News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer Total War  (Read 25434 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Warhammer Total War
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:40 PM »
Tomb Kings roster revealed:

Tomb Kings Roster Reveal - Total War

It covers pretty much everything. Some differences are:
- There are no Hierophant Lords, only Heroes. There is also no need to have a Hierophant in every army.
- Tomb Heralds are followers and not battlefield characters (partly this is because standards aren't really a thing in Total War).
- Tomb Swarms are an army ability and not a unit (there are no other swarm units in the game either.)
- the Casket of Souls can only be recruited through a rite (a special ability that requires certain objective to be met) and it can also move around on a spinning pile of bones (kinda like how the dwarven stationary rune forge thing is also mobile in Total War).
- There are ranged and melee ushabti, but the melee ushabti have been rolled into one instead of a double-sworded and great-weapon variant. The melee Ushabti have an animation where they occasionally combine their twin weapons into a great weapon to strike with. No idea whether this has any practical effect or if it's just aesthetic.
- Most notably, there are no Bone Giants/Necrolith Colossi. Their tactical role have largely been taken over by other units, including the Hierotitan, which is the giant staute firing laser beams from its eyes.

- There are also two new units:
-- Nehekharan Warriors are a double-sworded melee skeleton unit that serves as an intermediate between Skeleton Warriors with spears, and the Tomb Guard (who come in two variants).
-- Nehekharan Horsemen are upgraded versions of Skeletal Horsemen(sp?), and have swords instead of lances, iirc.

Not all of this info is in the site above, it's gleamed from dev logs and livestreams and the like.

Also, for the heck of it, the starting position of all the Legendary Lords in both maps:
- Settra starts in Khemri in both Vortex and Mortal Empires.
- Arkhan the Black starts in the Wizard-Caliph's Palace in Vortex and the Sorcerer's Isles in Mortal Empires.
- Khalida starts in the Lost Isle in Vortex (in Lustria), and in Lybaras in Mortal Empires.
- Khatep starts in Scarpel's Lair in Vortex (Naggaroth) and Plain of Spiders in Mortal Empires (Naggaroth)

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:35 AM »
Thanks for the information :).

That all sounds really promising in my opinion.  I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot of those units in action, especially the Ushabti, whose melée attacks looked spectacular in the trailer.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »
Bretonnia are getting a few tweaks during the general update. Also a new Skaven lord and other patches.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
The Tomb Kings look incredible from the Let's Plays that I have been watching.  They have really made them feel so alive and vibrant.  The feel of the Land of the Dead has been captured superbly.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 4, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
Next up are zombie pirates as honestly who doesn't want zombie pirates added to everything?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/04/total-war-warhammer-2-curse-of-the-vampire-coast-announced/
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 4, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
I've been eagerly anticipating the Vampire Counts release for Total Warhammer 2, so this is good news.  I'll be interested to see how they play.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: October 4, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
Well, I was personally beginning to buy into the Dogs of War hype train that's been running rampant at the upcoming DLC's first hint drops. That being said, I actually really stoked with what CA has done with the Vampire Coast's roster ;D! Nothing like I was expecting it to be at all. And the addition of island and Black Ark Fortress battles as an alternative to auto-resolve sea fights has me ecstatic! I cannot remember how many great armies of my High Elf Crusade to Naggaroth ended up at the bottom of the sea thanks to multiple Black Ark Fortresses and Lizardmen forces with nothing but Temple Guards and Horned Ones. Now the chance is being given to everyone to even the score, I love that.

I looked through the steam page and Vampire's Coasts campaign mechanics look very unique and fun to play. And there are some bizarre additions to the roster (but they look crazy fun!), but the Mourngul reveal was a really nice addition that made me smile :).

Cannot wait to see who the other 3 Characters leading this faction are.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 6, 2018, 05:07:03 AM »
The trailer was a bit of a mixed bag for me.  On the one hand, I really like the zombie pirates and the narrative of recovering the trinkets from the Lizardmen.  On the other, I found myself not really liking all the sea creatures and other cobbled together constructs.  They seem too ramshackle for a force that is effectively a splinter from the armies of the Vampire Counts, so don't sit well with me.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #48 on: October 6, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
I like most of the creatures we saw in the trailer, though I do agree with you about some units. The Deck Droppers, the zombie musketeers being carried by bats looked a little crazy even by warhammer's standards lol. I think the constructs could use some more defining features too, I like them overall, but they do kind of resemble the cobbled together pieces of a ship and less like an actual entity. I just about like everything else though.

To be fair, Irisado, the Vampire Coast is over and across the world from Sylvania. Scraping together resources from plundered ships and looted temples makes me think they would be more ramshackle than our professional vampire friends in the Old World.

Just a personal opinion though :).

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #49 on: October 6, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »
I recently picked this game up and have been having a lot of fun with it. I played a lot of the dark elves campaign in the vortex, and now i'm trying out some of the old campaign stuff. Playing non-elves, I miss those sweet darkshard shots but there's a lot of interesting options out there.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: October 7, 2018, 08:16:37 PM »
I recently picked this game up and have been having a lot of fun with it. I played a lot of the dark elves campaign in the vortex, and now i'm trying out some of the old campaign stuff. Playing non-elves, I miss those sweet darkshard shots but there's a lot of interesting options out there.

Glad you're liking the game, Blazinghand! High Elves are the faction that I've played the most. I've beaten the Vortex Campaign a handful of times, and because of its sheer size, beaten the Mortal Empires campaign just once.

I think Dark Elves are a great campaign because they have some unique mechanics, like the Black Arks and the Slave management mechanic. I like both factions, but I'll always be loyalist in the end lol.

What campaign are you playing at the moment? I'm just waiting until the Vampire Coast comes out before I hop back into it.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 8, 2018, 05:02:19 AM »
To be fair, Irisado, the Vampire Coast is over and across the world from Sylvania. Scraping together resources from plundered ships and looted temples makes me think they would be more ramshackle than our professional vampire friends in the Old World.

Absolutely, I just thing that they've gone a little bit over the top here and that some of the creatures, in particular, are more suited to Man O'War.  Nevertheless, they had to differentiate them from the Vampires of the Old World, so maybe it won't be quite so bizarre as the trailer suggests.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #52 on: October 8, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »

Glad you're liking the game, Blazinghand! High Elves are the faction that I've played the most. I've beaten the Vortex Campaign a handful of times, and because of its sheer size, beaten the Mortal Empires campaign just once.

I think Dark Elves are a great campaign because they have some unique mechanics, like the Black Arks and the Slave management mechanic. I like both factions, but I'll always be loyalist in the end lol.

What campaign are you playing at the moment? I'm just waiting until the Vampire Coast comes out before I hop back into it.

I gave Brettonian mortal empires campaign a try, but the peasant management mechanic wasn't fun. I started a new campaign as Settra the Imperishable and am having a fun time with that. Lots of expendable skeletons to throw at walls. I'm enjoying the chariot units a lot.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2018, 10:50:50 PM »
My main objection with the Vampire Coast DLC is that they have Saltspite as a LL, who's alive. Now, they explain it away with some lore and some possible Dreadfleet subplot, but I'm still not entirely cool with it.

More importantly, the Sartosan Free Company looks.. extremely uninspired. They should definitely be pirated up instead of just looking like Empire guys with axes. Hell, the ordinary Free Company guys look more piratey than these dudes. I appreciate the desire to make them fill a tactical niche, though, but they look very bland.

Beyond that... nice stuff.

Also - for those interested, Heinrich Kemmler is now getting his own faction and starting position in the Grey Mountains, at Blackstone Post, and a mount!

Aaand, the FLC Lord is going to be Lokhir Fellheart! He starts off just south of Teclis in Mortal Empires, in Chupayotl (a new settlement).

ALSO also, the Vampire Counts are getting BLOODLINES! They will work a bit like the Tomb Kings Dynasties, basically, with three potentially hireable Lords per bloodline, and faction-wide bonuses for each recruited lord.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:12:16 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 3, 2018, 07:15:28 AM »
I've not been as interested in the Vampire Coast as I had hoped, so I've stopped watching the playthroughs.  The other Vampire Counts news is more appealing to me, especially given that I am more interested in the Old World than the New World in terms of the lore.

Offline Blazinghand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm playing a Mortal Empires campaign as the Dwarves and got a random event in which you consider whether or not all these grudges are too expensive-maybe you should let some go? You've given two options:

1) No matter the cost, you keep your grudges - +leadership, but recruiting is more expensive for a few turns
2) No matter the cost, you keep your grudges - +leadership, but recruiting is more expensive for a few turns

So, hilariously, both options give the same effect and represent choosing to continue to bear grudges, no matter the cost.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
I keep starting mortal empires campaigns, but the way I play them takes a good length of time. Before I finish, there's always an update that forces me to start over :P. I was just beginning to turn the tide against the High Elves in the war for Naggaroth and make beachheads on Ulthuan (fiercely contested ones too) as Malekith before the Festag update came out.

I've only beaten Mortal Empires once with Tyrion, which is easy enough when you can diplomacy your way to controlling the world through allies. Evil factions I think have a much harder time, since they're usually at odds with everyone.

Online Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »
I played my first campaign as the Von Carsteins.  It's fun, but I have terrible trouble controlling the camera during battles and managing all my units is proving to be very difficult.  This has lost me quite a few battles, especially against Chaos, plus the fact that I made a very basic mistake of trying to confederate with the Vampire Counts, instead of just taking their territory.  A lesson learnt on that one and a new campaign has begun.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »
Hey Irisado, are you using the mouse to control the camera, by chance? Using A(left)+W(up)+S(down)+D(right) keys are what I usually use, then Q and E to spin the camera around, and middle mouse button scroll to zoom in when I want to do that. Hope that helps!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
Got a juicy bonus cheque this year for none of the bodies being found and since there's a Steam sale I'm dipping my feet in the undead pond that's II.
Drink
Knights Tippler