News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My draigowing 1750pts  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Embolden

My draigowing 1750pts
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »
Just for reference this is my 1750pt draigowing list.

Draigo
Coteaz
10 Paladins: 4 psycannons, banner, 3 hammers, 7 halberds
1 Paladin: halberd
5 Warrior acolytes
5 Warrior acolytes
10 Strikes: 2 psycannons
Dreadnought: 2 autocannons, psybolt ammo
1750pts

With between 6 and 7 scoring units ad standard, not including grand strat and the big guns mission this army is capable of winning any mission.

The plan is fairly simple, draigo, coteaz and the 10 paladins rush forward, the strikes protect the dreads, while the solodin and warriors look to jump on objectives. Simple, effective and it works!

Thoughts?

Offline Prophecy

Re: My draigowing 1750pts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:30 PM »
Seeing as how the majority of the list is about the paladins I would add an apothecary. I would also put some bolters or storm bolters on those warriors. I think this could be done by dropping a dakka dread.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:18:14 PM »
The apoth is not worth the fire power of a dreadnought, my original list had an apoth and second solodin in place of 5 strike and 5 warriors. 3 dreads should be the staple of most gk lists.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
The apothecary is just SOOO many points! There is a point at which you have to decide whether or not hte best defence is a good offence!

It's a shame to see you've dropped your Dreadknight though, they are probably tougher to deal with than the dreadnoughts - particularly with the new hull point rules.

Not 100% sure what the warrior acolytes are bringing to the table either... other than being a very cheap scoring unit... (perhaps that is all you want them for?)

Offline Embolden

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
Hey mate, how's things?

I have to agree, the paladins with draigo make for a very durable unit as it is, the apoth is luxury.

I've tried the dreadknight and not being able to assault from reserve is big hit, with the way I like to use them. They're also struggling with the meta change towards plasma and bulkier squads, no msu to pick on lol.

The warriors are there to score and that's it, I've tried plasma/melta but that makes them a target which is not what I want, I'm half tempted to try bolters/storm bolters on them just to give them some offensive threat, it's a shame the flamers cost as much as the other weapon options.

I have a tournament next weekend, so this will be the first time using the army is anger!! :)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
See, the thing is that many armies will have stuff that will simply not be able to deal with teh paladins... but you'll have some soft squishy units in there to draw fire... I don't imagine they can simply sit in the backfield... after all, that's where the dreadnoughts are, and they can be made to be scoring (or get it automatically depending on mission!) so it you'd probably want them to be moving to flanks where the paladins aren't!?!

Not sure how well that will work, and no doubt it'll be better vs some than others. So, best of luck at the tournament and let us know how you get on!

Finally, yea, things are okay at my end... getting to work with (finally) building up a necron army, but to be honest despite the volume of fire I can get out I just don't really know how I'd deal with those paladins at all...

Offline MortVader83

• There's no reason for it. It's just our policy
  • Armies: Grey Knights 5th Brotherhood, CSM, Nids, DA, SM.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »
 I like the list. Balanced, as much as a 10 Pal list can as such lol, and should do well. My one suggestion would be to find the points for search lights on your dreads. If you face the right kind of Necron player you can be looking at it being night-fight for your shooting half the game. Being able to gang fire dreads into a unit he thinks is going to get a good cover save on helps . I generally target whatever unit is causing that crap or the transport they are in.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Embolden

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
@oink
Sorry I'm posting from my mobile so cannot quote for some reason? Anyways...
I fully expect the dreads to get shot to death, this is where the warriors come in as they can just jump on the objective, plug the gap or act as a barrier to units assaulting/meltering the dreads.

But let's say I drop the warrior acolytes, where/how do I spend the 40pts?

Necrons have two of the best tools in dealing with paladins, mobility and mass shots, both str8 and in general shots. Deathmarks with crypteks with str8 ap2 flamers will make a mess of them. I really REALLY hate annihilation barges with tesla. Immortals in night scythes will be annoying, because I cannot stop them getting into my backfield, which is not what I want/need.

@mort
Searchlights are a good thought, I could drop 2 warrior acolytes for 3 searchlights and 5 boltguns for the other squad?

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
The list just needs more. How about drop a dread and turn the strikes into Purifiers. Then the leftover points could be spent on more bolter acolytes.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Hmm by dropping a dread with 4 twin linked str8 autocannon shots and a hull,  but by taking upgrading to purifiers i gain 4 or 8 psycannon shots, plus another few bodies.

I don't think it's worth it, plus the strikes have warp quake which will really put off those pesky deep strking units, cleansing flame and fearless is fine, but again not essential.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
Ok...You had stated the point of strikes was to protect the dreads. Double the shots and attacks = dread protection. Plus you get more acolytes and even search lights on the remaining dreads. Why post a list that you are only willing to change about 50 pts in? I guess I am just confused as we keep telling you to make basic changes and yet you won't give an inch.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
But to double the psycannon shots, I have to drop a 3rd of the dreadsi'm trying to protect? Plus there fire power is invaluable, to help take out flyers which easily avoid the 30" threat range of the purifiers, when I have the strike squads anyway, it doesn't seem a smart move to me.

I never said I was willing to change the list, I've asked for peoples thoughts and that's what I've got so far. Tbh I think i will be making a minor change to the list,dropping 2 warrior acolytes from 1 squad adding in 5 boltguns to the second squad, and 3 searchlights to the dreads. Not massive changes, but changes for the better.

If I was going for purifiers I think the better option would be to drop the solodin then plow the points into 5 strikes, turning them into 5 purifiers with 2 psycannons, leaving 20pts, so quite a few options, from more warriors, weapon upgrades, searchlights etc.

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »
 I would just drop the one warrior for the SLs. Taking a unit you plan to use for scoring down to 3 bodies will make it ineffective at best. Also, five bolters really won't help as much as an extra body.

If you really want to protectect your Dreads, you could get an ADL and beef up your SS. I have been having killer luck, pun intended, with my gunline behind the defence line. Adding psybolts to the SS allows the whole unit to threaten most incoming transports, and enough firepower to down a nightscythe or valk even. I run a psiback, lasback, 2x Psirifle Dreads, Vindicare, and a ten man SS behind the ADL. The guaranteed cover is great, fantastic if you add a liby lol.
"Ofcourse it's safe to smoke! I'm just loading Class-A fireworks, nothing dangerous."

Offline Embolden

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:17:56 AM »
SLs?

That's a lot of stuff sitting behind tha ADL, psybolt ammo is a good idea for the strikes.

I could make the points for an ADL, firstly dropping coteaz down to a psyker inquisitor I still want prescience, that save about 30pts, the I'd have to drop the warrior acolytes saving another 40pts, which gives me my pts for an ADL.

The problem then is, is it worth it?

Offline MortVader83

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 01:52:54 AM »
 Or you keep Coteaz, drop the solodin and a warrior squad. This gives you enough for the ADL ,psybolts, and 3x SLs (search lights). You retain a cheap, easily hidden scoring unit and maintain your deathstar's 2+ along with Coteaz's other abilities.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #15 on: September 5, 2012, 02:27:50 AM »
I went to a tournament at the weekend and ended up taking:

Draigo
10 Paladins - 4 MC Psycannons, Banner, Apoth, 3 Hammers, 6 Halberds
1 Paladin - Halberd
5 Strikes - Psycannon, Justicar w/ Halberd
5 Interceptors - Psycannon, Justicar w/ Halberd
Dreadnought - 2 Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo, Searchlight

I did very well, I won't spoil where I came yet because the battle reports are being posted on my blog, you can read game1 and 2 if you're interested (Embolden40k Blog) with game 3, 4 and 5 to follow this week.

But I have to say this listed worked really well, but there is plenty of room for improvement,at the very minimum I want an Aegis defence line.

So that means dropping 100pts to find room for an Aegis Defence line and Quad-Gun and I need something to man the thing, so there are plenty of options and I'm keen to try 2 ways. The first:

Drop the Interceptors and while I'm at it, I'm going to drop the Strikes, that's 162pts or 165pts if I drop the searchlights on the dreads, so I need something to man the Quad-gun, the Answer seems to be Guard, with a Company Command with Autocannon and a Vet Squad with Autocannon coming in at 140pts leaving room for something like Camocloaks for a 3+ cover save.

Or I keep the Interceptors and Strikes, and I find the points by dropping a Dreadnought, which will leave 35pts to spend on the list, I could upgrade to Strikes to Interceptors making them a 10man squad, or drop the interceptors down to strikes freeing up 70pts for some inquisitor fun or a Razorback or keep as they are and spend the pts on the Paladins, get a stave and master craft the hammers.

Thoughts?