News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Shooting myself in the foot? Trying to make a fun list with a WraithKnight  (Read 1463 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
So, I decided to put this under Eldar, even though the most points in this list are DE, as it's mostly focused on getting the WraithKnight to be fun/usable again. Most games I take him, he simply drops T1 and that is that....

So, I am trying to use the new-fangled Web Way Gate as a delivery option for him! (I know the gate looks like it sucks... but I wanna try it ok)

So, how does this list look in general? Not looking for super competitive, but also trying to not shoot myself in the foot with it.

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [862pts] ++

Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [125pts]: 1: Ambush of Blades, Banshee Mask, Craftworlds Warlord, Fusion Gun, Laser Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Farseer Skyrunner [140pts]: 1. Guide, 3. Fortune, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Spiritseer [65pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Psytronome of Iyanden, Shuriken Pistol

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [532pts]: Starcannon, Starcannon, Two Heavy Wraithcannons

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [59 PL, 1017pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment Attribute: Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue This is up for debate

+ HQ +

Archon [79pts]: Huskblade, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Splinter pistol

Archon [96pts]: Blaster, Huskblade, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors [56pts]
. 4x Kabalite Warrior
. Kabalite Warrior with special weapon: Blaster
. Sybarite: Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Splinter Rifle

. 4x Kabalite Warrior

. 4x Kabalite Warrior

. 4x Kabalite Warrior

. 4x Kabalite Warrior

+ Flyer +

Razorwing Jetfighter [155pts]: Splinter Cannon
. 2 Dark Lances: 2x Dark Lance

Razorwing Jetfighter [155pts]: Splinter Cannon
. 2 Dark Lances: 2x Dark Lance

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [84pts]: Disintegrator cannon, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shock Prow

++ Fortification Network (Aeldari - Harlequins) [120pts] ++

Webway Gate [120pts]

++ Total: [1999pts] ++

Basic idea is to DS the Spiritseer T2 to try and get in range of the WraithKnight and pop the Relic + Supreme Disdain while stomping for 24 exploding str 8 attacks.

Please note: As this is a friendly list for friendly games, I will be getting permission from my opponent beforehand for access to the two WWP strats that were built for this bloody thing...

So, with all that in mind, and with the imposed limitations, how do you think this might fare?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Personally, I think you should run at least two gates, for insurance. And since you're building this list for fun, you might as well take 2-3 Wraithknights and just go ham with them. If you're getting the Harlequin strategems without needing a Harlequins detachment, then you're golden.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Lol - I would agree on taking two gates. At the moment I only have one, and only one wraithknight too... but that would be a fun list!
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
As a side-note - I always find "friendly games" to be a fairly vague term :) Where I play most people tend to see all games outside of an actual tournament as "friendly" - which in practice means that none would object if you bring not fully painted stuff or proxy something, none would argue over the rules too much, you would be allowed to take a move back or to move that last unit which you only remembered about after you started casting your psy-powers, etc. However, this friendly attitude doesn't prevent most people from bringing pretty tough lists - which means that the games would still be disappointingly one-sided if you don't bring something equally tough.

So, IF in your meta a "friendly game" means a game with softer lists, this might work. I put emphasis on "softer lists" because the Wraithknight in my opinion is just SO inefficient, that even if you manage to keep him alive longer, it still won't earn its points back in most cases.

The idea itself is fine though. The gate itself looks tough enough to survive one shooting phase even if you go second; this enables your WK to start in Webway and step out into the field on turn 1. With the current Beta deep-strike rules you'll still have to deploy him in your deployment zone - but his guns have enough reach for this not to be too much of a problem. The most important thing though is that you will be able to Fortune him before he gets hit for the first time, which is really good.

As for your list in general, I don't see much use in the Autarch. Imho, it would be far more efficient to make your Drukhari detachment Black Heart and make one of the Archons a warlord with Labyrinthine Cunning trait, providing you with a far better CP refund. Then I'd replace the Autarch with a second Farseer with Doom and Executioner. After that I'd replace lances on Razorwings with desintegrators, because they generally have more utility and flexibility than lances - and Doom will make them devastating.

Hope this helps, good luck with your experiment ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Do you have any Harlequins? I would suggest a small detachment to unlock the stratagems they have available for the WWG. I believe the wording on them would still allow you to use them with any Aeldari models.

Yeah - Friendly games means still pretty tough lists but not tournament level intensity lol . It also means a bit more RAI then RAW where some rules are discussed before hand.

For example, I can not believe that GW intended the gate itself to not count as a Harlie detachment.

I do, however have harlies as well. I may run them insetead of the DE bat - not sure.

Dropping the Autuarch for another seer does make sense though. I know the Knight is a rather soft unit, and my biggest issue has always been if I can't get him to do something before he gets shot up he is toast. Enter the gate.

It may be interesting to see what Harlies could offer for those points...
Flawless logic.