News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lorizael's 1750 40k Online Tourney List... questions by GBT.  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Lorizael's 1750 40k Online Tourney List... questions by GBT.
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:29 PM »
Reposted with Lorizael's blessing...

Nemesor Zahndrekh

Royal Court: 2x Necron Lord, Resurrection Orb

Triarch Stalker

Triarch Stalker

Triarch Stalker

10 Necron Immortals: Tesla carbines

10 Necron Immortals: Tesla carbines +Night Scythe

10 Necron Immortals: Tesla carbines +Night Scythe

Annihilation Barge: Gauss cannons

Total - 1745

Question 1: Do you take Zahndrekh because you'd normally take all the "survival" gear anyhow, and you're only paying 5 points for Adaptive / Counter tactics, or are you willing to pay a premium for his tactics rules, and take the survival gear as a bonus? Do you find his rules "game changing", "helpful", or "Meh..." ?

Question 2: How long do your fliers last? With the two mediocre armoured fliers, do you face enough Anti-flier to worry you, or do they tend to survive long enough, or 'till the end of the game?

Question 3: Do you take Gauss cannons on the AB's because you find they're more useful vs MEQ targets, and the bonus strength isn't that meaningful when you can still glance vehicles on 6's?

Question 4: I've looked at Triarch Stalkers before, and wasn't sure if they'd be "worth the points". Seeing as how you came in 3rd, I'm guessing that they are. ;) Do you think they'd be as successful in a list with less AV 13 units? Do you tend to spread their shots around, to twin link multiple units, or do you tend to focus on a target to ensure it's destruction? Are they good as "one of's" in a list, or do you need to use multiples to see their greatest effect?

Question 5: Are you able to usually avoid close combat in a game [with your Immortals, in particular] or is it something that you have to deal with on a regular basis?

Question 6: Do you use Zahndrekh as a tank for his Immortal squad, and LO,S! wounds that could potentially kill him?

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Lorizael's 1750 40k Online Tourney List... questions by GBT.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
Question 1: Do you take Zahndrekh because you'd normally take all the "survival" gear anyhow, and you're only paying 5 points for Adaptive / Counter tactics, or are you willing to pay a premium for his tactics rules, and take the survival gear as a bonus? Do you find his rules "game changing", "helpful", or "Meh..." ?

I take Zahndrekh for neither of these reasons- I have him because I like his background! I dislike playing 'evil' armies and the Necrons generally come across as 'neutral' really which is a bonus for me, but Zahndrekh is even better as he is an honourable general. I like his vibe and his eccentricities.
His background is also the reason for several unit choices- I restrict myself to not using 'dishonourable' or assassin type units- so no deathmarks, wraiths, destroyers etc. While Triarchs fit in well with this themes' ethos.
His abilities are helpful mostly and sometimes game changing.

Question 2: How long do your fliers last? With the two mediocre armoured fliers, do you face enough Anti-flier to worry you, or do they tend to survive long enough, or 'till the end of the game?

They tend to survive most of the game, if not to the end generally. Cunning use of scenery to give cover saves help plus giving the enemy other things to worry about. Really, if you look at it- an Annihilation barge can do more damage and is easier to kill, so the Nightsyches become a lesser threat. Also, it's never a bad thing to have them fly off the board sometimes- if you can't get any worthwhile shots in, just zoom off, stay safe for a turn and come back in a better position later.

Question 3: Do you take Gauss cannons on the AB's because you find they're more useful vs MEQ targets, and the bonus strength isn't that meaningful when you can still glance vehicles on 6's?

I take Gauss cannons on the Barges because while making my first one, I accidently assembled the wrong gun. I like my units to follow a certain symmetry so thought 'sod it' and built the rest like it too :D
They are useful though- having that odd shot at Ap3 is good for blasting marines. Mostly they're always snap shotting though as I'm moving aggressively towards my foe.

Question 4: I've looked at Triarch Stalkers before, and wasn't sure if they'd be "worth the points". Seeing as how you came in 3rd, I'm guessing that they are. ;) Do you think they'd be as successful in a list with less AV 13 units? Do you tend to spread their shots around, to twin link multiple units, or do you tend to focus on a target to ensure it's destruction? Are they good as "one of's" in a list, or do you need to use multiples to see their greatest effect?

They look cool. This is what makes them worth the points :D Seriously, they're big freaking insect things that clamber over terrain and blast stuff- so cool!
I will spread their shots around to make better use of the targetting ability generally. The focus fire comes from the Immortals as they blast up a targetted unit until it's dead and then move onto the next one. Having a 2nd unit targetted is useful for when you've disposed of the first threat.
Having them as a single one-off unit is fine as long as you have other armour for your enemy to shoot at. It's the same in any list- take a single nasty vehicle and watch it die in turn one.
Having lots of AV13 helps for sure.

Question 5: Are you able to usually avoid close combat in a game [with your Immortals, in particular] or is it something that you have to deal with on a regular basis?

I can play games where there is little combat definitely- overwatching tesla and heat rays are very nasty. I will often use the Stalkers as tar pits to save an Immortal squad from combat. If combat is definitely going to occur then Zahndrek giving furious charge or counter attack to a friendly unit is very useful, as is removing those abilities from an enemy.
Generally though, I can use the vehicles to screen my Immortals to stop them getting assaulted.

Question 6: Do you use Zahndrekh as a tank for his Immortal squad, and LO,S! wounds that could potentially kill him?

Not really- Zahndrekh is an exalted general and tactitican- any Immortal would be honoured to sacrifice it's life for him!
I try and play 'in character' and so don't use characters to tank enemy shooting- it doesn't seem realistic and is a naff way of playing imo.

I hope that helps- though I realise there's not a lot of tactics or strategy involved in my answers! :D

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Thank you for the answers!

Playing with things 'cause you like the models is great. It's why I have single units of most things in the Guard dex, I like the models, buy them then figure out how to make them work!

I had toyed with starting Necrons, then decided on Blood Angels post 6th edition. Zahnkrekh struck me as the most interesting of the HQ options, so I'm happy to see he plays well. My only "concern" with him in 5th edition was a lack of Warscythe, but it sounds like avoiding CC is fairly easy for him in 6th.

I was also looking at Triarchs, mostly as a "dedicated" AT unit in the Necron list, which they seem to have in limited options... efficiency anyhow. I also liked the buff it gave to everyone nearby if you turn on infantry or just as a boost for Gauss spam.

Is there anything else in the Elite slot that catches your eye?

As for Tanking, IG characters can't tank, so I wonder how other people do it or if they do, since I can't. ;) It seems like an ideal Hero to do it with, with all his survival gear. A cheesy use, but a well suited one I would think.

I'm guessing the AB's are pure no-brainer power, or are they also rule of cool?

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
No problemo!

Yeah, I like to balance cool fun things with efficient units when I can.

I've never found a lack of Warscythe to be an issue so far and I've been using Necrons for just over a year now. Actually using Staffs of Light on all my Lords tends to throw people- they expect scythes, and when I start blasting with 3 AP3 shots it can be surprising!

Yup, Triarchs are reliable AT- Gauss is nice, but you need a lot to be sure.

Um, as for other Elite choices... Flayed ones and Deathmarks are out as 'dishonourable' choices. I'm really not interested in the C'tan- it's not a Necron and I can't see Zahndrekh being so foolish as to unleash a shard.
Lychguard are nice but too expensive I feel- same cost as Terminators but not as good. I think I could use them to good effect as a counter-charge unit, but I'd rather have 2 barges for 20 points less... :D
Triach Praetorians are really sweet looking models and fit my theme & ideas, but again, too expensive for what they add to the army. I'd love to use them if they got an extra attack and a 12" range weapon.
Incidentaly I do have a unit of 5 tesla-toting, shield-vaned Tomb Blades that I've used on occasion. Quite fun but not as survivable as a Stalker.

For sure, Necron characters are made for tanking shots and I've seen many people do it. I just don't like it. I can see Ghazkull doing it as he's completely self-assured in his divine-gifted ability to survive anything- he's be at the front of the charge into combat and taking & shrugging off enemy fire. Same with Lysander or other similarly equipped SM characters- blessed by the Emperor and first into battle!
Tau, Eldar, Necrons- it just doesn't sit right with me.

I first bought an Annihilation Barge because it meant I had a plastic Lord model. I wanted two Lords so I bough two barges. And then for the sake of making the army match up, I bought a 3rd. But yes, they are pretty devastating and great for bringing down flyers.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
HA! While I was crunching the idea of starting Necrons I was also going to get an AB or two for the included Lord Models!

I was more interested in getting a couple of Battleforces, building a bunch of warriors, scarabs and converting some flayed ones as my core. Have you ever tried Warriors on foot, with a Warrior Ark supporting them? That's something I was very interested in trying. Lord with Orb, to help ensure guys stand up, and then the Ark to rebuild anyone that failed.

I liked the Lychguard models, and would have used Lychguard with Warscythes as my "Lesser Lords".

Now I want to do Necrons again. Must be strong; have already primed some Blood Angels. :'(
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:12:10 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
That is one funky list Lorizael.

I commend you for taking such a fun style list. I will be honest... I don't think I could do it. Especially in some of our 2 day, harder core style tournies.  Don't get me wrong, I do take fun units... a lot, but three Triarchs is a lot of points tied into... 3 Triarchs!

I am curious if you played Tau or Imperial Guard with your army during the tournament? I would find such a list to have an uphill battle with that.

I do have this crazy Nemesor moment I'll never forget.... I was on a Nemesor kick and had him as my HQ for months, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with him in this one game VS. Nids. During the height of the battle, the Nid player drops in a Doom O' Malatai.... and I'm panicking from all the potential losses. As a knee jerk reaction I make a huge tactical error and rush the Doom with Scarabs! Really stupid on my part.

So I get Nemesor to give the Scarabs 'Hit and Run'. Then I realize the way hit and run works in 6th edition... this is not looking good. But I thought if anyone could pull this off, it would be me. I rolled a 1!!! Successfully retreated and watched Pyrrihan Etnernals blow it away.

BTW I used to play my Anni barges the same way for a chance at a vehicle glance.

Anyway, great showing with that list. Nem is a lot of fun.