News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tanks getting cover  (Read 977 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Tanks getting cover
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
I played a friend of mine recently and all of his pieces of terrain are built onto square bases with varying levels of ruined buildings on them. In this scenario my predator had direct line of sight to his and it was inside the square piece with nothing in front of it. The ruined building section was beside it, he claimed that because it was on the base it got cover.

Is that correct, I had thought that the building would have to be covering part of the model at least. I did not want to argue even though I thought this was wrong and he got a 4+ cover save for all my shots with saved him for a large part of the game. Just wanted to see if this is the correct interpretation of the rules.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Tanks getting cover
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »
I have played it both ways. Each piece of terrain needs to be discussed prior to starting the game to determine what cover save it will provide and what part of the terrain provides the cover i.e. does just being on the terrain base count? Does a model need to be in the ruin or just beside it? Most gaming groups will have these ironed out and are treated as house rules. If you're playing someone for the first time, I highly recommend you take the time to discuss this prior to starting your game.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
Terrain should be discussed before the game, but vehicles don't benefit from area terrain. Vehicles only get cover saves if the model is at least 25% obscured. (I think it's 25).

Also, units don't get the 4+ for ruins, unless they are in ruins. Otherwise it's just the 5+ for intervening terrain.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
Actually there are pictures in the rule book covering this one, fairly sure its using a blue rhino, which is showing that it needs to be obscured.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 03:16:48 AM »
Yup! Agree with Magenb, Brash. The rule book states the model has to be obscured by the terrain. How much determines the level of the save. House rules can apply though so talk to the bloke before the next game. If he digs in his heals, then demand a six plus save seeing as he's out in the open.