News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Balanced Nid List for Consideration Updated 10/31  (Read 461 times)

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Necrontyr Immortal | Ripper
  • Needs more Desu
2k Balanced Nid List for Consideration Updated 10/31
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:50:19 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to look over my list.  I am attempting to create a balanced list that is prepared for all comers.  I have yet to purchase the models, so everything is subject to change.  This is my first attempt at a list, so please forgive me for minor mistakes

Edit: Made the Fex's Legal.  Choose implant attack.  I realize this is unusual, but I think it could be quite valuable vs ID immune foes.  Also, VC Fex's got devourers to back them up.  I am still pretty impressed by VC because of the strength of it.  Str 10 is certainly handy in the days of TWC

Edit 2: Swapped out the Tyrant with VC for warriors.  They will be far more sturdy, and should be just as killy.  And could potentially tarpit like crazy.  Also reduced down to 1 WON guant and split large spine guants into 2 broods

2000pts
HQ
Hive Tyrant 214pts
+1 WS / Bio-plasma / Flesh Hooks / Bonesword and Lash Whip / Scything Talons / Psychic Scream
2x Tyrant Guards

Warrior Brood 180pts
1x Warrior
+1 BS / +1 Str / Lash Whip / Venom Cannon
4x Warrior
+1 BS / +1 Str / Lash Whip / Death Spitter

Elites
Warrior Brood 296pts
8x Warriors
Leaping / Flesh Hooks / +1 Str / Rending Claws / Scything Talons

2x Carnifex 113pts
Scything Talons / Scything Talons / Implant Attack / +1 WS

Troops
Guants 64pts
8x Guants
Spinefist / With out Number

2x Guants 75pts
15x Guants
Spinefist

2x Hormagaunts 200pts
20x Hormaguants

Heavy Support
Zoanthropes 195pts
3x Zoanthropes
Psychic Scream / Warp Blast

2x Carnifex 138pts
+1 BS / Twin Linked Devourer / Venom Cannon

Total 1999pts

Comments:  I know my Kill points are outrageous but I don't care much about them.  The army is basically two halves, one handling shooting being the tyrant + 2x VC fex.  The other half is a horde charging forward.  The thropes travel with the melee tyrant in the center of the guant swarm.  Warriors lead another small swarm of WON guants and 1 hormaguant squad to give them cover.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:55:42 AM by nerzuhl »

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
Re: 2k Balanced Nid List for Consideration
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »
For your first Hive Tyrant, I highly suggest replacing those rending claws with another pair of Scything Talons. Being an MC, Tyrants have no reason to carry them. For the second one, I personally would pick a role and stick to it, whether it be combat or shooty, though I can see it for a Tank Stunner, as it is outrageos in terms of points to twin link the Cannon.

No problem with your Elites.

Nothing bad about your Troops.

For your Zoans, if you want to take advantage of Psy Scream, make sure to keep them close, perferably with your Tyrant, to create a Zone of Leadership tests that your opponent has to face or go around.

For your last two Carnifexes, I mirror the comments on your Tyrant in that I can see why for Tank Stunners, but in general, you don't want to be mixing roles all that much, though I find this outfit of weapons to be an exception.

Overall, I like this list, nothing big I would change in it.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Needs more Desu
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
Doesn't rending on the tyrant make him a viable threat to LR's?  They are cheap and give me an answer to Vulkan and LR spam.  But I can see how this becomes overly specialized.

In regards to the VC tyrant and carnifex's.  I figured I would go cheap on them, and use them for stunning as you suggest.  But I didn't want to throw away points on RClaws, and the extra attack makes them viable in melee.

Yeah, the Thropes and Scream tyrant where going to be the center to the army.  Doing what I believe is the Psychic Choir thing lol

Thanks for the comments, and I am re-evaluating the list.  Overall you could say I was going for quantity of units over quality.

Offline Frowny

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »
You can already pen LR's with a tyrant. as a MC, he gets 2d6 when rolling vs vehicles. He therefore needs an 8 on 2 dice to glance. Also, if one of the dice is a 6 to trigger rending, he already has a 2/3rds chance of penning with the other, so the number of times it will actually help is quite limited.

I might look into wings on the 2nd tyrant. I've also never found tyrant based venom cannons that effective. At only str 8 coupled with the huge problems with only glancing, I find it always adds up to them doing nothing for me... To each their own, though.

I might consider some barbed stranglers for the fexes. They are great at providing pinning tests, especially with a choir.

I think when ppl make elite CC fexes, usually the use toxic miasma instead of the syth tail for the 3+ to hit. 4 attacks hitting on 3+ =2 2/3rd hits while 5 attacks hitting on a 4+=2.5 hits. Even when the tail is active it is still worse then the miasma.

I like your list. It looks a lot like what I would design. A great mix of everything fluffy and tyranid and well put together to boot. .

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Needs more Desu
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »
I see your point about the CC tyrant.  I will put him back into the machine and see what comes out ^_^

Edit:  I dropped 2 spineguants to give the tyrant sword and whip.  This should be doubly helpful

The 2nd tyrant has a dual purpose.  He baby sits the Fex's with VC and can lend synapse to WON guants who are returning.  This was as cheap as I could make him, and still have him be effective sitting in the back of the board.

I see your point about the miasma, but Blender Fex's or Blade Fex's just seem to appeal to me lol.  Also, I was hoping the Tail would help with cc tar pit units.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:46:49 AM by nerzuhl »

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 2k Balanced Nid List for Consideration Updated 10/29
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »
Your elite carnifex is inlegal - he must not cost more then 114 so Max pts value for elite carnifex is 114 pts.

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
Correct, if worded slightly oddly. xD

"...any Carnifex with a total cost of less than 115 points..'.  Unfortunately, 115 points is not less than itself, leaving 114 as the maximum for their points alotement.

Offline eurynomos

• OMFG ZERG RUSH1!!1!1111ONE1
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:56:35 PM »
yeah.  tail weapons haven't seemed to be worth their points these days anyways based on awkward rules wording.  something our current codex is fraught with; no wonder they're replacing it

if you still want to get extra attacks, bioplasma is a popular choice for elite fex.  also handy against skimmers.  or people take miasma for extra actually-hitting power

you want to go for an takeing-all-comers kind of list.  well, you're headed in a good direction, but coming at it the wrong way.  it's not a matter of making individual models and broods capable of taking all comers, it's about the army as a whole taking all comers.  and the best way that nids can complement each other is actually through complimentary creature specialization.  what I mean is taking your units and focusing on one thing for them to do well.  basic example: shooty or CC.  also tank hunter or character hunter.  good at killing swarms or smaller tough elite units.  etc.  then you get some of everything, put it together into an army, and direct your killers to their killy targets

but all of this has to eventually come down to crunching the numbers.  so you're gonna have to make some sacrifices for points.  which is why while normally scytals with a venom cannon is splitting the unit's focus with both CC and shooty, it's a cheap fix to basically get the VC.  so it works, and I like it.  in so far as it helps you take VC

aside from that, personally, I would go more with stranglers on the fex.  VC are too expensive for a weapon that can only ever penetrate anything not built by orks (and other rare enough exceptions).  anyways, stranglers compliment your army more nicely.  they've still got the range, a decent strength if you feel like pointing them at tanks, but they're also great against swarms, have a high S for instant killing things, and cause pinning.  the latter takes good use of psychic scream.  oh, and they're cheaper.  with the spare points, you could even get +W on each carnifex.  added bonus, scytal plus strangler equipped fex fits into an elite slot

personal preference

however, one thing that you should definitely take to heart is if a tyrant doesn't have wings, then it has at least one tyrant guard.  lone walking tyrants are just waiting to die.  even a single guard is worth its points in durability, and wings make for excellent maneuverability.  I myself would probably not take a CC tyrant without wings, as I'm impatient.  I'd probably just go ahead and switch the weapons of the tyrants and give the lone one wings.  and then scytals instead of bonesword/lash whip.  tyrants like that make for excellent tank hunters.  or even the sheer intimidation factor might herd the enemy into your CC fex walking up the other flank
-=good luck, have fun, don't die=-

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Needs more Desu
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:56:34 AM »
Thanks for the great input.

The melee Tyrant does have 2 guards with him.  The lone VC tyrant will be on the long side of the board, so I should be able to attain some cover.

I am considering what you said about specialization, and I am gonna throw it all back into the blender and see what I can come up with again ^_^