News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking for gifts for Eldar player  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Yesnaby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Looking for gifts for Eldar player
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:10:26 PM »
Sorry for stomping in here without being a player. I'm participating in a gifts exchange, and my giftee is massively into 40k, especially into building a Craftsworld army, collecting models and especially painting them.

I've looked at a few shops in the UK, and from what I see they all sell painted models. On Ebay I find what looks like poorly cast metal models that look nothing like the ones used for painting manuals I've seen.

Of course I asked my giftee for more info, but he has so far not answered. I guess I need some help from the professionals.

Help?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Looking for gifts for Eldar player
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
What's the cost range you're looking at here? Also, should it be one thing or are a group of things acceptable as well?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Yesnaby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:23:40 PM »
What's the cost range you're looking at here? Also, should it be one thing or are a group of things acceptable as well?

Thanks for your reply.

I've not quite decided on a price yet, considering I've not found anything yet and thus don't know prices. It's meant to be a small gift, about £20-30 max. I have some backup ideas, but those would not get me to the max. I would not mind to chose one model, and a few additional things next to it, or several models. Really, it depends on the price and on what I can get.

ps: ugh, posting isn't easy for a non-player, but I guess I'll know all verification answers soon  :P

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
G'day Yesnaby!
Puting myself in your mate's shoes for a second, it would mean a lot if a friend bought me a voucher from Games Workshop. This way I could buy what I want when I want. There's no hit and miss then.

Paints would be a good gift, but the range being as diverse as they are a voucher would be the safer bet. Hope this helps, mate.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
A voucher is a bit dull though. I understand it's a no miss but, you know, rather impersonal.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »
Find out what store they buy their stuff from, being in the UK they have access to discount stores like Wayland and grab the voucher from that store. Slightly more personal and better value for money :)

It is too difficult to buy for someone elses army if you not familar with what they already have. If they are new to the hobby, then a couple of the Pheonix Lords would be a good bet though. While they may not get to the table top very often, they are great to have in your collection :)

Offline Yesnaby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
A voucher is a bit dull though. I understand it's a no miss but, you know, rather impersonal.

Yes, that's what I'm feeling as well.

Post Merge: July 17, 2017, 05:00:37 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Find out what store they buy their stuff from, being in the UK they have access to discount stores like Wayland and grab the voucher from that store. Slightly more personal and better value for money :)

It is too difficult to buy for someone elses army if you not familar with what they already have. If they are new to the hobby, then a couple of the Pheonix Lords would be a good bet though. While they may not get to the table top very often, they are great to have in your collection :)

Well, this person has not replied to my messages yet. If he had I'd not be asking here unfortunately. Are there any cannon fodder pieces that are always useful? Or something really unusual that also looks cool?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:00:37 AM by Yesnaby »

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:49 AM »
Craftworlds Wave Serpent | Games Workshop Webstore

I'd go for a waverserpent as a reasonably safe bet at your price range.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
Craftworlds Wave Serpent | Games Workshop Webstore

I'd go for a waverserpent as a reasonably safe bet at your price range.

I agree with Gaz on the Wave Serpent.

And, since you asked about cannon fodder pieces, here's one more item to consider:

Guardian Squad | Games Workshop Webstore

These guys are reasonably good in the game now, and being basic troops, are always needed and can be fielded in large numbers.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Adrastos

• Infinity Circuit
  • Echoes in the void...Death your guide.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »
20-30 dollar range I agree: Guardians or a Wave Serpent are a good choice.

You could also do a farseer skyrunner model. They're cool and decent this edition
I do not need to kill you Mon-Keigh, you will kill yourself.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
20-30 dollar range I agree: Guardians or a Wave Serpent are a good choice.

You could also do a farseer skyrunner model. They're cool and decent this edition

I'd be careful with that in case the person already has one; you definitely don't need two. Wave Serpent on the other hand is almost always useful, even if you already have one; lots of armies run 2 or even 3 or more Wave Serpents.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
I would actually go for something like terrain as a gift.

Terrain is one of the most useful parts of the hobby, Every game needs it, and it's the last thing you ever think about purchasing!

The Games workshop terrain is expensive, but other companies do 28mm kits that are every bit as good.

Buildings - Wargame-Model-Mods shop

Something like this would be a great gift.

Dual Silos

Or this.

Generator Array

It still gives the option for building and modelling, but it also gives them something that they might not normally see since it is not a GW product.

Offline Yesnaby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
Thanks guys, gives me something to think about. One question though: those models look painted to me. What's the deal with that? Is that just how they are supposed to look, and they are 'blank' or are there separate models that are unpainted?

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
Games Workshop doesn't supply models assembled or painted.

The assembly, and painting are a part of the hobby and it can take many hours to finish a model. The person you are buying for will already be aware of this if they have an army, And would not expect you to go searching for completed models.

Offline Yesnaby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
Games Workshop doesn't supply models assembled or painted.

The assembly, and painting are a part of the hobby and it can take many hours to finish a model. The person you are buying for will already be aware of this if they have an army, And would not expect you to go searching for completed models.

Yes, the person mentioned he loves painting these models. Considering all the models appear painted on product websites I was confused about this. I can see that this is a hobby to get stuck in - probably not for me, but yes, I see the appeal :)

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »
The boxes and advertisements always show painted models.

It's because the company provide a number of pre made factions. Those factions have colour schemes. You are not forced or even expected to be using those schemes on your own models. They do provide painting guides for those schemes as a way of helping gamers on the back of each box.

It also shows the models off in the best way. A flat grey surface is hard to photograph, you don't see the details on the models. By painting them they show off as many of the details as possible.

It's not something you should worry about.