News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Winter Painting Challenge [Month 1/3]  (Read 9954 times)

Offline 1-i

• theropist tested, parole board approved.
Re: Winter Painting Challenge [Month 1/3]
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
@Corvid thanks, I think brutal thralls shall now be my Dark Eldar Grotes

In painting/pic news I have the finished pic of vow 1, apperently lighting is an issue now.

live life now cause hell has no cable and heaven plays WAY TOO MUCH elevator music

Offline Final Justice

• Getting the drop on the noo since '97
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 05:50:28 AM »
Got my first Hawk done finally. Whilst pondering what to do with the bare metal I decided to ask the wife for her opinions. I then trotted out one of each of my aspects so she could get a feel for what the rest of the army looks like. She then came up with a colour scheme I wouldn't have thought of echoing real Hawk colours and picking out the paints she wanted from my collection. The only thing I added was the blue as I decided I wanted to reference Beldin's blue banded hawk from the Belgariad. The process was quite fun actually and I might have to repeat it in the future. She was quite pleased with the results I painted although she said the orange wasn't quite what she'd been after (more of a burnt orange she said)

So here's the base coated Hawk

Now with inks and washes added

And now the completed Hawk with highlights and further washes.

I feel as if I've got a pretty good idea of how the washes work now and I may abandon the old inks most of the time now. I've also realised that the earlier wash step is fairly unnecesary and I could probably do all the base coats and highlights and then wash.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Besides small details like words on scrolls, finishing up metal on the weapons and backpack, touch ups and basing, the three sanguinary guard squads, Dante and one priest are finished. I've begun work on the Sanguinor and the second priest. I may alter my vow, as I don't really want to build a fourth squad for a while, so unless I see one for a good deal, I'm going to stick with the three squads as that keeps me at 1500pts.

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Dante

Priest 1

Priest 2

Sanguinor

Whole thing
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Colhir

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »
5 Marines down 4 more to go. All base coated just need to get on with it! I do have pictures but I can't find my camera cable, that age old excuse.
i swear to drunk im not god!

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
Well although the vows got locked, i am now going to an escalation tourney, and since i swore i would NEVER bring unpainted models to a tournament.  I therefore, although it is technically a fail, i will paint 4 Chimeras for this month, and i will vow the rest next month (the tourney is Jan 28th)
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline CorvidMP

• I am an alpha geek.
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:53 AM »
Damnit killersquid, your making me regret not trying a to make an all sang guard army.

In other news- my vow is already a fail, I broke the scythe off the unmounted Darragh Wrathe model and have spent several nights trying to get it back into place with having to pin the tiny wrists. 
I'm no longer sure where the calluses end and the superglue begins on my fingers.
Soooooo....I'll be taking a break from him before trying to pin it because at this point if it goes like my other repair attempt's I'll wind up getting an excessive force complaint at my next traffic stop....

Pistol wraith is done though and looks awesome, plus I've started Black Ivan.  What's more I'm trying out priming with  gesso on him (btw gesso is hard to work with in dark patrol car lol).

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:47 AM »
I got the greatcoats painted along with the armor and weapons.   I went back and forth between colors to try to find a good accent color.  I went with red which makes them look more like traitor guard or blood pact.   I still got to work on their bases, gas masks lens(going for a gem effect here) and I am going to weather their great coats.   Hopefully it turns out well.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
You guys need to post more pictures.

Basically finished my challenge.

The Sanguinor

Dante

Squads

Priests

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline 1-i

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Vow #2 complete, Dreadnought is done
Also got most of Vow #4 (random vehicle bits) done.

live life now cause hell has no cable and heaven plays WAY TOO MUCH elevator music

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I have to say, Squid, that those Guard look awesome. But i actually prefered the Glaive Encarmines before the striations... I don't know, it just looks too busy now.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
Killersquid, what colors did you use on the sanguinary guard? I'd love to try replicating that look with a greenish tint for my nurgle chaos who aren't painted up to my contentment standards.

• Ancient
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »
I have to say, Squid, that those Guard look awesome. But i actually prefered the Glaive Encarmines before the striations... I don't know, it just looks too busy now.

Maybe it's the pictures, but I prefer the stripes more then the flat colour. Mostly, as I wanted the blades to stick out a bit better. I appreciate the feedback, however I don't think I'll go back to the solid blue though.

Killersquid, what colors did you use on the sanguinary guard? I'd love to try replicating that look with a greenish tint for my nurgle chaos who aren't painted up to my contentment standards.

Do you mean for the armour? It's a basecoat of fortress grey, two seperate washes of Gryphonne sepia, highlight with bleached bone, highlight with skull white and then one more wash of Gryphonne sepia. I went through three bottles of the wash while painting the army. The highlights of white don't need to be so neat, as the final wash blends it together and fixes any sort of 'mistakes'.

@ 1-i

I really like the Dreadnaught! I like the muted warn out colours.

@Final Justice, I missed your swooping hawk when you posted it. Looking good, I cannot wait to see more.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Maybe it's the pictures, but I prefer the stripes more then the flat colour. Mostly, as I wanted the blades to stick out a bit better. I appreciate the feedback, however I don't think I'll go back to the solid blue though.

It must be the pictures then, because the earlier ones don't look solid blue, and have more of a fluidic, sea water s look to them. I do agree in principal though, striated blades look alot better than matt blue.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

• Ancient
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:26 AM »
No, it's not full solid. A light blue wash on white. But, I wanted to try something a bit more challenging.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline TheGeneral

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 06:30:29 AM »
So, started the Deathcompany. The Black is finished

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »
Seeing a lot of great work this month.

I decided to paint these up to enter into the manufacturers Painting Contest.
They don't really match the rest of my guard army but I am hoping to try a renegade guard army with (hopefully) a new chaos renegades or chaos traitor type codex.

Up close and personal

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2011, 03:51:38 AM »
So far I have put one colour onto one Killa Kan.

Teh failz, I haz them. But there's still time!
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline 1-i

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 02:19:19 AM »
I completed the turrets that I had the parts for, turns out I was two plasmas shy of completing a second las/plas turret.
Still Ive completed my vow for this month. I feel good.

@Angle of death, love those eyes

@Killersquid, the modes great, the swords in final form     well I have two thoughts.  One is that under the close up inspection of the swords Im not nor have been a fan of all the little lines, My second tought is that from a total model display and table perspective that isnt singling out a particular model I love the effect.  Still no matter what I think on the swords I still belive you are a better painter than me.

Offline ΦMacGyvorkΦ

• Ork Boy
  • Don't botha me! I'm workin' on sumfin'!
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 02:45:23 AM »
Is it too late to participate?

I had ( previously ) vowed to my self to paint two Nurgle tanks + one Space wolf test model that I would be working on this month.

If I am able to participate I would love to post WIP and finished results as this would be a great idea to motivate me  ;D

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 05:13:02 AM »
You can participate whenever, it's just that you can't change an already pledged vow after the tenth.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog