News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WoTW Catch the Squig Scenario  (Read 3070 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
WoTW Catch the Squig Scenario
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
This is a WoTW battle report using the special scenario found here:
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=210224.0

When I got to the store this morning it wasn’t open yet, my pre-planned opponent had RL happen to him, so I asked for volunteers. Frank (not a member of this board… Yet) accepted the challenge.

My army: Pain In The Tactics
Mad Doc Grotsnik
Old Zogwort
4 truck loads of 12 choppa boys one being the nob with heavy armor, boss pole and PK riding in a truck with red paint, reinforced ram, and boarding plank.
2 truck loads of 12 shoota boys one being the nob with heavy armor, boss pole and PK riding in a truck with red paint, and reinforced ram.
The Green Baron
1 squad of 3 deaf coptas with TL big shootas and bombs
15 Tank bustas, one being the nob with heavy armor, boss pole and PK.
15 Burna Boys, 3 are meks with kustom mega blasters (led by Mad Doc)
Battle wagon two big shootas, red paint, armor plates, death roller, and grots
Battle wagon two big shootas, red paint, armor plates, death roller, and grots
Battle wagon one big shoota, Kill Kannon, red paint, reinforced ram, and grots

His army: Death Wing First Company Supported
Belial
Death wing squad; 5 terminators one sgt with power weapon, one with assault cannon
Death wing squad; 5 terminators one sgt with power weapon, one with assault cannon
Death wing squad; 5 terminators one sgt with power weapon, one with assault cannon, one with chain fist
Death wing squad; 5 terminators one sgt with power weapon, one with assault cannon, one with chain fist
Raven wing squad; 6 bikes one with flamer, sgt with power sword and melta bombs, attack bike with heavy bolter
Raven wing squad; 6 bikes one with flamer, sgt with power sword and melta bombs, attack bike with heavy bolter
Land raider
Land raider

(click on the pictures for a larger view)
Set up was spear head, orks won the roll for first turn. The marines won the roll for scout moves and limited where the death coptas could move by moving their bikes forward, so the death coptas had to turbo boost to the right flank.

Scout Moves

The squigs scattered to the just about even directions from the center, for the rest of the battle report since I didn’t take notes on squig movement you will have to look at the pictures.

TURN 1
Movement;
Frank failed to seize initiative and so the orks surged forward. The battle wagon with the flamers tank shocked the bikes, the sgt death or gloried and failed dying under the death roller, 10 strength 10 hits killed two more bikers. The red pants boys moved 13” and dismounted in front of the other squad of bikers. The black boots truck moved 13” and the first truck of shootas moved 13” and dismounted next to a squig. The green baron with no place else to move turbo boosted towards the land raider, the BW with tank bustas moved 7” and the kannon BW moved 7” all the rest of the trucks went as far forward as they could due to the traffic jam.

Shooting;
Old Zog took aim at the nearest termi squad and then rolled a 4 for his psychic power (+1 attack) so did nothing. The kill kannon, shot and the template moved a little but killed three bikers, The three coptas shot up the attack bike and caused 1 wound, truck big shootas shoot at termies and they make all their saves, the shootas run and catch a squig, the tank bustas shot at the far left land raider and had 8 hits but all the rockits bounced off.

Assault;
The red pants boys assault the remaining bikers, the sgt killed two boys and the boys killed the sgt (6 wound and 1 fail=the sgt) and the nob finished off the last two bikers.  The squad consolidated and captured another squig.

BOTTOM OF ONE
The termi squad with Belial deep strikes in right next to the flamers BW, the attack bike moved over and lined up on the green baron, the other attack bike lines up on the rockit buggy, the three bikers end round the flamer BW and line up on the shoota boys holding the squig, both land raiders move 6” and disgorge their loads of termis, one termi squad moves towards the red pants boys, one squad moved towards the middle.

Shooting:
3 bikers shoot at shootas, 9 wounds, assigned one to nob who saved the other 8 died, the left land raider shoots las cannon at BW and fails to penetrate, the heavy bolter shoots a truck getting a destroyed, the truck ramshakles into the side of the battle wagon, and one boy dies in the explosion. The other land raider shot at the kannon BW and failed to penetrate, the heavy bolter shot at the coptas and caused 1 wound, the wounded attack bike shoots the green baron and causes 1 wound, one squad of termies shoot up red pants boys killing 4, command termies shoot at the black boots who are now truckless, killing 6, the land raider termies open up on the flamer BW the assault cannon rolled 666 to glance the BW and then took off a big shoota. The right LR termies shoot down the green baron. One attack bike shoots the rockit buggy and immobilized it.

Assault;
One squad assaults red pants boys, The squig escapes, kill 5 orks for only 1 termi in return and the nob flees off the table. The LR termies assault the flamer BW and cause it to explode (yes even with needing 6’s to hit) one terminator was wounded, and no flamers died in the explosion thanks to FNP.

TURN 2:
Movement;
The blue shirts move up and get out next to the termies that just killed off the red pants, the gold boys get out and move towards the bikers, the other truck of shoota boys moves 6” and in front of the BW, flamers and mad doc spread out and move towards termies, Zogwart got out of the battle wagon and moved towards the line of terminators, the kannon BW backed up 6”, the black boots moved towards the center termis, the empty trucks move to make a cover wall for the shoota boys. The death coptas moved to the right of the land raider and lined up on the attack bike.

Shooting;
Zogwort turned Belial into a squig,

The kannon BW shoots at the clumped up terminators that killed the green baron.and killed one. The drive by boys shoot at the terminators and kill one, the coptas kill the attack bike with big shootas, the gold boys shoot the bikers and kill one with pistols, the three meks with KMB’s shoot at the terminators and kill one, the rockit buggy shot the attack bike and killed it, the tank busta again shoot at the left land raider and get stunned and shaken.

Assault;
The burna boys with mad doc assault the land raider squad and the command squad of terminators, squig Belial wiffs, as does the sgt, the burna boys kill 3 termies, on the other side the termi sgt killed 1 burna boy (actually a mek) and the burna boys kill 4, Mad Doc kills one, and the last termi killed a burna boy,. One squad wiped out, and squig Belial and his sgt had to take 4 fearless saves, and they all went on the sgt as no attacks actually went to the IC squig. He saved them all. The black boots charged their squad and they wipe each other out, (5 orks for 5 termies, good trade), The blue shirts charged their termis and the sgt killed one, the boys kill one termi, the other termies kill one boy and the nob wiffed, then failed his LD, the boss pole killed a boy and then failed the LD a second time and headed 7” to the board edge. The gold boys charged the bikes the bikers killed one boy and the boys kill one bike and the nob wiffed so the two squads hugged up.

Bottom of 2
Movement;
The termies in front of the fleeing blue shirts find that a squig has jumped inbetween them so move forward and catch the squig. The right land raider termies move across the front of the coptas, the right land raider backs up.

Shooting;
The land raider shoots the drive by boys truck and gets a krunch, the far right termies shoot the coptas killing two (darn assault cannon) and the survivor fled off the board. The heavy bolter shot the drive by squad and killed one boy.

Assault;
The sgt missed and Belial Squig hit but failed to wound, the flamers finished them off consolidating towards the left land raider.

Continued on next post............... ......

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:10:42 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: WoTW Catch the Squig Scenario Part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
TURN 3
The blue shirts flee off the board, and one of the squigs escaped off the board. The shoota boys move to surround termies with squig, Zogwort moves towards the same squad, the trucks make a cover wall for the flamers, the tank busta BW pivoted and moved 7” to line up on other land raider. The kannon BW moves forward 6”.

Shooting;
Zogwort rolled frazzle but the template scattered into the middle of nowhere, the kannon shot scattered and wounded 1 termi that saved, The shoota boys lit up the termies and make 8 wounds and the termies saved them all, the KMBs shoot the land raider and get a glance for a shaken, the tank busta shoot at the right land raider and again get lots of hits but fail to penetrate.

Assault;
The drive by boys assault the terminators and the squig escapes, the termi sgt kills one boy the boys kill 2 termis and the nob finished off the last one, they consolidate towards a squig. Mad Doc and the flamers assault the didn’t move land raider and mad doc wiffs failing to penetrate, one glance and then rolls a 1. Started to threaten dice. The gold boys finish off the last biker and consolidate towards a squig.

Bottom of 3
Movement;
Squad that killed coptas move towards drive by boys, land raider rams a truck getting a krunch, the other land raider moves forward

Shooting;
The Right landraider shot a lascannon at Zogwort causing a wound, then shoots heavy bolter at drive by boys killing 1, the termies shoot at the drive by boys killing 4, then the nob had to use the boss pole to keep the boys from running.

Assault;
There was none

TURN 4
Movement;
Zog heads towards the termies, Mad Doc and flamers head towards land raider, drive by boys catch a squig. The gold boys move and catch a squig, the trucks make a cover wall for the flamers, the tank busta BW rams the right land raider causing two hits and fails to penetrate.

Shooting;
Lots of pistol shots and big shoota shots did nothing, Zogwort rolled a zapp and killed one termi. KMBs miss one getting hot and killing the mek.

Assaults;
Mad Doc and company assault the land raider, and again mad doc gets a glance and rolls a 1. Starting to think this is a lucky land raider. Zogwort assaults the terminators, kills one and the other two killed Zog.

BOTTOM of 4
Movement;
The lucky land raider tank shocks two units freeing the squigs, the shoota boy nob death or gloried got the heavy bolter but died under the tracks of the land raider. The right land raider moves slightly and positions itself for a side shot of the tank busts BW. The last of the termies move towards the drive by boys.

Shooting;
The land raider put a lascannon shot into the side of the tank busta BW and got an immobilized, the heavy bolter shoots and kills one drive by boy, the termies shoot and kill two drive by boys. The drive by boys pass their ld.

Assault;
There was none

TURN 5
Movement;
Another squig escapes off the table edge. Mad Doc and company move towards the land raider, The tank bustas dismount and move towards the right land raider, one truck backs up to act as cover for the flamers, the other two flat out to get into LOS of the last termies. The kannon BW tank shocks the last two termies to move them out of the ability to assault the tank bustas. The gold boys move after a squig, as well as the last two shoota boys. The drive by boys catch a squig.

Shooting;
The gold boys run and catch a squig, two shoota boys run after another but must have been out of breath as they failed to move far enough to catch the other squig. The tank busters at point blank range glance off one lascannon and shake the crew.

Assault;
The tank bustas charged the other land raider and with copious amounts of missing get one glance and roll another 1. Mad Doc charges the lucky land raider and got two pens destroying a lascannon and getting a stunned.

Bottom of 5
Movement;
The lucky land raider tank shocks the gold boys and the squig escapes. The other land raider tank shocked the tank bustas, the nob death or gloried and took off the heavy bolter and then got squished, the LR continued its move and rammed the side of the kannon BW getting a pen and destroying it. The two terminators moved towards the drive by boys.

Shooting;
The terminators shot the drive by boys killing the last one but the nob passed his ld.

Assault;
The terminators assaulted the drive by nob who died of course, and the squig went free escaping off the board. They consolidated towards another squig that was nearby.

The dice was rolled and so: TURN 6: (lucky me)
Movement;
The trucks rounded the corner and got LOS on the termies, the other truck went through terrain to line up on the termies, the gold boys and mad doc move towards the lucky land raider.

Shooting;
All the trucks shoot at the termies and they make all their saves. The tank bustas finally glance to death the other land raider, totally blocking them from any further part in the game.

Assault;
Mad Doc and the gold boys assault the lucky land raider, and again fail to hurt it getting one glance and then rolling a 1.

Bottom of 6
Movement;
The lucky land raider tank shocks the two shoota boys to keep them from catching the squig.

There was no shooting or assault.

Again the dice decreed another turn. TURN 7 and I forgot to take pictures
Movement;
The two shoota boys move towards the termies, Mad Doc towards the land raider, goldies towards the squig. Two trucks pull up with clear line of fire to the termies. The other truck tank shocks the termies who death or glory and get the glory with a satisfying krunch, the squig goes free and escapes off the table.

Shooting, the trucks shot their big shootas and caused a miraculous 3 wounds that he saved, the shoota boys fired and caused one wound and one termi died. The gold boys ran after a squig but did not catch it.

Assault;
Mad doc assaults the lucky land raider, and again get a glance and rolls a 1.

Bottom of 7
On the roll for the squig it escaped off the table. So we called it as we were beaten by squigs.

RESULT:
VICTORY FOR THE SQUIGS
What was left of the orks

Lessons learned; don’t have Zogwort assault terminators, and threaten your dice before the game. I also forgot until after the game that I could have used those extra 40 points I didn’t use to give my battle wagons cybork body. Other than that, I don’t think I would have done much different. Frank is a great sport and was incredibly calm when Belial was turned into a squig, I couldn’t have asked any better. Too bad he now has to admit to being beaten by squigs. (orks never lose so we just didn’t win)

I now know what my squig conversion will be: Squig Belial…
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Gealgain

• twelve, foot, wh40k... i don't get it
Re: WoTW Catch the Squig Scenario
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »
so I decided to join the forums! (I'm the opponent in this scenario)
as we had discussed during the game, the lucky land raider got a fresh new dheneb stone paintjob!

this game was a lot of fun, I'd be willing to play it again, but with some changes to my list.
for one, i'd update my DW squads to be current with the new FAQ (storm shields and cyclone launchers) more lightning claws, and i'd leave belial in the transport!
 i have a new hatred/ respect for ol' zog, that one move totally neutered my most killy unit.
-psychic hood!
i should have outflanked with my bikes.
i should have kept the multi meltas on my attack bikes.
tank shock/ramming is now my bag (and with an AV14 landspeeder at my fingertips, I may do it more often!)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Glad to see you here. I will inspect your lucky landraider this weekend. (just kidding but I do want to see the new paint job)

It was a fun game with some squig silliness thrown in, as well as some amazing luck for your land raider that just would not die.

I think you need to paint a medal on it, whatever medals they SM give to heros for beating the odds. I seem to remember reading a story a while back about a land raider that went off fighting by itself, and was awarded a medal. Yours definitly qualifies, it was hit multiple times every turn, and it still had one lascannon and was still fighting at the end of the game.

Offline Gealgain

• twelve, foot, wh40k... i don't get it
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
won't be able to make it this weekend (work and all) the weekend after next, definitey! barring anything that the mrs may have for me