News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Model Transportation?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Model Transportation?
« on: February 26, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »
Hey Guys,
Quick question for you all, what do you use to transport your various armies around?
I've mostly been using one of the new Games Workshop cases for my Infantry/Jetbikes etc and then just Cardboard boxes for vehicles etc but obviously this is far from ideal.
I'm looking to sort out some proper cases for my Raven Guard but looking at the KR Website it's going to set me back some serious cash to get it sorted, even just the foam insert for two drop pods is going to set me back approx £15 and I can only fit two of those in the smaller cases.
Have you guys got any ideas for decent cost effective protection? With me spending a bit more cash on some forgeworld stuff (Fireraptor) recently I want to protect it!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Model Transportation?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
Initially I thought my KR case was the ultimate... but the more I hauled my stuff around it was the old school Battle Foam that's been the most useful. With all my conversions most of my models wont even fit in the standard KR trays... and I've found the laser cut a little snug on my vehicles and its always catching on the shield vanes of my Wave Serpents or the tips of the wings on my flyer.

I like battlefoam because its cheap and I can customize it myself and not worry about the foam pulling off my various flags, weapons etc.

Also the way the KR case's are sort of like suitcases... means the models are sort of flopping around in there if you carry it like a suitcase... meanwhile the Battle Foam is always held in the same position.

Yeah so especially for my Dark Angels which lots of banners and stuff I'm definitley going Battle Foam... its cheaper and you can customize it... plus I think KR's laser cut is not roomy enough to take your models out with out little bits getting stuck on the foam
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
I found the KR multicases that I purchased a few years ago to be robust and managed to hold my Eldar models in place.  You can customise the foam trays that you want and, in my experience, even the cheapest case is surprisingly strong.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
My preferred method is ultra-cheap and, assuming you're travelling by car and not plane, perfectly acceptable.

1) Shoeboxes.
2) Wadded toilet paper/paper towels (for padding)
3) Stack shoeboxes in large shopping bag.

Boom. Transportable army, very short money. You can't swing it around or throw it over your shoulder or whatever, and packing/unpacking takes a little while, but it's perfectly effective for carrying an army to your car and then from your car to the LGS. I've even taken it on public transportation, but that was fairly uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:46:20 AM by Wyddr »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
Just a few posts down you will find the post How do you transport your army. Might be something useful in there.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:55:11 PM »
@Cav- How much did your battlefoam set you back if you don't mind me asking? The closest one I can find to fit what I want will set me back about £180 including the foam inside, although I want to protect my stuff that seems like a big chunk of change! It'll easily fit my Infantry and then the Fireraptor and Drop pods but I'd likely have to get another one for the Stormtalons and possibly tanks.

@Irisado- Do you use the Cardboard ones of have you invested in a bag/case? I have always had slight worries about the durability of the Cardboard boxes for them. I have heard the foam is very good though.

@Wyddr- That's pretty much how I am doing it at the moment, I have a decent supply of bubble wrap after going a bit crazy on ebay purchases last year and I've been wrapping everything up. Was just wanting something a bit safer/easier to carry.

@Alienscar- Awesome, I shall have a look!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
I use the cardboard ones, which have survived being carried in bags on foot between Warhammer World and where I used to live.  That's an even bumpier ride than going public transport, so I can certainly attest to their durability.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:14:06 PM »
@Wyddr- That's pretty much how I am doing it at the moment, I have a decent supply of bubble wrap after going a bit crazy on ebay purchases last year and I've been wrapping everything up. Was just wanting something a bit safer/easier to carry.

Ah, in that case I'd offer up large fishing tackle boxes. They also are pretty cheap and you can stuff them with padding in a manner similar to the shoeboxes, but they have locking lids and sometimes trays with small compartments. The only problem is you can only reasonably carry two of them at a time.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »
@Cav- How much did your battlefoam set you back if you don't mind me asking? The closest one I can find to fit what I want will set me back about £180 including the foam inside, although I want to protect my stuff that seems like a big chunk of change! It'll easily fit my Infantry and then the Fireraptor and Drop pods but I'd likely have to get another one for the Stormtalons and possibly tanks.

Dang you know what the bag was given to me a by a friend who had an extra. But actually my brother has the same bag and it was $80 with foam included... The trays only cost about $10 a pop which is really nice as I can simply buy new foam trays per unit in a big hefty bag. Then I have a KR Case with Wave Serpent foam and 2 infantry trays and that was like a $150 and holds FAR less then my Battle Foam and I can hardly use any of the trays due to my conversions.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
Yeah the custom foam solutions are great but soooo expensive. I have a couple of tool boxes which I then purchased some foam blocks.

One is a standard fold out toolbox, the top two shelves hold standard infantry - Dire Avengers, Fire dragons, scorpions etc. I just cut out cubes so they all stand upright. The bottom section can hold two layers, so it fits upto 4 eldar skimmers and two war walkers. These were a bit tricky to cut out as you needed to leave a good amount of foam on the bottom, if I was going to do it again, I'd by a think pice to just slot in between.

I have another plastic tool kit, the top has a bunch of retangular cups, so just some foam for lining around them and, they work well for jetbikes. I can also remove some of the cups and fit in a wraightlord on it's side. The top of this toolkit slides back and has a good depth, so it can fit Eldar flyers.

These do the job, but to be honest its a pain carrying multiple boxes around. The custom sets can be rather large but honestly I think it is better to carry one box. I have seen some people buy the custom foam and then drop it into standard plastic boxes you can get from the hardware store or $2 shop.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 09:08:18 PM »
I use the Sabol army transport trays and cases. I have a bit of pluck foam, and laser cut trays. The laser cut ones are just generic rectangular cuts. I like these as you can fit more infantry per tray than the pluck foam.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:16:18 PM by Partninja »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 05:06:44 AM »
I've used Feldherr cases before, with standard template inserts. I've found them to be excellent, with the added bonus that they don't really look like figures cases, so are handy for the shame filled gamer  ;) Although they are somewhat incongruous with the limited edition vortex grenade hard case I got from GW a few years ago!

I will be getting more cases/inserts at some stage. I will probably go for a mix of KR for more esoteric units like Jetbikes and vehicles, while using standard foam for the rank and file. Incidentally, I find the new GW 'zigzag' foam to be largely excellent for infantry figures.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:40:37 AM »
Aurics Pride: At the moment I'm using a Citadel case/postage box combo. Speak to your local gaming store owner. He'll have these big tray like cardboard boxes with lids that the models arrived in. The vehicles fit nice with bubble wrap.
                                       Have designed a gaming table that will have shortened mapping draws at one end, (Bookshelves at the other). The plan is to have the models in KR foam laid out in these draws. Whenever Transporting models, just lift the foam containing the models required and cart them in a box.

Wyddr: The fishing tackle cases you describe are what I use for transporting my modelling supplies to modelling/painting sessions. All the different model parts, heads/weapons etc, are in the little compartments and the tools are in the top tray. Have another one, without the little compartments, for the paints/brushes.