News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt CC Swarm  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Vallhemn

• All warfare is based on deception.
1000 pt CC Swarm
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »
Hey guys I was wondering what everyone thought to my army list at present. I much prefer CC for nids than guns, and its a dam sight cheaper at times too ( For me anyway). The current list needs tweaking a lil I think as its a bit of a hit and miss tactic at the moment:

HQ:

Prime with scything talons x 2 --- 80pts

Elites:

Lictor ---- 65 pts

Deathleaper ----- 140 pts

Troops:

Hormagaunts x 29 ---- 174 pts

Warriors with rending claws x 5 -- 150 pts

Warriors with rending claws x 5 -- 150 pts

Genestealers x 5 -- 70 pts

Heavy Support:

Mawloc --- 170pts

Total - 999 pts.

Usually this works rather well for me against most things, as the lictors arrive behind enemy lines to disrupt the infantry and what not, and using the pheromone ability I can deep strike the Mawloc within 6" of one of them without scattering, so it helps to form a pincer movement with the main force trudging along the front lines, the 1st squad of warriors soaking up the fire while the hormis plough up the middle.

The only problem I have found with this list at present is fighting fast transports that can hop around the map. Any ideas?
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: 1000 pt CC Swarm
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:20:39 AM »
Fast transports have a tendency to be lightly armoured, and because they are fast they can easily hop behind cover and so on. This suggests that Hive Guard, as a powerful, relatively cheap and highly durable source of ranged anti-tank, would be your best bet
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »
I didnt think of doing that... O.o I'll have to amend the list. 48" and no LOS needed if I remember correctly, which would be perfect :D Thanks a lot.
Any ideas on the lictor tactics? They seem to work pretty well, but I dunno if I should just remove the stealers and replace the deathleaper with a lictor instead, to fit 2 guards in..
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.

Offline DinoCop

• SPAMMER: forum blabbermouth
  • Bust a deal, face the wheel.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
I´m prepering my 1250pts army with 3 Lictors, Deathleaper, 8Ymgarls, 2x8 genestealers (toxin sacs) and 4 raveners only with rending. +something...

I ain´t play with raveners yet. but their ability to charge 19-24" is pretty attractive to me ;)
6" move (MTCover), Fleet, charge on 12"... 4+1(charging)attacks with rending... there is no light transport witch can stand against that.

+So I will distract with Lictors and Deathleaper (remember!!! they can appear out of nowhere right behind 10-rear-armored vehicles and take them down with Fleshhooks) and place them in cover if I want them to stay to their next round.
+Ymgral will eat anything poping out from wherever enemy´s hiding.
+1. genestelars Infiltrating 12" from enemy(if not seen) or in worst (still very very good) 18" in open (of course in cover)
+2. genestealers Outflanking...

I was thinking about Mawloc too, but I´m not keen on Mishab table... and If terrain gets little bit over barricaded there is no save way he could pop up safely:(((
Banned

Offline Impyrocker

• Ripper
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:38:36 AM »
On the OP list... get some boneswords on that prime! You have very little that ignores armor elsewhere(except rending, which is unreliable at best) and he would be invaluable against any marine variant. I would suggest dropping hormies, but you could drop something else if you wanted.

Offline DinoCop

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »
I just found out something very bothering.

When Mawloc appears in Rock (impasible terrain) and you roll 3-4 on Mishap table.... Your enemy can put him everywhere on the board... even on your own troops, I guess...  :-\ Pretty sucky.
Banned

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:47 AM »
In  response to the boneswords:

I would put boneswords on my prime if I could ( points wise) so I'll have a look into that as I know that my Anti Armour problem is a really big hole in my list.

In response to the fact that the Mawloc could scatter into terrain:

In actual fact the Mawloc cant be destroyed via terrain problems as I use my lictors as homing beacons for it ( can deep strike within 6" of a lictor unit without scattering) and this means that dropping onto an unsuspecting tank is perfect, as the Mawloc cannot be killed via striking within 1" of enemy models. instead it hits every unit with a S 6 AP 2 larst blast. :D So its perfect for cutting holes in a static defense, and with the deathleaper being able to redeploy, used correctly it means I could basically continually burrow with the Mawloc every turn, only to re emerge with a S6 AP2 hit.

Offline DinoCop

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
Vallhemn... live in your dreamworld...

You can only use Lictors "navigation system" (pheromon trail) with good rolls on reserves in 3th round...
So it means you will have to stay in Open with Mawloc for 2 rounds doing nothing. Or Burrow in First and appear in second with scatter. With very good luck and your enemy being stupid, you can manage to pop up 3 times in every second round (2sd,4th,6th).

The easiest counter to prevent Mawloc doing this is to get him in CC. With his I4 it will be pretty close for him to (Hit and) Run from CC.

In actual fact the Mawloc cant be destroyed via terrain problems as I use my lictors as homing beacons for it ( can deep strike within 6" of a lictor unit without scattering) and this means that dropping onto an unsuspecting tank is perfect, as the Mawloc cannot be killed via striking within 1" of enemy models. instead it hits every unit with a S 6 AP 2 larst blast. :D So its perfect for cutting holes in a static defense, and with the deathleaper being able to redeploy, used correctly it means I could basically continually burrow with the Mawloc every turn, only to re emerge with a S6 AP2 hit.

and please... don´t behave like you find out the burrow thing with Mawloc using Lictors...

Knowing your weaknesses is more valuable... Because you can avoid situations that could be fatal.
Banned

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:35:15 AM »
I thought reserves started coming in in the 2nd round on 5+?
Unless im reading you wrong. and also doesnt the pheromone trail count every turn? so as long as the lictor is alive on the turn after the Mawloc burrowed, I could just deep strike it using the trail?
If ive got my idea right and not confused myself, its hit and miss, which is the sorta problem with this list atm, but if the lictor hits in on the 2nd turn in, then I could deep strike using the above plan couldnt i?
Ive not used lictors much in this way, so im probably wrong, but let me know :)

I know the Mawloc could end up scattering if the lictors are killed though :/

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
ah wait,... yeah...  :-\ I re read my post a coupla times and saw the hole. The deathleaper has to be re rolled every turn if i use that technique of hopping him in and out, so its even more risky than I originally thought....

Do you think I should swap the Mawloc out for something else? I dunno whether its worth having him now. :(

Offline DinoCop

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 01:04:33 PM »
Got damnit :) I wanna try Mawloc myself, but with you hesitating :) I´m kinda confused... I think Mishab table applies only when you hit barricades (no terein, but obsticles) or Impasible terrain. If you appear on difficult terrain, or on it´s part, you will have to roll D6 for dangerous terrain only, I guess.

rounds of Mawloc use:
 1) Burrow
 2) Terror from the deep (with Scatter) Lictor comes.
 3) If possible or alive Burrow, Lictor comes (in case he won´t in 2nd)
 4) Terror from the deep next to Lictor (if he´s still alive) (No Scatter)
 5) If possible or alive Burrow.
 6) Terror from the deep next to Lictor (if he´s still alive) (No Scatter)
Banned

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 03:02:44 PM »
Right. So its risky, but if I tweak everything else, such as adding Hive Guards and such to counter armour, stick some boneswords on my prime and maybe swap the Stealers out ( they died right away last time I played. Enemy freaked when he saw them) and put in a new group of warriors, maybe raise the cap to 6 on each squad, and drop the Hormagaunts to about 10 just for another capture point...

Oh, and add another lictor ;) I love those lil things :P

Offline DinoCop

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Oh, and add another lictor ;) I love those lil things :P

Lictors usually do work only with 2-3 models. 1=suicide.
Banned

Offline Vallhemn

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
Yeah i found out the hard way :(

I used both the deathleaper and the Lictor last scrap against a group of Dire avengers and a farseer giving me grief, and whilst the lictor got into combat, the deathleaper took rounds from every freaking tank on the board and was Instantly killed. Which was annoying. :( But the Mawloc did arrive as planned ( under a grav tank XD ) and was very effective till the tank flew off ¬.¬

So yeah. I need more Lictors and a better strategy. the Idea is there, but the pincer movement only works on chance. It needs to be a lot more reliable.

Offline DinoCop

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
Thing is that lictors are good Heavy Set up team, Scout, Transport -Hunters.

It is said that Lictors are exelent support for CC units like Hormas and Genes.

here is link to threat for Deathleaper. You may find out something usefull: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=201249.0
Banned