News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Playing Space Marines - A Beginner's Guide (5th Edition)  (Read 52396 times)

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Playing Space Marines - A Beginner's Guide (5th Edition)
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
Given that there are no specific limits to the selection of transport in correlation to squad size you are basically taking liberty interpreting the rules by making some extra ones up; nothing prohibits you from buying a Razorback to a squad even if you do not intend to combat squad, you simply cannot use it as a transport for that squad but you can still buy it, perhaps not wise if you do not intend to combat squad but still perfectly legal. How about just letting people follow the actual rules which clearly allows what Raktra suggested?

Oh and it is codexes or codices if you want to use the academic term, not codiic. ;)

Offline Heat_Mizer

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »
Well actually there ARE limits.  A ten man squad can't be transported by something with six transport slots.  Belive me, I'd love to put ten assualt terminators in a Land Rand Crusader or take ten, break them into two Combat Squads of 5 each, and put some in the Land Raider and Deep Strike the rest.  That isn't how it works. 

The rules are clear on page 51 of the Space Marine Codex.  Rules are also clear about how many models fit into specific transports. 

There is nothing vague, unless the argument is applied to Bike Squads. SM Bike Squads go to 8 models, whereas Scout Bike Squads can have ten.  According to the paragraph with the description of Combat Squads, ten-man squads break down into two five-man squads.  An interesting trick when you only have 8 Bikers.  An interpretation would lead you to think two squads of four, but again, GW can't seem to find one competent person to write a clear ruleset. 

Combat Squads can only be split into AT deployment and army lists are made PRIOR to deployment.  It's clear if you want to read it, not if you choose to interpret based off of - well I don't know what.

If you really want to open up a can of worms, why not ask GW if the Codices take precedence over the main 40K rulebook?  I guarantee you they will tell you yes, at which point ask them why Terminators don't get a 2+ AND 5+ invulnerable save.  That is after all, what the codex says.  But we all know that's not how they are played.

That being said, play what your local shop or game club allows.  But please don't mis-interpret clearly written rules as gospel and continue to spread the mis-information.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
Well actually there ARE limits.  A ten man squad can't be transported by something with six transport slots.

No, but a ten man Tactical squad can still purchase a Razorback, even if it lacks the capacity to transport them as a whole. You are muddling the rules and create limits that don't exist, there are no requisite squad sizes necessary for purchasing a Razorback, to claim otherwise is to manufacture rules yourself. Please quote the rules which you claim create these limits.

Belive me, I'd love to put ten assualt terminators in a Land Rand Crusader or take ten, break them into two Combat Squads of 5 each, and put some in the Land Raider and Deep Strike the rest.  That isn't how it works. 

No, that isn't how it works but that is due to combat squads and reserves, not that the Terminators aren't allowed to purchase a Land Raider.

Offline ak-73

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
Well actually there ARE limits.  A ten man squad can't be transported by something with six transport slots.  Belive me, I'd love to put ten assualt terminators in a Land Rand Crusader or take ten, break them into two Combat Squads of 5 each, and put some in the Land Raider and Deep Strike the rest.  That isn't how it works. 

The only reason this does not work is because if you reserve you must reserve both combat squads. What you can do though is to buy a Crusader transport for your 10-men Terminator squad and never put a single Terminator into them.

Alex

Offline Anomander Rake

• "His lungs are...somehow out of position".
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 03:35:43 PM »

3) It is not valid to select a transport incapable of holding all models in the squad. 

I am having a hard time finding where in the rulebook such a rule is listed?
"I'm still all about rioting in Canada and Sweden, however"