News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Reccomend me an airbrush? [also - sprayguns!]  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Raven

Reccomend me an airbrush? [also - sprayguns!]
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »
I've been using a cheap spraygun for quite some time, and was a little fed up of it clogging, spluttering and being a pain.

"luckily" someone borrowed and broke it last week, so I finally have motivation to fork out for something a little better.

I'm looking to upgrade to an airbrush, but dont want to fork out too much cash.

I will probably mostly just be using it to put down base colours, as I much prefer doing my detailing by hand.

I'd love to hear reccomendations from people who've used these things regularly (I'm looking heavily towards a comment by gareth or skeeve, since I've seen some fabulous bits of work that theyve identified as being airbrushed in the past.)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:48:41 PM by Raven »

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Reccomend me an airbrush?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
can't recommend one, for I don't own any, but here is an advise. About 3-6 month ago 0n coolminiornot.com forum a certain poster had a megathread about his selection, acquisition and initial learning process. He was very meticulous and many people provided various input during this whole process. I suggest you visit and search their forum. Besides these threads there were several others with extensive reviews and advises. If you have an account on Coolminiornot, I can suggest several people whom you could PM directly.

PS: Found them

Start: Pre-purchase exploration
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?32285-Airbrush-basics-in-the-UK&highlight=bought+airbrush

I bought an airbrush - phase 2 begins
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?32414-I-bought-an-airbrush-phase-2-begins&highlight=bought+airbrush

So I bought an airbrush - Phase 3 \'I tried it on a mini\'
http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?32741-So-I-bought-an-airbrush-Phase-3-\-I-tried-it-on-a-mini\&highlight=bought+airbrush

So I bought an airbrush - phase 4 - FINISHED!  http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?33459-So-I-bought-an-airbrush-phase-4-FINISHED!&highlight=bought+airbrush           
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:03:17 PM by Skeeve »

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 06:00:29 PM »
Thankyou mr. Skeeve. I shall go read.

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

• FLAMER: I flame therefore I am banned.
  • "Quantity haz a qwality all'ts own"-Warboss Stalin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:18:31 AM »
Eclipse makes good ones. What needs to be emphesized is that you need to learn with a good airbrush from teh get-go. If yous tart with junk, you need to retrain if you buy a better model. Here's a good package:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-complete-airbrush-system/

Listen well:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh5Hb1hq07M&playnext_from=TL&videos=1ax7j_gKkJ8#ws

Also here's a good series about Blending models with airbrushes: Colour Modulation Part 1: Airbrushing Basecoats
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:32:53 AM by Boss_Grabnutz »
"Don't Post Dat!  Spam kills!"

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline Raven

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 04:54:13 AM »
I own a compressor which is better than the smart-jet,  however it is REALLY F***ING NOISY...

A lot of people have commented on the smart-jet saying its pressure falls off quite quickly during use, causing you to have to work in short bursts. I'm pondering on getting something meatier, but I might just wait and keep using the noise factory that I currently own.

I wonder, since a few people are coming forward as founts of knowledge. How might I work out where to find replacement needles? (I am informed by the inter-webs that I should have at least one on hand).

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:07 AM »
Airbrushing Air Compressors 101- for airbrush

Air compressor vid...maybe this will help.

If you traveled at the speed of light, there would be no darkness, and thus no need to turn your headlights on in the first place.  I swear, were you asleep in Physics Class?

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
The smart jet will level out to about 30ish psi to the eclipse.  Which is too low for the eclipse, which is designed to be used at a highter psi than most other airbrushes (but still capable of really high detail).

It's actually made by Iwata, and I HIGHLY recomment it.  It's one of my main "goto" brushes in my lineup.  I run it between 35 and 40 psi.  A lot of people will tell you to use super watery paint at low pressure, which is great sometimes.  But at 40 psi I can pull a line with my eclipse (bottom feed or top feed) that is around .5mm wide.  I'd say mix gw paint around 2 parts paint one part water and try it at that pressure, mabey 1:1.  They make many other good models too.  The Highline series are awesome.

Most retailers can get spare parts for brushes they sell.  Coast airbrush is a great online retailer, dixieart is good too, along with chicagoairbrushsupp ly.com.

I finally got rid of the smart jet and got a tidy 1 hosepower compressor that I just stick in the closet.  I work in the same room as it, for about an hour a night painting and it's totally workable.  Hardware store compressors like that are much more power for the money, so I say just stick with the one you have.  Make sure you have a filter for it though.

Offline Boss_Bannednutz

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »
How noisey is that 1 HP?

Offline Raven

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:22:33 AM »
I went with an eclipse model (the one with a gravity feed, I forget the letter code on it).

I also picked up a powerjet compressor, which looks to hold a better psi. I sadly had to get the light version with no tank, as I just couldnt afford the extra £90 required for that. :(

Offline Gareth

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
RDG Tools is your friend. They buy straight from the same taiwanese factories as iwata. I have a £40 rdg tools airbrush which is identical to iwata's £160-£200 airbrush.

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/AIRBRUSH_KITS_AND_SPARES.html

Offline Raven

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »
I am deeply sad that you didnt mention this 24 hours ago :(

If I can get my order canceled for the brandnamed items, which of the compressors do you use?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:14:40 PM by Raven »

Offline JaPizzy

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
The 1HP compressor is just a little louder than my vacume cleaner.

No taiwanese or chinese copies are ever as good as the iwata versions, I know this from experience.  I have bought several to try and they all are collecting dust right now.  Their needles have much more in the way of machine marks, their trigger action isn't anywhere near as smooth, and their nozzels aren't made of the same alloy.  This leads to much clogging and tipdry.

For a hobbiest they might work okay for basecoating, and many do use them well, but it is a little inaccurate to say they are the exact same.

Iwata also doesn't produce airbrushes in china or taiwan, as far as I know.  I'm not an iwata fanboy or anything as I have german airbrushes, and badgers, and a paasche, so I'm not speaking out of a bias or anything.  I actually think my new harder and steenbeck airbrush is one of my favorites right now, and it's not an iwata.

I wouldn't change your order.  You'll be happy, and the lite version will work every bit as good as the tank version, and it won't pulse air because it's an actual piston compressor motor.  It will just run while you're using it but it will shut off as soon as you stop the flow of air.

Cheers

Offline Raven

Re: Reccomend me an airbrush? [also - sprayguns!]
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
I edited the title since mods just shut down a spraygun thread and pointed to here :)

In aid of the guy who asked (I'm too lazy to go back and check your name, sorry), Badger make a great spraygun for about £10, which is pretty much the same deal as the gamesworshop "flamer".

Their slightly more delux ones are better still.

While I often defend GWs products, the spraygun is frankly a pile of crap.

Getting a cheapish compressor isnt a terrible plan either, as canned air runs out MUCH too fast, and will soon catch up with the cost of one.

While I'm not versed in airbrushes yet, I know lots about the good old "carpet bomb" of painting - the spraygun :D