News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first  (Read 39758 times)

Offline Guardsman Bane

• Account No Longer In Use
Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:12 AM »
I was sitting in maths in 3rd Ed. era and my friend next to me was reading the rule book. I borrowed it for the night and was hooked:) First got a 2nd Ed. Starter Battle Set. Love the collecting, endure the painting due to my way sub-par artistic skills(Honestly, I screw up stick figures...Badly!) and can't get enough of the gaming, although admittedly it's been a long time between battles.
I have a real issue with the amount of censorship on this forum and am choosing to no longer participate. Please consider this account indefinitely inactive.

Happy gaming everyone:)

Guardsman Bane

Offline big mech

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Orks, Space Marines. Inquisition / Grey Knights
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
Well... it was in a galaxy / university long long ago and far far away,   1982 to be exact and I still have the old D8, d10 and d12, however my pre-herasy space marines sat mouldering int the loft until I found the time to develop my skill as an emissary of the Emperor..... 8)

Offline Tannis

• Armies: Eldar, mostly, plus Tau. Chaos and a few others.
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
I brought a copy of White Drawf to read in the back of the car / on the plane when my family went on holiday about 22 years ago.  It had a picture of a Ork Mechboy going nuts with a shoulder slung hand cranked autocannon / gattling gun i it.  Needless to say I went out and brought my first box of boyz a couple of days after we got back. Although the issue was actually all about Epic (or Space Marine / Adeptus Titanicus as it was called then) and that might be why that was the first scale I really seriously got into, (rather than 40K scale.)  A couple of months later they released the first battle wagon model for the 40K Ork's and I was well and truely hooked for life.
"Nuke them till they glow in the dark, then attack at night."

Offline sn toter

• I can haz Avatar?
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
I was looking through the bargin bin at an old bookstore right before 2nd edition came out and saw Rogue Trader and picked it up. Read it cover to cover and picked up a couple blisters of old Dire Avengers.

Good times!

Offline gordyhay

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #104 on: September 4, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »
I remember when i was 13 my big brother played and i got into it too.  Saved all my paper round cash and got commissar Yarrick as my first model, went on to get a vallhalan 4k army.  I am looking to get back into the game, now my went to my folks to look for my 'old' army only to be told that my mum binned it!!!

Any ways looking to start again, looking to create a hold the line Imperial Fists army, or getting very tempted with Tyranids

Any advice from anyone?

Thanks

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #105 on: September 8, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »
I feel bad for you gordy, I really do. I've heard a thousand stories of mothers binning old armies but they're usually a bunch of plastic catachans. I myself have stood to gain from people throwing away models they could have got good money for.
But this!
 This seriously pains me. I guess it's good for the collectors, due to scarcity and all, but I am now thinking about all the oop minis that will never again see the light of day because certain persons have no idea just how beslubber damn expensive this amphetamine parrot is. Countless hard-to-find guard variants melted down for tin, even new models being ditched because they are assumed to have the same valie as a similar weight of gi Joe's. Dammit I am so upset I think I will go have a root around in the local dump.

Maybe I'll find that old bad moon weirdboy or the original great harlequin I've always wanted.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2012, 12:04:48 PM by Dralith »
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline Hive Fleet Dave

• Shaaaating
  • Armies: Blood Angels, IG & Tyranids
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
My younger brother got the 2nd ed warhammer fantisy box set for his  birthdady and i got the 2nd edition 40k for mine even though we never asked for it! now i'm 31 and my mum has a go at me that i still play with "little toy men" ha!
"Friendly fire isn't"

Offline Dukofdoom

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
Well the first time I was ever Introduced to the game was 4, maybe 5 years ago or whenever it was that had the Space Marine vs Tyrranid starter kit, as that's what the store was demoing at the time. The first thing I Bought was Assault on Black Reach. However, when I couldn't find anyone to play with at the time, it went unused and got stuck into Storage. When I went back into storage, as I finally found a group to play with, they weren't there anymore, as they probably accidentally got sold. So now, I'm starting again with a Painboy (Which I thought was the Mad Dok HQ piece, but it wasn't. Though Painboys work too, I suppose) and the box with some Boyz and a Trukk.

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
First time i bought 40k stuff was un40k related ..me and a friend where looking for substatutes and new figures for Battletech .. one pf our other friends picked upa rule book for 40kthe for some reason and we started from there . Useing coins for his tyranid army (all sexond adition stuff )Is and i bordered on collecting IG/SM stuff .. we went in 5050the on a box set i think and thays where it all started.

Offline Fables

• Derse Dreamer; The Witch of Doom
    • My 40k Tumblr
  • Armies: Dark Eldar
« Reply #109 on: November 1, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
I got into it because I'm very easily led...

My friends had been slowly building a couple of armies between themselves, and my boyfriend joined and began painting himself up some Dark Angels. Seeing what he was doing, listening to how you play, and interested as interested could be, I figured I wanted in! (Reading a couple of issues of White Dwarf helped too!)

So when we were out about two weeks ago, we popped into Games Workshop and I ended up buying a Dark Eldar Battleforce. They are by far the coolest looking! :D I've since gotten myself a Codex, and will be buying myself the big lovely rulebook once payday rolls around!!
Growing up is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.
Follow me on Tumblr! Ffables.tumblr.com

Offline Jipster

• Armies: Guard.  What else is there?
« Reply #110 on: November 2, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
I am one of a large local group of historical wargamers.  Not really a 40K crowd.  Many of us have kids, but they haven't shown much interest in what we do.  Then one of us asked his son about 40K, and thats where it started.  Again, i'm not someone who would normally play 40K (not a knock on the system, I just already have 'enough' different systems that I game in), but if 40K affords me an outlet to bond with my 14 year old girl and give us some father/daughter time, then that's what i'm going to play. 

With all of half a dozen games under our belts, my IG and her Eldar are doing rather well against the other father/spawn combos in our group.

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #111 on: November 2, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
Back in 1985 I visited a girlfriend and meet a friend of hers who told me about WF especially the Bretonians.
I was very much into RPGs (Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye)at the time and liked some of the Citadel miniatures.
1986 during a convention I stumbled over Space Hulk and learned about 40k existing but as I played Battletech I was not really interested. However, I bought some Terminators to paint and display (quite some marines followed and I still have them, most of them).
Later Space crusade (StarQuest in Germany) came out, had a really cool TV spot and my girlfriend gave it to me as a present. Things developed from that....
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline jlmott

« Reply #112 on: November 5, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
I had played HeroQuest and Dark World as a child and loved the miniatures. Later in High School I bought the Fantasy Starter with The Bretonnians and Lizardmen. I put all the models together but never actually played. Several years later I played Dawn of War which led to an interest in the 40k universe.

About 3 years ago I moved and while unpacking found all my old Fantasy miniatures. Thinking it would be fun to paint them I went to search out a game shop to buy some paint. I got to talking while there and ended up leaving with Assault on Black Reach.

Offline mystartlord

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • Jocuri 3d
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
I say an army one of my friend had and he played a game versus himself, I kind of thought it was fun and if I could build an army I could play with him :)

Offline M.T.

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first?
Me first my dad and the website and I got a Catachan starter army box set
now you
My friend told  me about this game and I got a Tactical squad

Offline FirstBornSensei

• Walk softly and carry a big Multi-melta.
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Imperial Guard, Malal
« Reply #115 on: August 5, 2013, 05:23:41 PM »
My fiancée first introduced me. It took me a full year to become truly interested because the sheer scope of the lore was very intimidating,  and difficult to grasp at a glance. I really got into it after finishing the book "John Dies at the End", realizing the similar themes(chaos gods, and all that). I started reading as much as I could on Lexicanum and various other online sources.

My first book was "Dead Sky, Black Sun", and I've been chewing my way through Horus Heresy ever since. Thank God Emps for audio books!

My fiancée and I share all of our WH40k stuff, so it's kind of tough to say what "my" first thingy was; but I know my first successful paint job was on the cracked aquilla terrain bit that comes with Honored Imperium. Before that I had made a failed attempt at some Malal converted cultists.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2013, 07:24:29 PM by FirstBornSensei »
No enemy shall be beyond His wrath.

Offline Ironhide

• To survive war, you've got to become war.
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Chaos Marines
« Reply #116 on: January 2, 2014, 07:30:22 AM »
Back in the early 90's, my brother an I were bored and started using our model Knights in armour to play battles with, ie, we'd move the figures 4 inches across the table and when they were touching base to base, we'd roll a dice each, for each of our models and the highest roll won.

We were also making model planes and ships as well at the time.

Then our other brother came home with a Wood Elf (painted) and some Dwarves that a friend at school had lent him and we loved the look of the models, so that's how we got started.

My brother (the one who had brought home the Wood Elf) got WH40K (the second edition? It had the Blood Angels Captain with Powerfist on the front and had 2 Space Marine Tactical squads and 20 Ork Boys, 20 Gretchin and a cardboard Ork Dreadnough-now a Deff Dread and card scenery in the box). I started on a small High Elf army and our youngest brother started on some Night Goblins (cos he found their crazyness entertaining).

After school we stopped gaming and collecting and reading White Dwarf for a while until 2 years ago, when I went into our local GW to see how things were compared to "our day" as it were and things had changed gaming wise a fair bit, but some things were the same (basically move, shoot, close combat was still in the same order), had a quick game in store, spoke with my brother about it. We both then looked online at the GW models and fell in love with them, then Mum got us both the Black Reach game, he got the Orks, I got the Marines and the rest is history.
Kill For Gain Or Shoot To Maim, We Don't Need A Reason. Iron Maiden "2 Minutes To Midnight"

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #117 on: January 2, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
My brother (the one who had brought home the Wood Elf) got WH40K (the second edition? It had the Blood Angels Captain with Powerfist on the front and had 2 Space Marine Tactical squads and 20 Ork Boys, 20 Gretchin and a cardboard Ork Dreadnough-now a Deff Dread and card scenery in the box). I started on a small High Elf army and our youngest brother started on some Night Goblins (cos he found their crazyness entertaining).

After school we stopped gaming and collecting and reading White Dwarf for a while until 2 years ago, when I went into our local GW to see how things were compared to "our day" as it were and things had changed gaming wise a fair bit, but some things were the same (basically move, shoot, close combat was still in the same order), had a quick game in store, spoke with my brother about it. We both then looked online at the GW models and fell in love with them, then Mum got us both the Black Reach game, he got the Orks, I got the Marines and the rest is history.

Yup, that's 2nd Edition. I started with that one, too. I played orks (a biker list) and had tons of fun until college got in the way and I drifted away from the hobby. I basically missed 3rd edition, then wandered into a battle bunker during 4th edition, got back into it, and dragged a bunch of my friends along. Been having a blast ever since.

Offline Ironhide

• To survive war, you've got to become war.
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Chaos Marines
« Reply #118 on: January 3, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
If I remember rightly the 2nd edition of WH40K had the rule that a model armed with a sword could parry an enemy's attack in Close Combat, which is something that has now been dropped. Also infantry could only move average of 4 inches per turn, whereas now they can move 6 inches. Also Terminators rolled a 3+ save on 2 d6 per model in the old system, whereas its now 2+ on a single d6 to speed things up a bit.
Kill For Gain Or Shoot To Maim, We Don't Need A Reason. Iron Maiden "2 Minutes To Midnight"

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #119 on: January 3, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »
2nd Edition was ridiculously complicated and downright silly in places, though it was a lot of fun. A game took ages to play and the armies were smaller then than they are now.

6th Edition is more complicated than 5th, but I feel it is more complicated in just the right ways. It's fun, flexible, and better balanced in a lot of ways. It's got its problems, of course, but gone are the days where half your army would die because somebody would draw the 'Virus Attack' strategy card.