News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts, me again  (Read 902 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
2000 pts, me again
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:57:42 PM »
Hello, it's me again, and I've been retooling my army lists since I got my arse handed to me and I've once again come up with another one. Well, here it is.

Doctrines
Conscripts
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Veterans

HQ
Heroic Sr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Frag Grenades, Bionics

Veteran   -Standard Bearer

Flamer   

Commissar - Power Weapon, Frag Grenades   

149 pts

Elites

2x Veteran Squads

10 Veterans - 3 Meltaguns, PowerFist

Chimera - Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

456 pts

Troops

2x Platoons

Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Honorifica Imperialis*
Flamer
Flamer

Squad - Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
Squad - Heavy Bolter, Plasma

*Second platoon HQ does not have this

20 Conscripts

20 Conscripts

795 pts.

Fast Attack

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Heavy Support

Leman Russ - 3x Heavy Bolters

Basilisk - Indirect Fire

435 pts.

3 Officers
132 Enlisted Men
1 Advisor
2 Light Tanks
2 Heavy Tanks
1 Artillary Piece

Well, that's what I have so far, and at the this moment I'm beginning to believe that I may beed 20 more conscripts, but finding the extra points will be tough. I want to keep a high leadership for the officers however, so the conscripts can't run, and the only things I can see myself ditching is the Commissar and the Honorifica, leaving me a few points shy.

Anyways, is it wise to add more conscripts, or are those 40 good enough?

Actually, I've posted the alternative below, tell me which is better.

b]Doctrines[/b]
Conscripts
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Veterans

HQ
Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Frag Grenades, Bolt Pistol, Honorifica

Veteran   -Standard Bearer

Flamer   

94 pts

Elites

2x Veteran Squads

456 pts

Troops

2x Platoons

Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline
Flamer
Flamer

30 Conscripts

30 Conscripts

850 pts.

Fast Attack

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Heavy Support

Basilisk - Indirect Fire

435 pts.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:13:04 AM by *Nosferatu* »

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
Re: 2000 pts, me again
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »
I like #2 better.

HQ
Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline, Frag Grenades, Bolt Pistol, Honorifica

Veteran   -Standard Bearer

Flamer   

94 pts

I like the JO/HSO.  He will give solid leadership and make a good "last ditch" counter charger.  Normally, I would say drop the flamer, but I think you are going for the old conscript road hump huh?  In that case, then you will get the chance to use the flamer.

Elites

2x Veteran Squads

456 pts
What is their job?  At the moment they look to be roll up tank hunters or counter chargers.  If you are using them as counter chargers combined with the conscripts, I would switch out the melts for plasma guns.  For a roll up and shoot, they are better.  For tank hunting 5 man suicide deep strike squads are better.

Troops

2x Platoons

Jr. Officer - Power Weapon, Iron Discipline
Flamer
Flamer

30 Conscripts

30 Conscripts

850 pts.

I do not like Missile Launchers, and the Grenade Launcher is inferior to a Plasma Gun in a gun line situation, the slight points difference and chance to overhead is well worth that tasty AP and one more point of strength.  Upgrade the ML to a LasCannon and the GL to a Plasma Gun.

The Heavy Bolters are just fine.

The Conscripts are fine, they are small enough to toss away, but large enough that they can get shot up.  They also have enough numbers to spread out a bit so the enemy can not simply run around them.  The Officer nearby will mean they will hold for the most part until the enemy gets close, then they test at their own leadership and run to do the speed bump tactic.
Fast Attack

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Lascannon Sentinel

Some people love them, some hate them.  I myself am wary of a high priority AV 10 target.

Heavy Support

Basilisk - Indirect Fire
Looks great.  I use the same configuration.  Either he panics and attacks the Russes or ignores them and gets shot by pie plates.  The bassie can force some pinning tests and makes a great hunt whatever unit.

Overall, I find that it to be a good list, it has lots of firepower and a fun way to do counter charge.  I mean who doesn't like doing the tactical equivalent of a "clothesline"?  It is also very redundant and floods the map with multiple threats, a good thing with the Guard.

1. How are you going to deploy it and what is the job of all the units?  That helps us critique.
2. You might not need all those run up and spray counter charge units. Just place your units within 12 of the front of the conscripts, then rapid fire at the now flat footed enemy when the conscripts break.

I would change up the vets a bit.  I would drop the fists, and get a LasCannon instead.  I think your army could use a little more anti tank as a mere 5 (if you switch out the MLs for LCs) BS 3 Las Cannons will not likely going to do enough damage to incoming heavy armor or transports.  2 more LCs and 6 more Plasma  at BS 4 will help out there.  Also, having 6 Plasma, 12 lasguns, and a LasCannon rapid fire come in at any would be assaulters will quickly ruin their day.  Just place them near the conscripts.  Also, they will not be sitting in the tanks wasting several turns doing nothing.

The other option is to strip them down to five men each and suicide deep strike them.  I would give them Plasma guns for that too, maybe even opt for a Plasma Pistol on the Sarge.  7 Plasma should threaten even the side armor of tanks, and the mass plasma lets them hunt MEQs in addition to tanks.

Keep their Chimeras, they make great anti infantry light tanks and help flood the map with armor.  Take them off the vets though, so the Vets can infiltrate/deepstrike if need be and put them on the Officers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:25:53 AM by Gornon »
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
list 2, this seems like a fairly good list, however:
1) although heavy bolters can perform surpsisgnly well against Terminators and other hard-to-kill MEQs, a plasma gun really doesnt compliment the heavy bolter, as although you will quite often need some ap2 killiness (is that ok or is GW gonna come find me?) it is more expensive, over heats risking your soldiers lives, and would be better used shooting at something else paired with a lascannon, IMO take a GL with the HB and you have, effectively, a 4 shot HB

2)Drop the missile launcher, its a half-arse weapon, this is where you should take your las-cannon and plasma gun, or another HB/GL set up for redundancy, always works well

3) you probably don't want to this but, drop one squad of hardened veterans, split the other up into 2 5-man squads with 3 meltas each and drop the chimeras for them and instead deep-strike them, although a suicide unit, this is a very efficient, quick anti-tank unit that has no risk of being killed before they destroy their intended target.

4)if you do end up doing the above point, swap out the lascannon sentinels for autocannon sentinels, transport-busting-horde-killing-non-priority-target-goodness.

hope i don't completely ruin your life with this.
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
Well, as for the Veterans, I'm tooling them up simply out of fluff and my love for them then out of any real tactical sense. I just want something to replace the Armored Fist squad and provide a well rounded strike force to plug up gaps in my defense. As for the power fists, that's more out of fun then anything else.

And for the missile launchers, I'm only using this because I"m too damn poor to find the extra 10 points and 4 points for the equipment and the moment, hense its name as "the poor man's lascannon." I don't want to drop the honorifica because I won't go less then Ld 9 for my conscripts.

Although, If I can find the extra points, I'll do it, just give me a bit of time. Besides, the missile launcher does look a bit kickass, but I'll see what I can do.

Oh, and Tank_Man, YOU RUINED MY LIFE I"LL CUT YOU!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:25:39 PM by *Nosferatu* »