News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: valkyrie Loadouts  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
valkyrie Loadouts
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:19:18 PM »
So, I'm going to be adding two Valkyrie's to my Militarium Tempestus army. Its going to be 1000pts total, and the rest of the army is four Tempestus squads, three taurox's, commissar and a scion command squad. Not sure if I should use the Hellstrike Missiles, or the rocket pods. I can see the value of each.

The missiles would be great at dishing out a few more hull points (with ordinance), but only two shots per plane. The rocket pods could also be really good ground pounders, but cannot help with fliers.

I'm leaning towards the Hellstrike missles, just so I have another answer for flying monsterous creatures and fliers, which my infantry cannot hurt as easily.

I'm going to give them both heavy bolters anyway, as more guns are always great.

Anyone here have any experience with Valkyrie's to lend their opinion?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: valkyrie Loadouts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:30:42 AM »
Don't the Hellstikes force the other weapons to fire snapshots (including other Hellstrikes). That's always been thr deal breaker for me--one Hellstrike a turn isn't enough firepower to make them worth it.

Did they FAQ that? They really ought to, if not.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
I didn't even realize that about the Ordinance Missiles. They would be great otherwise at poking flyrants and the like. Well, looks like Rocket Pods it is!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
I didn't even realize that about the Ordinance Missiles. They would be great otherwise at poking flyrants and the like. Well, looks like Rocket Pods it is!

Yeah, I know--it's a real bummer. They really *has* to be FAQed somehow. Probably easiest to just make them Armorbane and move on.

Given the current game, Hvy Bolter Door Gunners aren't such a terrible idea. If you're kitting for anti-infantry, you may as well go all-out. Two Multiple Rocket Pods and 2 Heavy Bolters is a fairly nasty strafing run. The cost, of course, is always the problem. 

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
I'd give them the heavy bolters anyway. Can still hurt armour 11, and 10pts for 6 shots is not a bad deal.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
Valkyrie?  I think you misspelled "Vendetta."

Are you looking like you will need the larger transport capacity?  Because otherwise I think you would find the Vendettas more reliable.  I've never found Guard lacking in the Anti-Infantry department when it comes to their shooting phase.  If anything, at 1000pts they need a bit of a pick me up in the anti-vehicle. 

If you are looking at running Valkyries with Missile Pods and Heavy Bolters you get a major increase in the anti-infantry firepower, but you are also only 15pts shy of going with the Vendetta.

I dunno, to me the efficiency is still in the Vendetta's favour.  You just have to put too many points into the Valkyrie to make it worthwhile.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
I'm going to be playing Militarium Tempestus, so I cannot take Vendettas. That's the thing.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:39 AM »
Ah.  Well that bites.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...