News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithguard Paint Scheme Idea  (Read 646 times)

Offline Oranjemens

• Dieu et mon droit
    • The SpreeBB Resource Complex
Wraithguard Paint Scheme Idea
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Ok, let's look at the fluff behind the Wraithguard.  They are artificial wraithbone constructs which are brought to 'life' by the addition of the soul of a deceased Eldar warrior.  As a result of this, they were often mighty warriors and Exarchs, and are held in very high regard and with reverence by the living Eldar.

So, I was thinking, perhaps rather than painting (or whatever Eldar do to make things colourful!) them in a 'standard' scheme, perhaps they would paint them with symbols of the deceased warrior, such as heraldry and Aspect shrine symbols and colours, as a sign of their respect?  Rather than standardising them as if they were mere robots, surely the Eldar would want to preserve the individuality and pride of the warrior whose soul is guiding the construct, and what better way to do this than with impressive and unique paint jobs?

Overall I'm thinking of a look almost like that of a unit of Bretonnian Knights, or perhaps similar to Harlequins.  I haven't really got the painting skills to carry it off to much of a high standard, so I'm afraid there will be no pictures from me...

Any thoughts or comments :D
WhiteElephant

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Wraithguard Paint Scheme Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »
I think its a great idea, individual Wraithguard and the theme could easily carry over to the rest of your army. If you need some help painting then my suggestion is to use thin paints with multiple layers, take your time, and have fun.... The paint has to work for you, not anyone else.

Any specific Questions you may have though, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers and Happy gaming.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »
I really like this idea.

How about this:

For the "base coat", a very light bone/white with a hint of light blue around the edges, for the ghostly look.

Then on the "head" section, an infinity rune, above which is the rune of the Shrine your fallen warrior belonged to. Additional runes around the edges of the "head" could translate to a battle record, name, etc. I'd go for a mid blue fading to light blue at the edges - if it could be blended right down into the bone/white, it would look awesome, but I'm not good enough to pull that off.

Don't go too heraldic, though, as they'll end up looking like human creations.   ;)
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 08:09:46 AM »
I always thought they looked good in oranje/orange.
Colorful, shiney and happy.

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:38:57 AM »
I wouldn't go as far as making them look like Harlequins. Choose a colour to be standard across the squad, like bone or black. Then choose individual colour schemes for the heads, so do one in green and yellow for your scorpion, red and orange for your fire dragon, etc... This mean the Guard are connected through the primary colour but still have their own style.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline Oranjemens

• Dieu et mon droit
    • The SpreeBB Resource Complex
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »
Thanks guys, yes I was planning on keeping coherency with the colour scheme using the loincloth colours, but more than this may be needed.  The heads do seem an ideal place to show the history of the warrior :)
WhiteElephant