News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lightning army  (Read 716 times)

Offline 1337 Steet

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Lightning army
« on: August 28, 2005, 04:56:23 AM »
Like you haven't seen the following about a hundred times already...alas, this is what I will be gunning for finished this holiday season.  I have a few questions I'd like answered, but I'll ask 'em after the list.  Oh, and the theme of my list is that everything that can have Scything Talons does and, as such, at least one set stays on everything.

Here we go...

Hive Fleet ____ 1500 pts

-HQ-
Hive Tyrant w/Adrenal Glands (WS), Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Winged, Scything Talons, Scything Talons
Cost: 159 points

-ELITES-
3 Tyranid Warriors w/Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, 2 Deathspitters, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
Cost: 139 points

3 Tyranid Warriors w/Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, 2 Deathspitters, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
Cost: 139 points

-TROOPS-
8 Hormagaunts w/Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS)
Cost: 96 points

-FAST ATTACK-
3 Tyranid Warriors w/Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Flesh Hooks, Winged, Rending Claws, Scything Talons
Cost: 135 points

1 Ravener w/Scything Talons & Rending Claws
Cost: 40 points

1 Ravener w/Scything Talons & Rending Claws
Cost: 40 points

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
Carnifex w/Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Reinforced Chitin, Mace Tail, Toxic Miasma, Tusked, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
Cost: 179 points

Carnifex w/Adrenal Glands (WS), Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Reinforced Chitin, Mace Tail, Toxic Miasma, Tusked, Scything Talons, Venom Cannon
Cost: 179 points

Total: 1490 points, 54 models, 74 Wounds
----
The two main things I'm wondering are 1) should I give my Hive Tyrant a 10 pt Hive Mind Power, or Flesh Hooks and Toxic Miasma?  That's where I plan on spending my last 10 points.  And 2) Should I remove all the Hormagaunts' Biomorphs in order to make room for more of them?

Thanks in advance,
leet steet
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:57:32 AM by 1337 Steet »

Offline HiveFleet Darwin

Re: Lightning army
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
well, you could use some streamlining.

drop ws from your tryant. miasma is better not that much stuff has ws 5+ i would also give him warp field

i would also drop the extra's on your elite warriors, the fleshooks/ws/I upgrades your better off trying to keep them out of assault so they can keep shooting.

i don't like broods of 8 gaunts. they have very little staying power. i would mush them together to make like 3 bigger groups like 12+

i also don't like flying warriors due to the carapace changes. you have an elite slot left. you could move them there and replace winged w/ leaping/carapace.  keeping in mind w/ wings yoiu don't get saves from regular bolters. you could replace the slot with another ravener

yours fex suffers from the same problems your shooty warriors do. they're confused. tail weapons suck since you don't get to use them until the end of the second assault phase he's in. and then anything your in btb for 2 turns with has either killed the fex. is are mindless tie up the fex units, in which case the scythe tail is better.  I would also remove the ws, hooks (spinebanks are better) miasma and tusked. i would aslo remove the talons for a strangler but you have already stated the scything talon theme.

with points shaved you could add another fex or some synapse/warpblast thropes. or maybe boosting your gaunt broods.
There is such a thing as too many attacks.
tyranids, 3000ish points W:many L:few T:1
Better living through forced evolution.
Chaos 2000ish pts

Offline Lazarus_15

• You will be devoured.
Re: Lightning army
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:36:47 PM »
I would either add wings to your tyrant and warp field, or give him Venom Cannon/Bone Sword/Lash whips and tyrant guard. 

Your warriors look fine, and although they are a multi-role unit, I would add rending claws so they can kill some hefty units, IF they get caught up.  I know you said you like Scything Talons, and that is fine.  But from game experience...Rendin g claws is the ticket imo (against things with armour/3+ save). 

You have 40 Hormagaunts, I would consolidate them into 1 squad of 14 and two squads of 13.  13 Hormagaunts on the charge have 39 attacks...do the math with those upgrades (which I think are great!). 

I would drop the 3 Fast attack warriors and add either more support warriors or more raveners.  Bolter fire can get NASTY on warriors without carapace...Heck, they can get nasty WITH carapace. 

Your carnifex's look good, I would definently drop the tail weapon...unless playing Orks or guard.  I would add either Carapce...If you can swing the points from things you might drop or I would add in Adrenals, so they strike before power fists.  Remember that your MC's can re-roll difficult terrain tests, so Just take use of cover and march them straight through. 
"How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair."  -Aun'shi of the Tau Empire