News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your favorite super heavy!  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Your favorite super heavy!
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
I got myself a baneblade and I think I can do better with one of the other variants. Like the hellhammer or stormsword.

Which super heavy do you guys like best? Which ones have you used or seen used really well?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Your favorite super heavy!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
My old Baneblade only ever saw one game but it did very well there, killing about 400pts worth of models by itself and surviving the game, albeit a bit beaten up. 

The Hellhammer and Stormsword are like Eradicators on Steroids.  Their main guns, although short ranged, will kill just about anything they hit regardless of cover. And although they are short ranged, they still shoot further than a Demolisher Cannon.  They're definitely weapons you can use to control the board and ward off Infiltrators and Scouts with.

In 'smaller' games I'd take a hammer or sword over a blade in order to control a chunk of a table.  Out of the two, I'd probably take a hammer.  The turret makes the gun more useful, even if its one not quite as good as the sword's.

Having said that, Baneblades are still great.  I'd use them as crowd control, because they pack two big blast templates and multiple heavy bolters.  Unless they're cover, it should wipe out a unit a turn.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:06:14 PM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
Cerastus acheron!!

I'm not a big fan of baneblade variants. They seem too points expensive to me. They're so large they get no cover and five melta shots should toast them. In a large game where you'll take them, there'll be something else to take them out and they give away VPs too easily due to the "through attrition victory rule". Compared with the Wraithknight that gets FNP and an invuln for about 60 % of the points cost and comes with two D weapons (ok either / or on the D weapons and invuln).

Unlike a SHW or GC, they can't fight back in cc and can't claim cover as effectively.

If they come down in points a bit I'd probably get one.

Though I'd choose the Hellhammer variant as my favourite. If you're gonna do it - over do it!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
I'd probably take a hammer.  The turret makes the gun more useful, even if its one not quite as good as the sword's.

I'd take a Hammer as well, but a Stormhammer...

It was always my favorite super heavy back in the days of Epic and it was the original "Hammer" class tank, Forge World sadly dropped one of the battles cannons from the rear turret (It had 2 twin battle cannons back in the day.) but for shear number of guns I don't think anything beats it.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
I'd probably take a hammer.  The turret makes the gun more useful, even if its one not quite as good as the sword's.

I'd take a Hammer as well, but a Stormhammer...

It was always my favorite super heavy back in the days of Epic and it was the original "Hammer" class tank, Forge World sadly dropped one of the battles cannons from the rear turret (It had 2 twin battle cannons back in the day.) but for shear number of guns I don't think anything beats it.

It's got guns on top of it's guns...I love it!  ;D

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:52 PM »
Shortest answer: Titans
Scratchbuilt: WH40K Warlord Titan | Make: DIY Projects, How-Tos, Electronics,
look in it's left hand.

Short answer - Warhound titan.  It's big, almost as killy in the fluff as on the tabletop, and it screams '40k.'  Plus, it's the least gundam/anime (humanoid) titan.  Leave mecha to the tau.

Chaos>Lucius>Mars pattern.  Chaos on top only for the crew models and armour detailing.

Long answer - Baneblade variants.  Fluffwise =Baneblade, gamewise=Hellhammer. Anything with a traversing turret fits here.
 If you won't bless me with a turret, Fluffwise = Shadowsword; game wise = Stormlord or Stormsword.

Dream detatchment= Baneblade, Shadowsword, Hellhammer, and Stormlord.  The latter two are my city fight detachment, the bane blade is a the command tank, and the Shadowsword is my rearguard.

I have two chassis, and all four tops for this one.  It's in the works :)
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...