News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Next Up; Beasts Of Chaos  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Next Up; Beasts Of Chaos
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
Beasts of Chaos: Getting Started and Endless Spells - Warhammer Community

So, the Endless Spells all sound very good on their own and could cause quite some havoc if more than one is placed in a list alongside the Herdstone with its new rules.

I am surprised by the example army lists detailed in this article. The Cygor / Gorgon must be pretty expensive, considering there's only 20 Ungors and 20 Bestigors in the list. That said, the Bestigors probably took a large chunk out of that first list too.

I think that I'll be focusing on bringing mainly infantry and sacrificing cheap ungor units to get some monsters on the table that way instead of paying points for them. I'm actually reminded that this new Tome makes a Tzaangor heavy army completely viable (None of those bird masked Acolytes ;), cool models though!)

Ideas, ideas :D.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 11:54:40 PM »
Tzaangors are already very, very good as battleline in deciples of tzeentch, so they'll be a good and thematic addition to this book. I like the flaming bull endless spell, especially in that is can force a unit too fight last in combat, that's an incredibly strong mechanic.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
All the updated warscrolls, and beasts endless spells are now in the Age of Sigmar app.

There isn't much in the way of changes I could see in any of the Brayherd stuff, but all the Warherds now have an extra attack profile representing thier horns, which is pretty sweet. Also, Dragon Ogres Shaggoths are looking really tasty now being wizards, and now buff nearby Dragon Ogres. The Dragon Ogres ancient hand weapons went from re-roll 1's to hit to an extra 2 attacks, so six attacks each with that weapon profile is fantastic.

The app doesn't have updated points yet, so I can't see how many points the new endless spells are, but depending on their cost, all three are looking very useful. The Baleful Tarus will be something to keep an eye out for.

I can't wait to kill these guys with my Skaven!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:08:22 AM by Irisado »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »
I've looked into the BoC reviews that went up earlier today and I'm actually super happy with the rules for the Beasts of Chaos! First off, price reductions for Tzaangor Skyfires and Enlightened have me really stoked, especially if you take the Enlightened on Foot, which are waaay cheaper than on disc, which makes sense. I love all of the allegiance abilities, and a good chunk of the battalions have great special rules associated with them, plus they actually aren't too strict on what you can / cannot take in a specific battalion. You can basically take almost any combination of units and still bring just about any battalion that you want.

Am I right in thinking that you have to choose between a marked battalion or one of the Greatfrays? I think I would take the marked battalion anyway, since the Dark Walkers special rule does not apply to monsters like thought it would. The Khorne or Tzeentch marked Warherds look especially interesting.

So Squid, do you think Dragon Ogres are worth taking now? Would be cool to fit some into a list  ;D. Also how do you feel about Cygors and Gorgons? They actually don't cost as much as I thought they would, they're much cheaper than Ancient Treelords for example.

• Ancient
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »
I've not read any of the battalions yet, so I can't speak on them. Also, I've not seen the new points costs. The cygor can dispel two spells a turn, which is valuable, and the Ghorgon's ability to pick a specific model to kill could be great at forcing units out of coherency. The cygor has a terrible save though, so won't live long. I guess for both it depends on their cost.

For Thunderscorn, I think a couple of squads backed up by a shaggoth could be interesting. I heard rumours about a battalion where they do mortal wounds to units nearby them, which could be very nice!

Overall, I'm very impressed by the updated beast of chaos units. Most of the units in the book were fairly underpowered and lack luster, so this will bring them in line with all the other battletome factions.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
So I got the book. Here are my initial thoughts (from my completely Newbish perspective):

Gors don't look so great anymore. I feel like Bestigors are obvious must-haves and Ugors have a lot of uses but I can't quite see what I'd do with Gors. A tarpit, maybe?

Centigors and Chariots seem like fun ambushing units--their speed and size should let them slip around the flanks of an enemy fast.

The Gorghon looks great on paper, but I just hate the stupid model with the stupid little hooks for hands. Bleh. Anyway to mod it out with regular hands or claws or something?

All the Greatfrays look pretty cool!

Right now I'm leaning towards a Gravespawn list (because that artifact would be so *incredibly* nasty on a Beastlord), but I'm really torn since some of the other stuff is just so cool, too.

I'll put together some basic lists soon and post them up to get your thoughts.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
So I got the book. Here are my initial thoughts (from my completely Newbish perspective):

Gors don't look so great anymore. I feel like Bestigors are obvious must-haves and Ugors have a lot of uses but I can't quite see what I'd do with Gors. A tarpit, maybe?

I don't think Gors are too bad, taking a group of 30 of them is literally 10 or 20 points more expensive than taking a unit of 40 Ungors. They hit more reliably than Ungors, and taking shields give them a better save in melee, though Ungors can do that too. If you take the Khorne Battalion, you don't have to take dual weapons and can rely on the shield, since Khorne gives the bonus of dual weapons to all units anyway. Plus they get an extra attack if you can keep them above 20 models, and since they have the Brayherd, keyword, teleport them somewhere where they can close with the enemy quickly, and you can have a pretty great initial swing with them.

They can tarpit pretty well I think with shields equipped, but don't forget the herdstone whose effects will help them out a lot. No doubt you'll take Great Bray Shamans as well, give them tendrils of atrophy and stack that -1 save on a unit for -2.

Just some thoughts about them, they're only about 10 or 20 points more than Ungors if you compare the full sized units and their discounts. That makes me consider Gors way more than Ungors.

As for Bestigors, I think I actually prefer the Tzaangors with their two wounds, additional attacks (or additional accuracy) depending on their model count, plus the myriad of weapons you can bring in each squad makes me choose them over Bestigors. Though Bestigors are still wonderful and generally cheaper for a maxed out squad. That additional wound on each model for Tzaangors makes them better value in my book though. That's 60 wounds for a full squad! Pluuus, add in a Tzaangor Shaman to your list, and you're giving them buffs to their hits and wounds if you keep them together!

Excessive stats removed in accordance with forum rule 1 - Iris.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:54:45 PM by Irisado »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
I agree that Tzaangors are transparently better. But I don't want any birdmen.

See, I think the fact that gors are 20pts more than ungors is a mark *against* them. Take the ungor blade and they just aren't that much better. Keeping them over 20 guys doesn't sound easy, either.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
I agree that Tzaangors are transparently better. But I don't want any birdmen.

See, I think the fact that gors are 20pts more than ungors is a mark *against* them. Take the ungor blade and they just aren't that much better. Keeping them over 20 guys doesn't sound easy, either.

Yeah I guess that's true, I think I just like the natural hit on 4s than I do the Ungors 5s. I would likely use my Gors for a good initial charge, then basically tarpit, then sacrifice, which you can also use Ungors for to be honest.

Plus I like the models for Gors, so I guess it's just preference :).

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 04:10:05 PM »
The Ungors only hit on 5s if you take spears--take the blade and it's exactly the same. Which is kinda why I don't see the point of Gors.

The best I can figure is you take a full-size mob of gors, give them shields, and let them keep their extra attacks for longer as they tarpit it out in combat. But their Bravery isn't that good and outside of the Herdstone there isn't a hell of a lot to help them with that (the Allfray's ability, I guess), so how long can they reasonably tarpit (whatever it is you plan on tarpitting)?

Better to save the points on the Ungors, who will last *almost* as long for less.

Though I agree, I do prefer the Gor models.   

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 04:16:16 PM »
The Ungors only hit on 5s if you take spears--take the blade and it's exactly the same. Which is kinda why I don't see the point of Gors.

Ah, I guess I should re-read the Ungor Warscroll as well, didn't realize they had an option for blades. In that case, you are correct, Ungors definitely win :P, which is somewhat crazy when you think about it and compare it to the lore. Interesting, that means I should probably take another look at the list I posted not too long ago.

• Ancient
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 05:15:49 PM »
I just picked up the Beasts of Chaos book today, so I've not had a lot of time to look at it. I do like 30 man units of gors with paired weapons. For 210pts, that's pretty good. I would probably take two 30 man gor units, and a 40 man ungor unit as my three battleline. Screen with the Ungors and attack with the gors. That's only 620pts for 100 models. If you make them Khorne marked, and ally in a Bloodsecrator, to give them all immunity to battleshock, and +1 attack you'll be laughing.

I think the Marked battalions allow you a lot of fun options for allying with the other gods books. Not really much Slaanesh synergy yet (until they get a book), but a lot of cool options for bringing in Nurgle and Khorne heros to buff your beasts.

I really like the Thunderscorn artifact, which allows you to choose an enemy wizard to not cast spells for a turn. That could be game changing.

I'm mostly just impressed by all the army building options in the book, it's quite a flexible armylist, and the battalions don't pigeon hole you too much. I'm excited for my Skaven to get the same treatment.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
But for 200 points you get 40 ungors. That's 120 models for 20 points less, re-rolling 1s *and* 2s.

Granted you don't get the 2 attacks apiece, but run with spears and you're making twice the attacks, right?

Doesn't seem to me like the gors give you that much.

• Ancient
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 09:13:51 PM »
Hard to say. Gors with 2 attacks, are wayyy better than an ungor with a spear.

From what I've seen, the Herdstone is probably one of the best free terrain in the game, and the summoning mechanic is very strong. I can easily see summoning tons of units of 10 Ungors to just jump on objectives.

The horn endless spell is crazy good, and I can't imagine playing beasts of chaos without taking it. An increasing bubble of -1 to hit?! That's absolutely incredible, and can just stop other melee armies, especially if you can find more ways to get -1 to hit.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria