News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [HM/NM] Mixed fluff and effectiveness, please help.  (Read 1720 times)

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
[HM/NM] Mixed fluff and effectiveness, please help.
« on: June 27, 2004, 12:38:56 PM »
Hi guys! It looks like I need some help. Well, to be honest, I’m totally bogged down.

I’m trying to make a ‘fluffy’ list, but one that can still win, and it turns out pretty hard. For example my list lacks any real counter assault units because my planet doesn’t have access to rough riders or ogryns. If you don’t want to read the ‘brief ::)’ introduction, skip to next post.

A brief introduction to my planet, just so you understand my choices:
M.41, deep in the Ultima Segmentum, Hive fleet Leviathan strikes the Imperium.
Planet Lyrax (OK, I haven’t got a name for it yet…until I have I’ll call it Lyrax) lies in a calm region of space, the greatest threat are occasional pirates and thanks to the Imperial shipyards nearby, the planet only has to send very few of it’s workers as guardsmen to war. As capital planet of the system, Lyrax has a scola progenium (sp?), where a substantial part the elite forces of the sub-sector are trained.
But now the threat is more serious, a part of the giant Hive fleet is on the way to Lyrax’ system, and for the fist time in two-and-a-half millennia the war fleets aren’t sufficient to protect the it. Every able man has been called to arms and finally the high command of Lyrax has decided to call up the home guard. The finest troops Lyrax has to offer. The home guard fights as SAFH army, somewhere between Mordian and cadian tactics. The army will line up behind a hedge of bayonets, well armoured with full flak armour and armed with plasma guns and missile launchers. They are well-trained soldiers, trained for months to insure they are at their best when it comes to the actual fighting.
Because of the new threat, many men are drafted into conscript platoons, dressed in traditional black armour until they are considered worthy enough to wear the blue parade armour of the home guard.
Jr. officers are chosen from the troops and receive extra officer training. Because they come directly from the troops, the men respect their officers, and will follow them into hell. New officers are trained by the scola progenium (sp?) to shoot men who don’t, and can be as ruthless as a commissar if necessary. As Jr officers are still considered line troopers, they don’t have access to more expensive weaponry such as power weapons.
Beside the normal home guard, Lyrax has produced a number of mobile regiments. Dressed in the traditional grey, armoured fist units are trained in close quarter fighting, and so are well armed with flamers, swords and knifes.
If soldiers of the home guard survive long enough, they might be chosen in one of the veteran regiments. Again, this requires extra training (luckily Lyrax is a rich planet thanks to the shipbuilding industry) and grants the guardsmen the honour of trading in their blue parade armour for full green armour and fatigues. These ‘light infantry’ regiments are mainly used to harass the enemy from a medium to short range with their grenade launchers, shotguns and sniper rifles. The only tanks ever used as support by these regiments are hellhound flame tanks.
The rest of Lyrax’ armoured support is simple, the planet doesn’t have the technology to create complicated machines and guns, so the armoured regiments consist only of the most basic tanks (Russes, chimeras, griffons, no things like basilisks or demolishers)

That was a lot longer than I planned on writing, my apologies for letting you read all of this.
I also have to note that my fluff, like my list, isn’t final. For example; though Lyrax can’t create demolishers, they might have borrowed a few from a nearby planet for a special mission. And my Jr officer might have been rewarded for heroic actions and given a power sword.   

Anyway, my list. I need help in two ways, firstly what to add to make it a solid 1750pts army, and secondly what to lose to make it a 1500pts army. In 1500pts the conscripts will be missing since that would require me to paint 30 more troopers, and I’m not such a fast painter. The removal of my meat shield does leave a gap though, and it still isn’t enough points removed. Taking away my chimera would lose me my only strong mobile unit to claim objectives, and taking away my hellhound would leave 2nd platoon pretty much unsupported.
Any advice would be great.

The army can probably deal with horde armies as well as marine armies by the sheer amount of fire it can pour out. Thanks to the sentinels and grenade launchers I should be able to take care of transports as well.
My biggest enemies will be heavy tanks (Russes, Land raiders) and assault units such as berserkers. Since my army is most effective at 24”-12” range, I hope to pin or weaken them enough to finish them off with lasguns salvos.
I’m not sure how I’ll do against Tau armies. 

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
Re: [HM/NM] Mixed fluff and effectiveness, please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 12:39:36 PM »
Again, sorry for the long story, apparently I haven’t been gifted with the talent to sum things up in short. Any advise to make this a 1500pts army and how to make this a 1750pts army would be appreciated.

My list:

Doctrines:
Light Infantry
Iron discipline
Close Order Drill
Conscripts
Storm Troopers (not used, so open)

HQ
Command platoon  -  298pts
Command squad – 2x plasma gun, medic, standard-bearer  - [108pts]
Senior officer, bolt pistol, power weapon, iron discipline

Anti tank squad – 3x lascannon  -  [110pts]

Fire support squad – 3x heavy bolter  -  [80pts]

TROOPS

Conscripts – 30x lasgun, COD  -  120pts

1st Infantry Platoon  -  247pts
Command squad – 2x grenade launcher, autocannon  -  [77pts]
Jr. officer – bolter, ID

Infantry squad 1 – 8x lasgun, plasma gun, missile launcher  -  [85pts]

Infantry squad 2 – 8x lasgun, plasma gun, missile launcher  -  [85pts]

2nd Infantry Platoon  -  329pts
Command squad – 3x grenade launcher, light infantry  -  [80pts]
Jr. officer, bolter, ID

Infantry squad 1 – 7x lasgun, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, light infantry  -  [83]
Sergeant – shotgun

Infantry squad 2 – 7x lasgun, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, light infantry  -  [83]
Sergeant – shotgun

Infantry squad 3 – 7x lasgun, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, light infantry  -  [83]
Sergeant – shotgun

Armoured Fist squad – flamer, COD  -  160pts
Veteran sergeant – laspistol, cc wpn
Chimera – multi laser, hvy bolter, smoke launchers – [88pts]

FAST ATTACK
Sentinel – multilaser  -  45pts
Sentinel – multilaser  -  45pts
Hellhound – inferno cannon, hvy bolter, smoke launchers – 118pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Battle Tank – hvy bolter  -  145pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank – hvy bolter  -  155pts

Total Point value: 1662pts

Models in army: 123 (6 vehicles)
HQ: 20% (1 choice)
Troops: 57% (4 choices)
Fast Attack: 13% (3 choices)
Heavy Support: 20% (2 choices)

Offline Narvlen

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 12:54:37 PM »
Doctrines:
Light Infantry
Iron discipline
Close Order Drill
Conscripts

Maybe this would be Better Fluffwise :
Light Infantry
Iron Discipline
Xeno-Fighter nids
Conscripts
Grenadiers

I like it for the most part , Maybe Slap a a Trademark Item on your Senior
Officer . After reading the Story I feel you may want to include Commissar to slap men in line that are "Found wanting" on the Frontline

Maybe some Flamers for the meatshield

Pretty good I think if Played Right , just needs a little Tweaking  ;)
Arguing Online like competing in the special Olympics

Member of League of 18 Tactician- Mechanized

" We Will let the Dice Decide "

Member of the prestigious 40k.ca commissariate

4K Cadian 33rd Ranger Division
4k Ork Army "wu-tang Clan"
2k Witchhunter

http://commissar.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 01:07:39 PM »
Doctrines:
Light Infantry
Iron discipline
Close Order Drill
Conscripts

Maybe this would be Better Fluffwise :
Light Infantry
Iron Discipline
Xeno-Fighter nids
Conscripts
Grenadiers

Xeno-fighters was my fist Idea, but there aren't hordes of nid players around here, so in most games it would be a waste of points. I picked COD because it is free and not completely unfluffy.

I like it for the most part , Maybe Slap a a Trademark Item on your Senior
Officer . After reading the Story I feel you may want to include Commissar to slap men in line that are "Found wanting" on the Frontline

Sounds good, I'll do that.

Maybe some Flamers for the meatshield

dunno... I'll try it out a few games.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 01:11:04 PM »
Xeno hunters really isn't all that worth it. Who cares if you hit more often if you're dead before you swing? You're still I3, maybe 4 with COD.
You're better off just modeling the anti-tyranid stuff on just for show and use a normal Doctrine.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Narvlen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 01:19:36 PM »
Xeno hunters really isn't all that worth it. Who cares if you hit more often if you're dead before you swing? You're still I3, maybe 4 with COD.
You're better off just modeling the anti-tyranid stuff on just for show and use a normal Doctrine.

Just for the sake of Fluff
Arguing Online like competing in the special Olympics

Member of League of 18 Tactician- Mechanized

" We Will let the Dice Decide "

Member of the prestigious 40k.ca commissariate

4K Cadian 33rd Ranger Division
4k Ork Army "wu-tang Clan"
2k Witchhunter

http://commissar.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 04:40:49 PM »
Fluff isn't hard.

Take Ogryns. Your planet may not have them, but you can still get into your army thusly:

During their latest campaign (eg: The one this battle represents), the regiment was joined by several Ancillery units, including a squad of Ogryns.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 09:43:01 AM »
Fluff isn't hard.

Take Ogryns. Your planet may not have them, but you can still get into your army thusly:

During their latest campaign (eg: The one this battle represents), the regiment was joined by several Ancillery units, including a squad of Ogryns.

Yeah, well, I do want to stay true to my fluff as far as possible. In my fluff this wouldn't be realistic.

I've been thinking about the commissar, would it be really worth it? The planet isn't famous for it's commissars, more for it's storm troopers, so the regiment still doesn't have more than one commie. Meaning I don't have to include one to keep my fluff sound.
But I don't think my HQ will get into cc unless it's needed, so isn't a 60pts commie (powerfist) a bit much? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Any advice on my initial question (how to make this a 1500pts list AND how to make this a 1750pts list) is also more than welcome.

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 09:46:47 AM »
Yeah, well, I do want to stay true to my fluff as far as possible. In my fluff this wouldn't be realistic.
So your saying your regiment never leaves their planet?

Bullamphetamine parrot.

The Guard do what they're told. If the general says "Stand in front of that Firewarrior squad and get killed" you bloody well do it.

If you get shipped into the same theatre as Ogryns, you can use them. There is no "not fluffy" about it.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

-175th Galetonian.

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 10:08:41 AM »
If your officer says 'shoot the big mutants' you shoot the Ogryns.

Not all generals like Ogryns...

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 12:10:13 PM »
If your officer says 'shoot the big mutants' you shoot the Ogryns.

Not all generals like Ogryns...
Generals don't get a choice.

The Administratum (and the Inquisition) say Ogryns are okay. Say otherwise, and you can explain your opinions to the Ordo Hereticus.

-175th Galetonian.