models with no chance of saving them (and regardless of their wounds), so an extra 2-4 (and up to 8-10) removed models can be very nice. In addition we have the effects of the Shadowseer Hallucinogen Grenade Launcher. This weapon can easily deal additional mortal wounds to a unit who has a weakened leadership. Normally I would say smite is a much better use of a Hemlock's time than horrify, but if you compound Horrify with the 2 Hallucinogen Grenade Launchers (and a later moral test), horrify now has a greater potential for damage than smite.

Pros of this list:
-Despite going for a particular shenanigan, most of the units in this list are very effective at their jobs in normal circumstances/lists.
-This list also has an effective mix of AT (D-scythes and blasters) and AI (splinter weapons and prism rifles (diffuse mode is awesome))
-This is probably something most people are not expecting you to exploit to this degree.
-8 command points is nice

Cons of this list:
-This list is effectively neutered by vehicle-heavy lists or lists with large individual models rather than units
-Lists that go really really heavy on the spam will probably shrug off the additional losses from moral with little consequence
-There may be (I do not know much about non-eldar armies) many armies that can effectively ignore moral concerns
-This list gets far less benefit from Ynnari's special ability since units wiped out in moral do not trigger it (as such my detachments are simply Aeldari).
-11 Drops means this list is likely to go second

From what I have seen of the current tournament meta, this list would never fair well in that scene (those top two cons are pretty much all there is in the recent tournaments). That is fine though, as I have no intentions of doing a tournament ever again. I think this will be a lot of fun to play, even if it is not competitive. I think it is very Eldar to use psychic illusion and hallucinogenic drugs to scare the silly mon-keigh into fleeing the battle.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:10:30 AM by Tweedz »