News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Female Tau  (Read 33289 times)

Offline skalnok

• i like harlequins they make me laugh
Re: Female Tau
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2008, 09:33:10 AM »
in the book firewarrior ( and yes i know it was horrible) there are several efemale firewarriors in kais's squad,and im pretty sure that their armour covers any "womanly gifts" and they look very similar
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

If I eat your brain, do I gain your talen

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
I must say I'm pleased that those Tau women aren't over-sexualised - something this game is often at risk of.
I like the way he presented the women, too.  Far too much in the land of geekdom, there are Twi'lek dancers.

Some Sister of Battle artwork springs to mind, which is kind of creepy, as they're supposed to be chaste and modest.
I know what you mean; things like the page 12-13 artwork.  At least their armor is full plate.

Contrary to the pictures, I'd guess most Fire caste Tau would have shaven heads or keep their hair closely cropped.  Perhaps as time goes by more ostentation is allowed, for ceremonial purposes.
I think you might be on to something.  It occurs to me that hair would not be so much of a problem in a Battle Suite cockpit, would it?  It won't get caught on branches or have trouble fitting under a helmet.  So, one of the benefits, fringe in the case, of being in a suite is the right to grow your hair long.  It would be a way to state that you have a reached a higher status.  That way Suite pilots could be recognized and given honor for their deeds.  If hair is a pallet for decorations signifying a persons exploits, it might be inferred that the rights to talk about those exploits only apply once a Warrior has demonstrated that he is dedicated enough to the Greater Good to be able to brag about those exploits, but still keep his mind on the Greater Good, and hence also be worthy for a Battle Suite.  I think being able to keep ones ego in check is a requirement for earning a Suite, IIRC.

Tau have a greater range of colours?
Shadowsuns is red, I think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:43:35 AM by Gornon »
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 04:36:56 AM »
I think you might be on to something.  It occurs to me that hair would not be so much of a problem in a Battle Suite cockpit, would it?  It won't get caught on branches or have trouble fitting under a helmet.  So, one of the benefits, fringe in the case, of being in a suite is the right to grow your hair long.  It would be a way to state that you have a reached a higher status.

There could also be a traditional element to it, going back to the ancient Fire caste tribes. The codex mentions Fire caste squad markings as deriving from pre-Ethereal warpaint - use of hair as a status symbol may have a similar origin. As such longer, more elaborate hair could be associated with more traditional septs, such as Sa'cea or Vior'la. The role of such traditions within the Fire caste are potentially interesting, counterpointing the more modern, technologically advanced techniques we associate with the Fire caste.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 04:07:14 PM »
The role of such traditions within the Fire caste are potentially interesting, counterpointing the more modern, technologically advanced techniques we associate with the Fire caste.

The Fire Warriors are very traditional.  One thing that is stressed about the Fire Cast is how much weight they place on honor and tradition, rather odd considering their normally pragmatic approach to situations.

I think that in this case, hair braids are a Tau thing, not just limited to the Fire Cast.  Glancing at page 9 of the new dex shows that all Tau have their hair braided.  I think that, to the Tau, hair beads, braids, and ribbons are similar to our tattoos, piercings, and clothing style.  Hair decoration would be a compromise between the unity that they stress and still being able to point out individual accomplishments.  Hair decorations means everyone has to show off the same way, and hair decorations means that everyone can wear similar cloths to show they are not better then anyone else.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 04:11:56 PM by Gornon »
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Irandrura

• Only mildly annoying
  • Ancient
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
I think that in this case, hair braids are a Tau thing, not just limited to the Fire Cast.

Possibly, though as we are dealing with four distinct ethnic groups, it seems likely that each caste would have its own traditions. I agree with you that the Fire caste, and the Air caste too for that matter, would be among the most traditional, owing to their greater isolation from Tau society as a whole, but all castes likely have distinct customs.

Then, naturally, different septs and worlds will have their own ways, and even different groups within those groupings according to social links across caste lines, and so on and so forth. As such I wouldn't generalise that all Tau will braid their hair (just as, in your analogy, not all humans are tattooed or pierced). It may be traditional, evoking images of honour, respectability, the martial pride of the ancestors, etc., but I'm sure their sense of style goes beyond just that.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Offline loko shas-o

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
i always felt that Tau were not far removed from an insect stylised society; various castes fulfilling specified roles which have determined their intellect and physical properties, one ruling caste which the others follow without hesitation, allowing productivity and purpose beyond the normal levels.

this would explain the high speed adaption and technological advancement and also the ethereals strange powers over the other castes, also a plausable explanation for the suspicious interaction with the vespid.

how this concerns females is that it would make sense that the females are infact physically equal to the males however are capable of increasing greatly in size to a 'queen' in order to spawn, younger fire&air caste females would be allowed to serve militarily, this would act as an advanced form of natural selection in order create a next generation of smarter and stronger tau from the surviving females.

i don't know if any of these points have been made before but i hope i made sense, i'm new to tau and warhammer in general however i think it's reasonable

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
The BL book Xenology features a Tau dissection, and the Tau itself is supposed to be female, though if you look at the picture, there isn't really any distinguishing features that separates them from males. They just have the corresponding equipment but no breasts or even different facial features. From what I could see and understand from the text.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
Female Tau are everywhere.

I'd heard that Tau women are kept primarily out of the army to ensure a breeding line for the Caste though I'm not sure of the veracity of this, word of mouth, or if it's been retconned in later editions. 

That awful book Fire Warrior mentioned mixed sex Teams in operation as well as in training.

Late Edit:
Kais recognised the squat physique of the shas’la on point: a female named Keth’rit who had trained with him on T’au.

Really late edit 2:
KorÕvre Rann TÕpell, ensconced within the comfortable confines of the second shuttle’s cockpit, nodded in satisfaction at the sensor displays. Glancing at the concave grid of viewscreens before her, she noted that her sister vessel had finished deploying its cargo of fire warriors and was beginning to lift clear. Nodding, she finalised her smooth descent with practiced ease and tapped at a control, remotely informing the deck officer that disembarkation could begin.

However, this thread was from last March and it's generally not a good idea to reply to anything more than a few weeks old.  ;)

Welcome to the Forum all the same.

Cheers.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.