News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aurics Pride's Projects- Corsairs, Raven Guard, Daemons and now Dark Eldar!  (Read 74358 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Prince Finniatann's Warband (Also known as another Corsair thread...)
« Reply #340 on: November 4, 2017, 02:24:19 AM »
that's an great colour scheme, the blue work really well.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #341 on: November 4, 2017, 03:46:56 AM »
Those robes are a lovely colour. Really rich and deep. What was the base colour for that please AP?

The work on these looks great so far. I think that both Yvraine and the Farseer look fantastic. Really good attention to detail and a very nice, balanced colour palette. I'm loving the look of these guys. Nice stuff!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #342 on: November 4, 2017, 05:54:19 AM »
Wow, thanks guys!

@Dread- I'm not sure anyone has used the word Exquisite in reference to my work before, thankyou!

@Dog_of_War- Cheers bud, if I am honest the white robes I am really not happy with but sadly there isn't much else I can do with them now. The blue robes were a bit of a test which came out a lot better than I had expected.

@Cav- Thanks bud! Agreed on the seer, I really like the pose of the model and tbh it was fairly easy to paint! I'm undecided on Yvraine's sword at the moment. I did the Yncarne's sword Green and the Visarch's in Red so was thinking something different. I may possibly try a Purple (Like the Emp's children Armour) any ideas?

@Saim-Dann- Cheers bud, the tattoo was a lot tougher than I had expected! Took a couple of attempts and may still need a little bit of tidying up before I am happy with it though. Yeah the lens is mostly designed for sports stuff but seems to work really well with this stuff! Although for the price of 16 Forge World Spartan Tanks it should be!

@Magenb- Thanks bud, they fit in pretty well with my Corsair army....... What's left of it anyway.

@Loosh- Cheers Loosh! So for the blue robes it was all from the Vallejo Model Air range. I basecoated with steel blue and then did zenithal highlights adding just small amounts of white each time. For these I didn't really pay a huge amount of attention to the mixing (usually I have a formula when it comes to vehicles etc). I think mixed up the same colours to do the edge highlighting and that was a colour not too dissimilar to the Citadel Lothern blue. Sorry I can't be more precise, I should have some more bits arriving in a few weeks so if you remind me I will do a tutorial on it.

So I still have a lot of work left in my painting pile and unfortunately not much in the way of time! I am continuing with the Eldar stuff as painting up these two models has been really rewarding (Eldar models are just more fun to paint!) Expect to see a few more updates over the next few weeks as I try and play catch up before the really fun stuff arrives!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #343 on: November 4, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
Hey bud yeah purple could totally work. Only thing is might blend in a bit with the blue and not standout. You could give her the bone sword with a hint of green like on the box art, but if you want all energy type blades I'd go with a purple... sort of dark purple but with areas of Genestealer Purple to make it pop... OR! -just had a brain wave- an old school Warlock Purple/Pink Horror type energy blade... going black to pink. A sort of black/rose combination which would look SICK. Thats what I've been wanting to do on all the Yvraine models I've done on commission... but just didn't think the clients would go for it. So yeah...pink or purple if you want energy but bone with the poisoned green tinge if you wanted to go straight fluff.

Also yeah great work on getting that eye tattoo. You really did a great job on that my man. You've got stones for even attempting that never mind executing it. I wimped out on all 5 Y'vraines I painted! lol  ;D ;D ;D

Anyway keep up the great work my man, I always look forward to seeing my blue battle-brothers get reinforcements.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #344 on: November 4, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
I also really like the blue paint work on the Farseer.  It has a very regal feel to it and the whole colour scheme reminds me very much of a High Elf (Royal Eldar) aesthetic.  Great work.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #345 on: November 4, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »
@Cav- Cheers bud! I attempted the purple but I'm not entirely sold, may need to tweak it a little.

@Irisado- Thanks, that's actually the exact look I was going for! I always loved the old High Elf range and loved painting them. Thankfully I am a bit better now than I was back then!

Here is the sword on Yvraine and a picture from behind....

DSC_6064 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
DSC_6055 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #346 on: November 4, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
Those robes really do look tremendous when seen from behind.  The model is looking terrific generally.

When you said you were going to do the sword purple, I thought 'Yeah! Wow! That'll tie the red and blue together. That'll look great!'...but somehow, I think you're right...it's just not quite right at the moment. I think it's because the blue has a slight green tone to it...it's closer to teal than navy in the pictures. As such, the purple isn't really in-between the blue and red on the colour wheel. I think it could work...but I'm just not sold at the moment (Although that isn't to say that the execution isn't brilliant).

Have you thought about maybe going with he same cool-blue of the head dress? It reduces the number of colours on the model, it's different from the Visarch and Yncarne and it should tie in with another part of the model. Might be worth a shot...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #347 on: November 4, 2017, 10:09:58 PM »
Niiiiice!
Hats off, mate. You must be very proud.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #348 on: November 5, 2017, 05:50:16 AM »
I think it looks really great AP. But yes! I see the problem with the sword... but fear not because you didn't push it so far you can't tweak the look and thats all it needs IMO. I think if you give it some of those "gleams" like GW does on their witchblades (and which I tried to replicate) with Pink Horror or old Warlock Purple it'd look great.

I actually think I could have made the "gleams" a bit wider like I did on the Visarch's sword below

So if you gave the blade pink horror "gleams" in the same spots I did on Yvraine's sword, but made them "wider" or longer like I did on the Visarch's sword I think you'd be good to go!

I totally understand if you dont want to replicate my style though and want to do something unique. But you have that awesome super dark pink/purple base PERFECT, so if you did want to try my suggestion you'd be in a perfect place to do so.

Anyway just my 2 cents bud! Its look fantastic so far I'm sure you'll execute brilliantly whichever direction you go.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #349 on: November 5, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
*thunk* i, uh, well as David Lee Roth said, ""she's beautiful"!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #350 on: November 9, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »
...I need to get me one of those lenses. Those pictures are just pristine :)

Absolutely love the paintwork too. Can only echo the compliments of the richness of the blue and the freehand on Yvraine's tattoo.

I suppose I'm probably not qualified to comment on the purple sword thing given that I've always had a slight difficulty parsing blue and purple as a colour combination. For some reason I tend to have to fight the urge to feel it as a mismatch (although again, that's something peculiar to me so don't go changing anything just on that basis!).

If it was me painting her I'd probably keep the blade in black to tie it into her undersuit thing, and then do a sharp edge-highlight along the blade's edge and maybe the spine with a bright but rich red (Wazdakka or something similar). Then gloss-coat the whole lot ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #351 on: November 17, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
Thanks guys!

@Loosh- Thanks bud, I liked the purple but it just didn't seem to work so well! I did look at blue but I thought it might be a bit overwhelming.

@Saim-Dann- Cheers dude, I am thought it could definitely be better!

@Cav- I love that blue blade, looks so good! I may try that on something else fairly soon actually, may work well with my colour scheme actually.

@Dread- Haha thanks bud!

@Ynnead- Haha cheers bud! The lens is amazing, to be expected for £1780 though! Thanks for the comments though, considering I probably won't use this model all that much I put a bit of time into it.

So I did a bit more work on Yvraine's sword, carried on with the purple but took some of Cav's suggestions and although I'm not 100% sold on it I am much happier than I was. Certainly happy enough to finish off the model when I get chance.
DSC_7254 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr

I have also spent most of the last two days at home sick from work so not being able to venture too far from my bedroom I spent quite a lot of time on hobby stuff!
I have done a bit of work on a project which I shall share when it's completed (waiting for some paint to be delivered!) but inbetween work on that I have been painting up this guy!
DSC_7250 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
DSC_7249 by Richard Mcmanus, on Flickr
So it felt a little weird not painting Eldrad in Ulthwe colours but I've got to say I absolutely love this model so may well use it as my usual Farseer in the future!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:34 AM »
Sweet! He looks good in those colors. Your cloak painting is amazing. Perfect flow
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2017, 01:50:10 AM »
Oh, my!
The cloaks, gems, edging and colour choices are all just magic, mate. Really liking where your Eldar is heading... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:29 AM »
Oof! That's not far from the combined initial purchase price of my fleet of junker vehicles! Worth it though :)

Still loving the blues and golds on your eldar :) great colour combo with the white.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
WOW! Killer update AP. Damn Eldrad looks SO good... my first Eldar army was a blue Ulthwe themed army led by Eldrad... so this taking me down that 2nd edition nostalgia highway... Man that sculpt looks soooo good in the blue. It really shows off the robes so much more and you did a great job painting them.

Also Yvraine looks awesome... I think the blade looks really great. The only thing I might have done different is just use a Nuln GLOSS wash. After you paint the highlights over it, those isolated dark swaths look really cool... but I know some people avoid anything glossy like the plague so its just a personal taste thing. But damn I think it looks excellent. Also love the gold filigree on the back of her dress. Looks really awesome bringing a lot of interest to that area.

Damn man just killer update. The brush skills are at full blast with these minis brother. Keep on rocking this stuff is ace

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2017, 03:57:21 PM »
Cheers guys!

@Dread- Thanks bud, the cloak is nothing particularly great tbh. I do Zenithal Highlighting on the model using my airbrush which picks out some of the raised areas and then it's just a little bit of extra attention, a wash and then just a bit of edge highlighting and it's all done! I just wish that I could paint white and get a decent gradient without getting brush strokes all over it!

@Saim Dann- Cheers bro, glad you like the colour choices, it always feels a little bit blasphemous when painting up a model with such history in an alternate colour scheme. I had to have him match the rest of my force though.

@Ynnead- Definitely worth it! Photography is a pretty big hobby of mine (hopefully with a view to earning me some money in the future too!) so it was definitely worth it. Thanks for the kind words, I got a little bored of the colour scheme previously but after working on the airbrush highlighting it looks much better to my eyes. Much more depth.

@Cav- Thanks bud! Funnily enough I actually had a similar thought! I think I might use a Druchii violet wash and then a gloss Varnish over the top of the blade just to give it a bit more contrast and a bit of a sheen. Keep your eyes out for my next couple of updates, you'll definitely like them!  ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
That sword is looking way better AP. Really top results on your Yvraine.

Also, what kind of photography are you into? I've got a decent camera setup (That I never use for minis because iPhone=easy), but I'm more of a Carpet Bombing photographer. You know...take 1000 photos and maybe 1 hits the target...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #358 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:31 AM »
@Loosh- I do a variety to be honest. Mostly Pet and Music photography but also a spot of Wedding and Portraits.

@Everyone-
So I've been away for a while! My motivation has been severely lacking recently. I've been struggling to really get into the 8th edition ruleset and with work and other hobbies being so busy recently even the modelling and painting side has really suffered!
In my hiatus I have however managed a few little bits:

I started with a bit of Necromunda.....I loved the old rules and had to pick up the new edition, I absolutely love the new models and started off an Escher gang which my local gaming buddies have named "The Soviet Strippers"
20180126_095539

I have also continued working on the Raven Guard a bit and finished off my Characters, here is my version of Shrike (Captain Corone) and then another Captain (Two Swords- Based on Nykona Sharrowkyn) and a pair of Leiutenants.
20180126_095435
20180126_095405

I also have a large amount of stuff on the workbench! Currently:
20x Noise Marines
3x Converted Obliterators
A table worth of Sector Mechanicus Terrain
5 Tactical Marines
4 Assault Marines

and then I have a couple of very fun little toys on their way from Forgeworld to futher bulk out my Raven Guard forces!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #359 on: January 26, 2018, 07:30:09 AM »
Fan, blessed, tastic, AP!
Above all your painting, really like the power swords. Super fine detail there, mate. You must have eyes like a swooping hawk... Please be well!