News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why orks?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
Why orks?
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
What made you decide to play orks? What keeps you interested?

Offline BaileyBankai, The epic ninja duck

• Orks, salemanders, cadians, i like green.
Re: Why orks?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
what started me was the assault on black reach. its such a good deal, so i bought one and sold marines to a m8 for £20. then i was all over the crazy wackyness. such as shokk attack gun, and ramshakle. i think thats what draws most people in seeing as its not the most competative army out there.

'i can pulp your flesh and snap your bones in less than a second and without so much as lifting a finger. what is the power of technology compared to that?' Vel'cona chief librarian of the salamanders.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
the nature of orks appealed to me. Simple barbaric, ton of cool conversion oppertunities for both vehicles and the boyz themselves.   Not to mention they have an unpredictable side.   I have been painting, converting and building my ork army for over 2 years now and have yet to field them in a battle. 

They are not very espensive to build a huge army with AOBR models which are easier to paint.  To top it off the new kans and dread models rock.  The orks have the best Forge World models out of any other 40k army as well.  I simply love the FW models and can't wait to save up a bit to get a Mega Dread, ork warboss on bike, the big trakk, and of course the squiggoth models.  They are the only army I really saw as totally worthy for apocalypse and with the FW support it only makes them that much better.

Offline orksforthewin

• Orks luv puppies, there low in fat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:44:09 PM »
Because i cant make a 3+ or  2+ armor save...ever. So i just decided to go with something that said hey we could careless about armor saves. Plus the conversion options are awesome and  now after years of sticking with the green tide we are getting all these awesome plastic kits full of extra bits. Its good to be the warboss!

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 06:03:20 PM »
Because Orks are the secret army, the one that can beat anything you throw at them. Their problem is that they have a massive learning curve; this is to keep new players off balance though. No other army claims that they never actually lose.

The Old Ones created the Eldar, realised they were weak and squishy, then they made the Orks. What other race can make things happen just because they think they can?

On a side note I like the Orks because they're the only force that I could see actually not killing a small child ("da small humie can't even pick up dat Grot's choppa! Leav'em, he'll get more killy next time we pass thru."), everybody else would do it do to orders/viciousness/greater good/they'll tell a dirty Eldar joke a hundred years from now/etc.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
Even though I believe this question to have been posed before, but nevertheless I'll bite.

I was an avid Eldar Player at the time in late 3rd/early 4th Edition and some of my regular opponents were getting very very annoyed with playing against me.  They didn't like playing against Alaitioc, because apparently the Ranger/Pathfinders are too hard to beat (no they really weren't).  But I had been rolling with their complaints reminding them kindly that I easily had the same right to call cheese on some of their indiscretions when I saw a small box out of the corner of my eye.

I felt compelled to investigate it, and saw that it was a Box of Boyz.  And then one of my mates said the words he's long regretted, that I'll never forget.  "Orks, they always loose.  Hell even you couldn't win with Orks."

A challenge, to which I have proven him, along with the rest of that now long since defunct LGS.  But my Orks started as a kind of dare.  You know that kind of dare that gets taken way way too far.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline JimmyHatfield

• Ork Boy
  • It looks like that guy fell on a can of red paint
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
What drew me to the orks was their huge codex.  Because they've been around so long they have as many options as the IG.  I also liked the models and the idea that funny things can happen that don't really affect the armies abilities.  For instance the Grot that dies when shooting a zap gun, or the SAG mishap.   I try and play them like an ork too, when my squad of lootas started running off the field, I fired some of my units with no target into them. (they couldn't rally anyways so my opponent was getting that KP)

Another factor was that I was able to get almost 4000 pts of Army for around 300 bucks, gotta love those AoBR models!

Offline zero88

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 06:55:45 PM »
Ive played almost every other army in the game over the past 6 or 7 years, and have gotten bored of every single one of them so i need something that never caeses to amuse me. Enter the orks. Also I have terrible rolling so naturally horde armies appeal to me. As soon as the new models and codex came out I wanted to start them, so when AoBR came out the time was here. About up to 2500pts now and still have lots of plans for them. Im loving play them, I rarely field the same list twice, one of the beauties of playing orks

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
I started orks because of the "I don't care" attitude the orks have about caualties. They are not a dying race, and there is no "sadness" after a battle for the dead, just a celebration that they won and can fight another day. Then the fact that they will fight against and with anything and any race, to one day be allied with chaos marines, and the next day be allied with the tau against them, then turn around and eat the tau...

The other races have story lines where they are losing their world, empire, survival, etc. except nids, and orks are the only race to eat nids. Orks enjoy war, do not seek peace, could care less if other orks die, (means more for them) and if they get kicked off a planet then they will just come back in a few years with more orks.

As far a modeling goes, anything is good enough, there is no need for parade ground perfection, as mentioned before orks don't care. This means that no two of anything looks alike, you can have a BW made from a land raider, and another made from a Leman Russ, and another actually using the BW kit and they are all perfectly acceptable.

Also there is no wrong way to paint an ork, yes there are a few recognizable patterns by clan, but if you have a truck load of moons and a big mob on foot of evil suns it is ok, only another ork general will notice and of course won't care as long as there are orks on the table. Of course there are the silly painters who give their orks clown outfits, but that is ok, as long as there are orks on the table.  if you painted CSM as clowns you would receive much derision and smack talk, with orks, well...  they are just orks.

Then there is army composition, of course there are a few elitists (such as my self who plays speed freaks) who like their army a certain style, then there are others who change their list and style almost weekly. Of course there is everything in between.

lastly orks are fun and funny, if a grot shoots and kills a SM character with its lousy shooter that is funny.  When a group of boys drive up in a truck and shoot a bunch of terminators who fail all their saves, that is funny, when a single nob kills a carnifex, that is funny, when the war boss drives up to your opponents prize unit and kills it, that is funny.  Of course when 30 shoota boys fire and cause no wounds that is funny, when 15 tank bustas can't even kill a rhino that is funny.  The whole army is just unpredictable and no unit can ever be cheesed out to be relied on as the game winner. One game they will rule the board, the next game get sent packing by a single guardsman with a pointy stick. There are a few units that can be tricked out, and can have a good chance to perform well, there is no guarantee, unlike certain SM units (like cheesinators) that are heavily relied on and if it gets killed they think the game is lost. If an ork unit is killed...  oh well, we have more of those.

So, there is no short answer, just a whole lot of fun with a whole lot of models that you can't paint wrong.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2010, 02:10:33 AM »
the next game get sent packing by a single guardsman with a pointy stick.

That Guardsman kills me so many times its not funny anymore.

Well maybe a little funny.

Anyway in my own personal 'oppsie-daisy' I realized that this was a two part question, to which I didn't notice the second part.

Orks can and will always be the perfect modeler/converter army of the 40k universe.  Not only is it fluff-related to loot for these buggers (which I wholeheartedly believe was a trend set by the early developers of the game to sell more of the early Tanks) it also allows for fantastic centerpieces of armies.
Orks can steal anything from a Land Speeder (great conversion into a Halo styled Warbuggy), to a Land Raider (the Defenders of Humanity can [obscenity deleted]).  They can even loot Eldar and Tau tech (the Lootas sprue has quite a few Tau bits mixed in the guns), and even take a Carnifex and beat it into submission and Cybork it into a beast of burden.

More than just that though, someone who is a real converter will see that with the Orks the work is never done.  There's always the need to build (or rebuild) a couple buggies, a new division of Big Guns, or a company of Loota Wagons.  And thats not even including how when you tire of the lame GW Battlewagon to build a new one or to exchange those wimpy 3 piece Koptas from AoBR for a fleet of Propa Ork Aircraft.

And that's not even counting all the things you could want/dream of building when you take Apoc into account.  Sure they have an (overly expensive and under gubbined) Stompa now, but what about building a true monster vision of the Ork Gods like a Gargant (remember Stompas are baby Gargants) or the Doomsday Device (still don't know why they'd classify that as Chaos when its clearly an Ork weapon).  Oh and add to that FightaBombas, Gunwagons, FlakkaDakka Trakks, Mega Dreads, Squiggoths of Steel (who needs the Squiggoth when you got Scrap Metal?), and all sorts of other rustbucket warmachines.

I am by no means an 'Expert' at Scratchbuilding or a conversion king.  But I do my best with my trusty (and ever decreasing) bits box and what once was a pile of 10 pounds of plasticard (haven't had to buy any in years).  Even after having just about all my Ork vehicles and bikes stolen only a few months ago I remain happy about the Orks, because I saw it as an opportunity to only make more, better quality work than I did before (although I admit that wasn't how I felt initially).  That is the true driving force behind an Ork enthusiast (or at least this one), that knowledge that even at Mork/Gork knows how many points you have that there's always another thing to build, a project which is never truly complete.

And so I close this post with a question leveled at you, penguinhunter243.  Why did you pose this question?  The only possible answer I can surmise given that you don't list Orks under your armies is that your thinking about it, if not consciously than subconsciously; if this is so than I ask of you, nay urge you to take the Green Plunge into Orkdom.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline penguinhunter243

• Oops..
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2010, 08:01:16 AM »
I'm giving serious consideration to making an ork army, but have no ideahow to make an effective build. The fluff is great, and they seem fun,i just don't know if my pockets are deep enough, and I wanted to see what dee others in...so far it seems similar to my interest :)

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #11 on: August 1, 2010, 10:39:01 AM »
If you're savvy you can easy get all the AOBR boyz you need for much less than buying other models; I got about 5 sets of AOBR Orks for around $200, not bad when 10 boyz could cost you $30. Learn to love and abuse your share of the bits box, toy monster truck tires, and plasticard and you should be able to make plenti of Ork vehicles!
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 1, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
True dat jawmonkey.

And penguinhunter243, I urge you to pick up the codex, even if its just at your LGS for a quick browse.  After reading a bit you'll know for sure if you want to do Orks.
As for their expense in dollars, yeah they can get pretty pricey when your starting, but that's why the AoBR set is a good deal, and there are a couple online retailers that not only sell it at a discount, but can give you double Orks so you don't even need to trade a SM player for his set.

Add to that the simplicity of Ork conversions and you'll be off.  The Basic Boys sprue (or AoBR Orks) can be converted into Lootas, Kommandos, Burnas, Stormboys (that's a complicated one now for you to match the new sculpts), Tankbustas, basically every varient can be made from simple conversions from the basic Boyz.

And you can even convert your own MegaNobz, I first did something like 2-3 years ago out of random GW bits, Plasticard, and Ork heads.  It isn't hard, well difficult to look great, but I have yet to have a single opponent complain about the Konversions (although a few on the board, but hey it only means I need to work on them a bit more).

As for not knowing an 'effective build', well that's where the Codex can help you out, along with the board.  That's why we're here penguinhunter243.

Peace
~OD