News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dreadknight Armaments  (Read 934 times)

Offline Dokk

• Huh? What?
Dreadknight Armaments
« on: May 30, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
Hey gang,

Resurrecting my long defunct DH/GK army with the release of the new codex.  I've been playing around quite a bit with the standard infantry lists and have now started moving onto thinking about more complicated builds including DKs.

Now, my initial question is do people have many builds that work?  The Heavy Incinerator absolutely seems like the best infantry killer out of all weapon upgrades, but is it more worthwhile to throw on a Gatling Psilencer to nerf LI well or throw on a HP in order to deal with armor/MEQs?  Currently I'm pondering a build with Sword, HI & HP for about the cost of one of my terminator squads.  My plan is to use this and a squad of terminators as end game counterpoints to a pair of strike squads in vehicles.

I'm simply curious as to whether this is an affective build for a Dreadknight as for my feeling, I'm splitting my points too much between assault and shooting.  Is this acceptable for an MC as this is the first one I have ever outfitted?  I'm having a great deal of difficulty adapting my tactics as a gunline IG player to the more dynamic play of the new GK Codex but am enjoying the challenge.  Look forward to hearing people's thoughts on various Dreadknight builds!

Offline cauterized.hearts

• /-/ |{
Re: Dreadknight Armaments
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »
The biggest issue with the DK in my opinion is the fact that it gets very costly very quickly.  All of the options are pretty good, you'll just be fighting the desire to take too many of them.

I've seen people have success with equipping a DK with just a teleporter.  The stops the price from getting way out of hand and allows for some fast moving AT assault.  The doomfist is great for pummeling vehicles.

The greatsword makes the DK a cc machine but, again, it costs points.  In a dedicated cc build it's definitely worth it tho.

I'm not a big fan of the demonhammer.  Either go for the doomfists to save points or choose the sword.

The HI is probably the best ranged option.  The HP is nice because of the large blast, but, in my opinion, the HI gives you similar damage with a similar range only it auto hits, ignores cover, and costs less.  The HP also can't pump out the high volume of light vehicle-popping shots which make the normal psycannon so attractive.  Don't get the GP, the GKs have plenty of other options for S4 in their army.

My thoughts anyway.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
The two builds I've run are:

Teleporter and Heavy Incinerator: Mainly in for fast anti-tank with its doomfists but the incinerator is very hand for those times when it can't get to a vehicle and needs to soften up an infanty unit before assault.

Heavy Psycannon and Gatling psilencer: I play a very elite paladin army and lack quite a bit in the anti-horde department due to always shooting my psycannons at tanks, this build puts out a scary ammount of firepower at a reasonable range.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
I really think it depends on the rest of the list but if I had to choose a basic setup I would Heavy Incinerator and sword. It plays like a wraithlord only it kills even more for a similar price.

Offline The Master of Eternity

• Those that do not fight, die.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:00:01 PM »
Going along with the armaments:

When taking the all important Greatsword, does it allow you reroll all missed to-hits, wounds and vehicles pens with the fist as well or is the rule only when using the greatsword?

Also, Jump infantry rules for the DK is awesome sauce. Greatsword and teleporter to tie up those scoring units late game.
You are not free, those whose liberty is won by the rigor of other men. You are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, taking but offering nothing in return. You have freedom, but have done nothing to earn it. You will stand alone, and pay in blood. Know this and remember: my power knows no bounds save for that which is given to me through His mightiness the Omnissiah and most Holy Emperor of Mankind. ~ Forge Master Mordikai before the fall of Agridora