News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt army help  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
1000 pt army help
« on: September 22, 2002, 09:46:00 PM »
I need help on my 1000 pt army. if anyone could think up an even one which includes the following, I would be forever grateful. Keep in mind what i have might be bad, but I'm poor so I'm using what i have, regardless of what everyone thinks (see Irongaunts)

3 Warriors          - Venom Cannon (51 pts)
                             - 2x Deathspitters (82 pts)

8 Wraithgaunts - Scything, Adrenal gland +1I (80pts)
8 Irongaunts      - Fleshborer, Extended carapace (64 pts)
1 Ravener           - Talons, claws (45 pts)

Total pts             - 322
Points needed   - 678

That's it for now, if anyone can think of something, that would be great. I swear, I'm getting dumber by the second.

XIII

Offline Mantus

Re:1000 pt army help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 12:49:54 AM »
First you Iron gaunts should be 9 pts each.  (4 base+3 fleshborer + 2 carapace)

5+ armour is generally called assault armour, that’s because that’s the only place its any good since bolters and catapults go right though it.  So if you give it to a unit make it a hand-to-hand combat unit.

You need more gaunts, at least 32, i recomend 50+.

You need something to deal with armour.  I suggest, Raveners or leaping Warriors with rending claws.   The Leaping Warriors are a bit more slower but they they cost less and can get better armour and strength then the Raveners, also they are synapse.  You will have to convert them, but there is an example of a leaping conversion in the codex.

You should either get a Carnifex or Zoanathropes to bust tanks.  Or go all out and get yourself a Winged Tyrant.  

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 12:02:34 PM »
get a tyrant and more gaunts...lots more gaunts...make em cheap and have tons of em...more warriors too, they are sweet models and kick butt....raveners too, even if they get blown away early, your other bigguns will be safe, or if they blow up your carn/tyrant, your raveners will do lots of damage

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 12:18:28 PM »
Ok. How about three Winged Warriors with Talons and Claws. A few more Raveners, say three, two more boxes of gaunts (16 spinegaunts and 16 wraithgaunts - total 24 wraithgaunts) get a 'Fex with barbed strangler and a Tyrant with Venom cannon. Toss in Rippers (cause I'll have em) and I'm done. Damn. I'm gonna be poor.
Mantus, are you saying that the armor is utterly useless because of bolters? Damn. I didn't know about that rule. Is it about AP because I'm not too clear on that rule. Thanks for the tip though.

XIII

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 02:22:12 PM »
what he means is giving your guys a better save is sometimes a waste of points...if your friend is a SM player, you might be better off with the 6+ save and using the extra points for more gaunts...bolters pierce the 5+ save so its useless, but more targets gives you the advantage....your best weapon is the sheer number of models you can field, use that (even though it does cost more, but check www.bartertown.com ) to your adavantage...

also, use the extra warrior heads you have to make "hive node mutants"...they raise the leadership of their unit to 10(from 5), so when they are out of synapse range they are less likely to  do something stupid...

ap rule: if the ap value of a weapon is lower or equal to the save value, no save is allowed.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2002, 07:16:06 PM »
Yeah, you'll need something that can take down a Land Raider, and you can't always rely on melee. For this, you'll probably want a 'fex, a Tyrant, or Zoanthropes. The main problem is getting them there.

Another way to take out MBT's is to Deep Strike Warriors with Venom Cannons behind them. This won't work on the Land Raider, but it'll work wonders against a tooled-up Hammerhead.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline thewarpnids

• long live the hive mind
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 06:17:56 PM »
thats cool maybe a carni or lictor something big
dalos
warpnid hive mind warp cheif of reaserch