News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119450 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Life...Is...Rising!!!)
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »
Oh so cool! I'm so glad to see them all assembled. Now the grueling part, haha, I mean fun part. Will be waiting, trying to paint too, on your progress.

BTW, sad your selling them but understand, I've done the same thing for the same reason but replacing them, great. I've had 3 dark elf armies and now working on the 4th. I've had 4 sisters of battle armies and will be getting a 5th. Don't even get me started on orcs, vampire counts and the many others. But now I've slowed down, it's a good thing but then the new stuff comes out and its, EEEKK! Bug eyed and figuring out what to rid of to afford the new. Great addiction tho!

Thanks Dread! I think after the first few attempts to start up armies that caught my fancy, I now know that I'm not interested in every new thing that comes out there. There are still a few armies outside of aelves that I'd like to take up sometime, but right now I have enough to keep my occupied and satisfied. I was a bit saddened to sell off my stormcast, goblins, and the little slaanesh that I had, but having the armies that I've always wanted makes me much happier, haha!

Got nothing more to sell off for new stuff anymore though :P. Right now I'm just waiting for the new General's Handbook, Sylvaneth Battletome and related items, and a few of the contrast paints.

I actually was very excited to paint sylvaneth with the contrast paints, but after some thought... I really want to give it some extra attention rather than settle for battle ready.

I've decided on the Heartwood Glade for my color scheme. Cannot wait to finally get the rest of my stuff in and start painting!

EDIT: Actually, still haven't decided on my paint scheme yet... I want to do something different than the GW Schemes. I'll have to look at the paints I have and see what works. Also need to see more of these contrast paints before I decide to use them or not. Want to see the more advanced techniques they can be used for.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:44:18 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
There are still a few armies outside of aelves that I'd like to take up sometime

HERESY!! ;)

Its good to let a favourite army to take ROOT, you will have plenty of time to BRANCH out anyway. It will stop you going BARKing mad from having paint yet another pointy ear... /dad_jokes

From what I've seen so far the contrast paints are to let you do the base colour and wash all in one go as a one thick coat. It will be interesting to see if anyone finds another use for them though. I'll be interested to see how they work with big transistions, like on a long cloak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Well, more information about the contrast paints has come up form Games Workshop. I believe I am now more interested in ever. When these go on preorder, I'll be investing in them!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2019, 11:31:56 PM »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #244 on: May 24, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, Mage, I appreciate it!

Another question: So, I already have some Akhelians that are primed and base coated. Would it be an issue to spray another coat of primer over them?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #245 on: May 24, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
The two primers should stick just fine. You'll just have an extra layer of paint, so keep it as thin as you can. 

I'm assuming you want to put on a light primer. One trick I've seen with speed painters, is to spray a dark primer, then a second light primer from above, so most of the shading is done.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:07:40 PM by magenb »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #246 on: May 24, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
Hi Mage,

Well the thing is that the new contrast paints require these two new spray primers, which can as also be touched up with their base variants. It's in the new warhammer community article about contrast paints.

Now that I think about it, the new Contrast Primer is also coming in base paint variants... Don't need to prime them again, just need to add another layer of paint I think!

EDIT:

So, a good friend of mine here in Nashville texted me some cool stuff that he's working on. I think it's really cool what he achieved, and asked him if I could share it here on the blog.

Here is my friend Horacio's Daughters of Khaine WIP!

EDIT #2:

So, here is what's on my table at the moment!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:52:42 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2019, 07:31:48 PM »
Well the thing is that the new contrast paints require these two new spray primers, which can as also be touched up with their base variants. It's in the new warhammer community article about contrast paints.

The new contrast primers are simply light colours, as the contrast paints are translucent. You can just put a light paint over them instead of the primer, so yeah give that airbrush a work out :)

The shark is looking great mate, the skin is looking very smooth.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks for the compliment, Mage! I actually gave the Citadel Air paints a try with a brush. I see now that they really are meant for airbrushes. You can get some of the colors to work with a brush, but you have to apply in really thin layers. I guess that's something I should be practicing anyway, so I went ahead and applied several thin coats over the course of painting.

Seems like it worked ;D.

Post Merge: May 27, 2019, 06:51:00 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:51:01 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (None are safe when there's blood in the water!)
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
I actually gave the Citadel Air paints a try with a brush.

I have not tried the Citadel Air paints, but the Vallejo Air White is fantastic for doing thin white lines with a brush. You can also use the metallic air colours like a wash on metals, especially if you want more of a matte finish rather than a glossy oil.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Allopex #2 Finished!!!)
« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2019, 08:27:35 PM »
Im, well, I'm speechless. The colors, the overall texture, just wow! You just get better and better. Great job.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
I actually gave the Citadel Air paints a try with a brush.

I have not tried the Citadel Air paints, but the Vallejo Air White is fantastic for doing thin white lines with a brush. You can also use the metallic air colours like a wash on metals, especially if you want more of a matte finish rather than a glossy oil.

Great to know, Mage! I remember giving the Vallejo Air range a try several years ago, but I never really got back into it since then. How do you find the Vallejo Air compared to the Vallejo Game Air range? And that's a question for anyone who would like to answer :). Do you think I should look into those ranges at all?

Im, well, I'm speechless. The colors, the overall texture, just wow! You just get better and better. Great job.

Thanks, Dread! Glad you think I'm improving! I'm super stoked about how this one came out lol. Glad that you like it. ;D

EDIT:

So, here's my current Sylvaneth force:

So, what's crossed off of my list?

20 Tree Revenants
12 Dryads
1 Treelord Ancient
2 Arch Revenants
1 Branchwych
6 Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes

What's on the build next list?

1 Treelord Ancient
1 Treelord
1 Branchwych
20 Dryads
And that's it until the Battletome drops!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:54:40 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2019, 03:36:44 AM »
That Allopex is drop dead gorgeous Myen'Tal. I really like the colour scheme and your brush work has improved a lot as well, leading to a really clean finish.

Lovely mate, I really like how your Idoneth are shaping up.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
That Allopex is drop dead gorgeous Myen'Tal. I really like the colour scheme and your brush work has improved a lot as well, leading to a really clean finish.

Lovely mate, I really like how your Idoneth are shaping up.

Thanks, Loosh! That means a lot to me ;D! I'm glad everyone thinks I'm getting better! I'll probably be taking a break until the contrast paints come out. I think I'll be putting the Deepkin on hold for the moment and paint some Sylvaneth when the contrast is available.

We'll see.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »

Great to know, Mage! I remember giving the Vallejo Air range a try several years ago, but I never really got back into it since then. How do you find the Vallejo Air compared to the Vallejo Game Air range? And that's a question for anyone who would like to answer :). Do you think I should look into those ranges at all?

I was going off memory for the name of the paint range, I've only tried Vallejo Model Air range and not that many colours. Most of my Vallejo paints are from their model series rather than their game series, but I don't see much difference between them.

What I have noticed is that Vallejo paint colours separate far more often than citadel's (normal paint not the Air paints). Just means they need more shaking before use. There is a colour conversion chart, but to be honest its hit and miss, for example, "Cavalry Brown" in model colour is meant to be close to "Wazdakka Red" in GW, but it is actually very close to "Martian Ironearth", which is no where near Wazdakka. I now take the empty GW pot with me to double check.

The Allopex looks awesome. I really like the Elve's skin tone and the colour for the frame the gunner is standing on is brilliant.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
Thanks, Mage, I appreciate the feedback and the compliment! It looks like everyone loved the shark, which I'm really stoked about! 

I'll probably be taking a break until Contrast comes out. That's for painting though. Will remain assembling what I have. Which is like two Melusai boxes and 4 more Dryads.

The Start Collecting Box I received in a trade has not shown up yet. My good friend who bought the box will wait one more day before calling Ebay about it.

So that is unfortunately on hold. I guess in the meantime I'll get more hobby supplies... brushes, brush cleaner, etc... my most used brushes are about shot lol.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #256 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »
my most used brushes are about shot lol.

Keep hold of those used brushes, they come in handy for basing, dry brushing, etc.

I'll probably be taking a break until Contrast comes out. That's for painting though

;)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2019, 05:09:45 PM »
Well you got me there :P ;)!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
Mwahahaha! That's great. Old brushes are great for sure. I've got many that go thru it all from painting, dry brush, putting glue on bases to being a paint stir. Everything in between if I missed anything. Hahaha! Finished my laugh, no black bases.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Archers, to the King!!)
« Reply #259 on: June 2, 2019, 12:47:08 PM »
More stuff on the assembly table!

« Last Edit: June 2, 2019, 10:12:42 PM by Myen'Tal »