News:

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #200 on: June 2, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
Itís funny you guys should mention cracked Martian earth red, because in the early stages of this project I was considering having parts of the armour in red, which was often featured in the steampunk images I used as references.

Thank you for the advice though everyone.  Iím going to back off painting the Overlords for a while until I figure this out (gold on the armour and red bases are definitely worth trying out) and instead focus on assembling the rest of them. 

Also, I very nearly stepped on one Arkanaut that had become stuck to the underside of my foam carrier case shelf.  That would be have been awful.  Iím going to have to replace that thing.  :P

In the meantime, check out my lastest work on the Celestial Lions:

You can also find them here: More Celestial Lion WIP - Album on Imgur

The sergeantís lion head is actually two.  I had to snap one in half (losing one half under the desk in the process and requiring a second one) and trim the top off before reassembling it in order to get it to fit.  It was a nightmare. :P

Right now Iím in a position where 40k the game isnít interesting me whilst age of Sigmar the painting project is interesting me a little but is requiring a major rethink.  Meanwhile, 40k the modelling project has gripped me tight whilst age of Sigmar the game is the only thing I play now.  Funny that.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • I dunno!!!
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, GK, Necrons, IK, DGuard
« Reply #201 on: June 2, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
I really do like the colors as I said before. I can also see the highlights on these guys. I guess I just couldn't see the nice subtle shading on the dwarves as well as on the lions. I can really see it on the lions. Probably just lost in pic translation.

A weird thought tho, maybe you might do the grey on the dwarves in the blue like the lions. Just a thought. Those colors work soooo well together.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

01000101 01101100 01100100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01010010 01110101 01101100 01100101 00100001

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Renegade Autarch
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #202 on: June 3, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
They look great Tangi. Love the scheme and the shoulder pads look awesome! Any idea on the basing for these guys? I think something muted like grey rubble would look good myself... I'm really dying to get some Primaris Marines for my Dark Angels. My buddy asked me to paint a wrecked Eldar flyer in my paint scheme for a piece of terrain and I'm gonna try and trade the work for some Primaris Marines (if he has any to trade). The more I see of them, the more I like them.

Out of curiorisity have you played your Guard in 8th edition? They are absolutely savage. It'd be a good way of easing your Primaris into games as well.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #203 on: June 3, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
I really do like the colors as I said before. I can also see the highlights on these guys. I guess I just couldn't see the nice subtle shading on the dwarves as well as on the lions. I can really see it on the lions. Probably just lost in pic translation.

A weird thought tho, maybe you might do the grey on the dwarves in the blue like the lions. Just a thought. Those colors work soooo well together.

I never thought of that!  So like Barak-Zonís scheme but replacing red with green?  Could work...thanks for the suggestion!

They look great Tangi. Love the scheme and the shoulder pads look awesome! Any idea on the basing for these guys? I think something muted like grey rubble would look good myself... I'm really dying to get some Primaris Marines for my Dark Angels. My buddy asked me to paint a wrecked Eldar flyer in my paint scheme for a piece of terrain and I'm gonna try and trade the work for some Primaris Marines (if he has any to trade). The more I see of them, the more I like them.

Out of curiorisity have you played your Guard in 8th edition? They are absolutely savage. It'd be a good way of easing your Primaris into games as well.

Thanks Cav!  I havenít had a chance to try out the remains of my IG force in 8th edition yet but I would like to.  They are said to be powerful, which is great because I remember the bad days when we were a joke.

As for basing the Lions, I was aiming to go for grey rubble myself.  Grey would look great against the gold.  And I strongly recommend getting some Primarus marines asap.  Once you go Prime youíll never go back!  ;D

Also, Iím now going to present to you guys something very different.  In recognition of the (sadly underperforming) Solo movie, and two and a half years after I received the last parts, I finally started work on my Millennium Falcon model.  Hereís what Iíve got done so far:

Please excuse the poor presentation.  My desk is full of paint pots and Lions.  And in case you guys want to know just how big this thing is, check out the 1:1 scale blueprint:

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • I dunno!!!
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, GK, Necrons, IK, DGuard
« Reply #204 on: June 3, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
I've seen Solo twice now, people don't know what they're missing. The falcon is gonna be cool from what I see here.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

01000101 01101100 01100100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01010010 01110101 01101100 01100101 00100001

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #205 on: June 6, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
Reactions to my dwarves in person have been lukewarm.  Theyíre said to be too dark, with not enough contrast between the armour and the suits.  I think getting the bases right will alleviate that (go bright?), but is there anything else you guys think I could do with them?

I think you worry too much about what other people think. Do you like the way that your Dwarves look? If you do then I think you should relax a bit

I really like the way your models look and I appreciate the way your low contrast scheme matches what I think of as a typically Dwarven aesthetic. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Online Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #206 on: June 8, 2018, 03:12:06 PM »
Reactions to my dwarves in person have been lukewarm.  Theyíre said to be too dark, with not enough contrast between the armour and the suits.  I think getting the bases right will alleviate that (go bright?), but is there anything else you guys think I could do with them?

I think you worry too much about what other people think. Do you like the way that your Dwarves look? If you do then I think you should relax a bit

I really like the way your models look and I appreciate the way your low contrast scheme matches what I think of as a typically Dwarven aesthetic.

Couldn't agree more with what Alienscar says. I may think that they're a touch dark, but if you like them...well, it's your army and who did you paint them for? Me, someone else, or you? So if you like them, beslubber everybody else.

One thing that I'll reiterate though; get them based! It doesn't matter how you base them, but do a test model. That will finish the model and only then will you be able to truly ascertain whether the paint scheme works well enough or needs to be lightened up.

Get. Them. Based.

!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

The word censor does the censoring, so that you don't have to ;) - Iris.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2018, 05:44:59 PM by Irisado »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »
Bah! 'Too dark', 'not enough contrast'. What do they want? Pint-sized Stormcast?

No, there are oily gritty steampunk dwarves. If they want shorter Stormcast I'm sure your guys will happily cut them off at the knees for them ;)

However, I did have a thought. Taking a bit of a wider view it's your whole army that creates the visual impression, not just one dude. You can leave your guys dark and low-contrast but play with the glowing blue for a 'pop' colour. Things like endrinriggers and frigates have those little luft-baubles chock full of little vents.

If you paint those glowing blue you could end up with a gritty oily army punctuated by glowing blue lights for contrast, like eyes peering out of the gloom.

As your painting progresses you can have a stab at doing some OSL as well :) that'd satisfy the visual pop requirement plenty
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!