News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My ulthwe army  (Read 13830 times)

Offline Rx8Speed

Re: My ulthwe army
« Reply #40 on: June 4, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
I'm not quite done the wraithguard yet but I'm starting on some other stuff because well... that's how I do this hobby lol. I'll come back to the wraithguard at some point soon I promise! As you can see I've been on a building kick lately. I also painted one of the wraithcannons for my wraithknight (the project that never ends).

I'm debating how to go about priming these guys. I was thinking of priming them black except priming the catapult-arm grey since that piece is mostly bone. The bone goes on much nicer over grey. My concern is whether the arm will come out looking lighter than the rest of the model? I'm definitely going to prime the dire avenger exarch grey. I am more likely to use him as an autarch since I think he is one of the coolest looking characters in our range atm. I'm going to try and match how gw did it on their web site because they really did a good job on that model. Maybe I'll try my hand at converting by giving him a shuriken pistol in his shield hand, what do you guys think?

Anyways here's the pics

« Last Edit: June 4, 2015, 01:43:14 PM by Rx8Speed »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #41 on: June 4, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
hmm, if you say the things come out much nicer on a grey undercoat, there's obviously some difference for you to spot. I'd advice making that difference noticable on different parts of the same model.

the cannon does look very pretty.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #42 on: June 4, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »
The reason it comes out nicer is the simple reason that it takes less coats to get a nicer solid bone color over the grey than black so maybe I could do the grenades or something later and prime them grey?

And thanks! I've finally got the process for painting bone down for this army and coming to terms with the fact that red gems look bad on bone is going to make the rest of my army much prettier I think

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #43 on: June 6, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »
Came out super nice RX8. Have you tried Army Painter bone? Its so nice... it makes doing Ulthwe a whole easier.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #44 on: June 8, 2015, 10:07:54 AM »
Here's an update on the guardians. All primed and ready to be painted. The guns are primed grey since I didn't read cav's post before I sprayed them :( would have gone with the bone spray if I had! In the background are all the paints I intend on using on these guys

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #45 on: June 8, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
this look pretty cool actually, arrayed like that. I should do that next time :)

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
Some progress on the new guardians. I have all of the guns basecoated and I have just about finished the first model. still have to highlight the red gems as well as the red rags he has on his waist and around his upper arms and the tag things he has on his wrists and lower legs. Also going to add a a lighter grey highlight to some of the black areas. Here's some pics of that model when compared with my wraithguard and and when compared to a guardian from my existing units that I painted in ancient times

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
Nice RX8! I really love the color balance and the execution is super nice. I think you've nailed the whole color balance for this entire force. I'm also a huge fan of the green gems. This force is looking great... keep rocking man!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Well Rx that's some nice job you done at kipping the color them on the different guy's but i'm no entirely sold on the bone on the torso plate. To me it's a bit too much. That's just personnal taste though.
on the other hand i'm totally sold on the green stone! It look awesome :D and the bone look real smooth aswell, + the cover on the arm with bone there I totally like it.

Keep it up as a standalone i don't totally like the guardian but as a whole that look super nice and should be awesome when everything is finished !
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »
yes, I agree on the green gems. They look a ton better.

I also really like the high contrast, and the bone chest plate looks ace.
If I may nitpick though, I see you left the heads black, and to me that means that they don't get much focus from my natural movement of the eye compared to the brightly colored chest and weapon. Usually, people want the heads of models to be a focal point, as that's what people look at when they look at a person too. So you could consider painting the helmet or the faceplate (or both) in bone as well.

Other than that nitpick, they look great. The black has been highlighted well, the bone looks superb, and the green gems just pop!

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
If I may nitpick though, I see you left the heads black, and to me that means that they don't get much focus from my natural movement of the eye compared to the brightly colored chest and weapon. Usually, people want the heads of models to be a focal point, as that's what people look at when they look at a person too. So you could consider painting the helmet or the faceplate (or both) in bone as well.

For once i won't agree with you vonny, changing the color on the helmet is surely a good thingd to do i think but going for bone would break the balance of bone and black in my opinion, I would rather concider a different color. Red or green (unless really dark green) would probably not work i think. Therefore I would advice if he was to do that to change only the mask and for a greyish color to stay in the theme for this army. Kinda like the ost things that was introduced in the last codex.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
@grizzly thanks! I know the bone is a bit much but it makes the whole army seem brighter and sets it apart from other ulthwe armies. Also I designed the color scheme like over 10 years ago so I am kind of stuck with it lol.

@vonny I totally understand what you mean. The wraithguard's whole head is bone so it doesn't have that problem but the guardian definitely does. I highighted up the black with a lighter grey last night and I think it looks at least better. I post up some pics tonight or something. I also finished all the red and highlighted the bone with white, just basing left to do

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
Here's the pics as promised of the guardian with my new ultramarine devastators in the back:

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
You might have been a bit too ham on the higlight i think, but it looks great non the less, very bright compared to normal ulthwe :D

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 03:53:38 AM »
It defininitely gets the attention on the face!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 07:13:31 AM »
Hate to be critical... but I think you went overboard! I think he looked great before. My approach to painting black models is to keep them very dark and let subtle highlights draw your eye to areas of interest. I go Black-Eshin Grey- DawnStone Grey-Celestra Grey. Anyway thats my 2cents... but keep it up you're doing great!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
I see what you guys are saying. I toned it down a bit by painting some eshin grey on the out sides of the brighter highlights. WHat do you guys think now?

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
the problem isn't really the color it's more like the amount you use.  I mean the surface it take, your helmet i think is too grey, it should be black with just a few hint of white or grey here and there. well should is probably not a suitable word but you get my feeling on this one.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2015, 03:47:41 AM »
I think it looks really good, but I also agree with the others: it looks more grey than black. Or like a matt black with a lot of light on it  :o
If you think this looks good, please keep it this way. It depends on what you want to achieve, really.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »
I think it looks really good, but I also agree with the others: it looks more grey than black. Or like a matt black with a lot of light on it  :o
If you think this looks good, please keep it this way. It depends on what you want to achieve, really.

yeah she is right, in the end it's you who decide what you want for your army.