News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!  (Read 102498 times)

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
Re: 2012 40KOnline UK Tournament!!!
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:07 AM »
Would it be possible to at least know which IA books will be being used by people? So at least players can find a copy to take a look at and be vaguely prepared.

Not quite sure how that would even remotely help you! hah! I could say that I'll use IA Vol3 but that could mean I'll be bringing an alternative turret for a hammerhead... or some kroot riders!? If I said I was using IA vol 9 then I could be bringing a SM special character for my army, or a Tyrant Guard army!?

As already mentioned, some people don't have experience against some things... say, witch hunters, but thats not to say that they should be told that someone will be using them just so that some book reading can be done!

In any case, one of the things that g00gle5 and I have been chatting about might help to sidestep some of these concerns...

Bah!  ::)
I just like to be prepared. It's frustrating to have an army which is balanced and fares well against the Codices, and then have a spanner thrown in because of some random unit that I've never seen (or sometimes heard of) before.
I don't think I even own any models that can count as AA.

With the Codices at least I've (and most others) have played against them all, or if not it's easy to check out the book as they're readily available to have a flick through in a local GW.

well i've been to 5 of these tournaments and i've only seen 2 flyers there, so i dont think there much cause for concern. unless one of us here deciedes to take an army of flyers just to wind up everyone who keeps going going on about lack off AA :P

popsical cherry picking to try and make as dirty an army as he can with a tau army!?!

Oi! S'not dirty!!!  :o

stop lying!

Maxing out his potential for sullied victories.

Oi!!!!! S'not sullied neither!  :o

yes it is popsical

Mutley, soon soon...

Those drop pods i presume? Very very sullied  ;)

no im not using any drop pods so poo to you with knobs on!
oink is a nancy!

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2012, 04:20:22 AM »
So, I know I've said I'm not going this year, but I think Lor has a point-

It's about what any given player can reasonably be expected to have knowledge of. That's why I think it is disanalogous to never having faced witch hunters. Those rules are available, pretty freely in stores, and some knowledge isn't outside of what you could expect. Yet, to keep up to date with all of the Forgeworld rules requires a much larger personal cost (if you buy the rulebook or in the opportunity cost of hunting them down) and it strikes me as a way to slow down games if people aren't at least superficially up to date on the rules.

I'd say that if you want to bring a unit from The Very Hungry Caterpillar you can be more than welcome, but tell everyone what it is or at least it's in there, so that if people can, they can look up the rules.

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »
As someone who has used flyers in this event before I'd say that there is a reason I tend NOT to bring them. Apart from the fact they tend to be pretty expensive for the force (and can only ever provide fire support) they suffer from the fact that anything can shoot them down!

Sitting out in view every single time pretty much any weapon has the potential drop them out of the sky. The fact that some armies find this more difficult (such as necrons or dark eldar) is offset by the fact that it is crazy scary to see imperial guard armies packed with hydras... and you take the risk of getting pwned utterly and having your day ruined!!

Add to this that they might not turn up until half way through the game and you can be pretty certain that the only army with a secure way of fielding flyers is probably actually the tau, eldar or guard (and these all involve ensuring your army also has a dedicated reserves bonus)

In any case, if it makes you feel any better lor, popsical is probably using a TX42 piranha with fusions (because it costs the same as a regular piranha with fusions but is way better), a XV9 Hazard suit, (because its sexy... probably with cascades), and at least two tetras (because they are mad laser pointers!)

Also, g00gle5, can we hold iain to using a unit from the very hungry catepillar!?

Finally, GW stores (and stores in general) are not libraries. You will only have knowledge of the different armies if you own all the books, or have borrowed them from a library! You are NOT expected to have knowledge of any opposing armies (and this is true of all tournaments). This is why you bring your own army rules to a tournament and not every single army book. That you have knowledge is an advantage to you, but is not a necessity and definately not expected.

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:05 AM »
@ Mutley having seen your preliminary list for this year, you are one to talk of sullied armies lol. Yours is not only sullied, its downright soiled!
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
@ Mutley having seen your preliminary list for this year, you are one to talk of sullied armies lol. Yours is not only sullied, its downright soiled!

I hear a challenge brewing.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2012, 09:05:17 AM »
...they suffer from the fact that anything can shoot them down!

Not if they have a stealth field :-)

I have only ever brought one flyer and that was for flavour not for gain.

This tourney is about fun and taking some different stuff. You don't have to take the latest dirt to win it. You can do pretty well with basic stuff. My 1k sons did well last year despite their so-called handicap.

It doesnt take much to look at a unit and decide whether it will upset folk, or cause sulliment. It's up to your own judgement, and that's how it should be. 

As for rules. You have every right to ask to see the rules for something you don't understand or have never seen, before the game. Then you adapt.  Part of the fun of this game is playing different stuff and adpating your tactics to fighting those things.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:58 AM »

no worse than your gay knights...

In any case, if it makes you feel any better lor, popsical is probably using a TX42 piranha with fusions (because it costs the same as a regular piranha with fusions but is way better), a XV9 Hazard suit, (because its sexy... probably with cascades), and at least two tetras (because they are mad laser pointers!)

i think the number of tetras you mentioned is a bit short lol

I hear a challenge brewing.

im guessing you missed the post where i challenged you for beating my bikes in my first of these tournaments....
oink is a nancy!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »
Any more than two and you're asking for trouble... moreso in a single unit of 4 (seeing as your other fast slots are filled). Still... this will be interesting to see...

also, Mutley, I assume that challenge was for popsical... sounds like he might still be shirking accepting it!

Offline popsical

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »
@mutley. History man thats history  :D

@oink. The challenge was for you. Ive seen mutleys list and frankly dont fancy my chances with tau of any flavour lol.

My list this year will be unusual and may or may not be much copp.
But it will be unique.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
Not certain I'll be playing this time around. Might have to remain free for organisational aid... I'll probably act as a filler if we end up with an odd number of participants unless g00gle5 wants to (he hasn't had the chance to participate in one of these for a few years now!)

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2012, 10:47:38 AM »
Any more than two and you're asking for trouble... moreso in a single unit of 4 (seeing as your other fast slots are filled).
also, Mutley, I assume that challenge was for popsical... sounds like he might still be shirking accepting it!

don't you remember beating me, you managed to get one of your tanks into my deployment zone and my commander couldn't hit the bloody thing!

@mutley. History man thats history  :D

no grudge is to small! :P

@oink. The challenge was for you. Ive seen mutleys list and frankly dont fancy my chances with tau of any flavour lol.

that not Necessarily the list i will be taking!

My list this year will be unusual and may or may not be much copp.
But it will be unique.

unique in its cheddary beardiness!

Not certain I'll be playing this time around.

*makes chicken noises*

I'll probably act as a filler if we end up with an odd number of participants unless g00gle5 wants to (he hasn't had the chance to participate in loose one of these for a few years now!)

i have corrected that statement for you ;)
oink is a nancy!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!

Tickets will go on sale TOMORROW being 18th April 2012.

you will be able to buy them directly from the triple helix wargames website.

Triple Helix Wargames

As soon as I get the direct page link I will post that too.

Edited with todays actual date on account of an inability to read calendars...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:08:12 AM by O:nk »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
This will be my first foray and I do hope this element of 'fun' is exemplified with sideline awards such as;

• Greatest Cheadary Beardy list
  • Most embassing single combat defeat
  • Insane herosism of a single model
  • IC most kills (the John Rambo award)
  • Assassins award, Most killed IC's
etc, etc, so on and so forth....

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
This will be my first foray and I do hope this element of 'fun' is exemplified with sideline awards such as;

it would be unfair to have a
award as popsical would win it hands down!
oink is a nancy!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »

I just wanted to use the term "Cheadary Beardy list" I like it 8)

Good news about the tickets! and good news that they do PayPal!!

Now, I need to find a place to stay and a lift......

Offline popsical

« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

@mutley
Ha! My win/loss ratio versus the three cheese amigos in the last 4 years does not bare out your accusation  :P

As for last year, your just peeved because i tabled you  :P :P :P

Offline 666_Mutley_666

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
im sure you using the min strike rules wrongly had nothing to do eith it at all! Lol
oink is a nancy!

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »
[quote author=O:nk link=topic=220387.msg2680773#msg2680773 date=1334651531

Also, g00gle5, can we hold iain to using a unit from the very hungry catepillar!?

What youdon't know is that I've had a sneak preview of the next IA book IA 12: Death in the Shrubbery. I'm going to get my ~confidential source~ at the GW studio fired for this but here's an exclusive look at one of the new units coming out for this summer.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline popsical

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »
im sure you using the min strike rules wrongly had nothing to do eith it at all! Lol

Oooh i sense a case of sour grapes  ;)
Yet again you must look elsewhere for fault there, as i asked mediators to explain the rules to us, as neither of us knew them.
We both accepted the omnipotent googles judgement.
I seem to remember his response to that as vengence for your cheese pods lol.

@ iainc, that would be the demon master of the infamous cabbage patch chapter of renegade marines! Feared for their deadly potions of boiled cabbage and sprout soup! The imperial citizens plagued by these devilish brews are charged never to sleep beneath bed sheets again  :(
Just ask mutley  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:12:27 PM by popsical »

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
Well you could use the VDR rules to make a profile for it :P
(searches through files) Aaah still have the digi copy of that :D

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!