News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does anyone here play Age Of Sigmar?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Does anyone here play Age Of Sigmar?
« on: March 21, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
A couple of months ago my friend and I brought the starter set (he's Stormcast, I'mm Khorne) with the intention of painting them up and playing it asap.  We haven't gotten around to either one yet, although that's due to change after Easter here. 

We've both been out of the loop for a while now.  I've still been following GW happenings but I haven't played a game of 40k since it's 5th edition, nor have I played a game of Fantasy since it's 6th edition.  Meanwhile, my friend was out of the loop for even longer. 

We both like the look of AoS because it seems like a good 'refresher' game; simple rules and small armies to help us get back into the swing of things, before moving back to 40k. 

Has anyone here played it yet?  What's your honest opinions? 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Does anyone here play Age Of Sigmar?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »
Haven't played it, but everybody I've talked to about it seems to like it. You've got to do a bit of legwork on your own to balance it out and you ought to play scenarios rather than just the standard mission, but otherwise I haven't heard too many complaints.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
I've seen more positive comments about it now that it has been out for a while.  There was a lot of negativity about it when it was first release, but I get the impression that the more simplified game play, relative to Fantasy, has proved attractive to some.  I'm still a bit dubious about the narrative aspect of the game though.

You might find Killersquid's AoS battle report of interest.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
I enjoy it a lot. My friends and I use the SDK points system to help balance units, but I've had a lot of success using wounds as a system of points as well.

I also find that it helps to restrict number of heroes, warmachines and monsters as well (as suits your fancy). Adepticon has their own comp pack, which I think is fantastic and I recommend playing by.

Also, I find that the missions in the Age of Sigmar campaign books are loads of fun, and much more enjoyable then just playing the standard 'fight until one side is dead' mission.

I have a tomb Kings army, and I am starting up a Khorne Bloodbound faction now too.

The game's rules are nicely streamlined and allow you to really get some good combo's with units if you play smart. Also, retreating from combat is a great rule and one which is really powerful to use, if you use it well.

I like the ranges in melee weapons too, really helps simulate spearmen being able to fight over the ranks of swordsmen in front of them.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »
This is all great news.  I saw that when it first arrived many people seemed very unhappy but I'm glad to see it's going down better.  I love the streamlined simplicity of the rules myself.  It lets you get straight to playing instead of reading and rereading.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »
This is all great news.  I saw that when it first arrived many people seemed very unhappy but I'm glad to see it's going down better.  I love the streamlined simplicity of the rules myself.  It lets you get straight to playing instead of reading and rereading.

Exactly. And the missions they've been putting out are a lot of fun. The main thing is settleing on a comp system of some kind to keep the game fair. Either based on wounds or SDK or whatever. A bunch of tournaments have been putting out comp systems and my group has been bouncing around trying those out. Makes a big difference.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:20:40 PM »
I've been playing it to death and building/painting 3 different armies! :D

Really enjoyable for quick, pick up games or for more intense, bigger and longer games.
Definitely make use of the 'Battleplans' rather than just lining up to fight.
I'm enjoying learning the varied tactics and strategies too- Warhammer 8th and earlier was fairly one-dimensional, but AoS plays like more realistic medieval battles.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:56:32 AM »
Now that is interesting, because before some people where saying that it's AoS that's too simple and one dimensional!  But after looking through the rules I'm struck by how simple and yet varied it really is.  It's definitely the right thing to do.  I don't want to sound like a fanboy but GW did well with the rules.  Even those silly ones in the warscrolls, because come on, have a sense of humour!  ;D

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 08:13:49 AM »
Now that is interesting, because before some people where saying that it's AoS that's too simple and one dimensional!  But after looking through the rules I'm struck by how simple and yet varied it really is.  It's definitely the right thing to do.  I don't want to sound like a fanboy but GW did well with the rules.  Even those silly ones in the warscrolls, because come on, have a sense of humour!  ;D

Those silly rules are rapidly disappearing, with the new grand alliance books as well.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria