News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330676 times)

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #700 on: April 24, 2016, 03:21:40 AM »
overwhelmingly excellent!
I'm having a DA army myself already but this makes me think about doing another one in pre heresy colour.
Great.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2016, 02:21:50 PM »
@Ibushi- Heheh, thanks man. Glad you like them. Its gonna be a lot of fun to do something new and learn a new army. The list I've got cooked up will be a real blast to play and has a bit of everything. Small points games with these guys against the Necrons will be coming as soon as both forces are operational which should make for some good bat-reps.

@Murgel- Hey thanks man I really appreciate it. I absolutely love the Dark Angels in their Pre-Heresy colors. It gives them a real level of menace which I love. Plus the visual of the Emperor leading an all black Space Marine legion in the Unification Wars always blows my mind. Anyway thanks for the kind words man I'm glad you like them.

@Everybody- Next up is the bat-rep! It was my most important league match yet. How did I do? Stay-tuned and find out!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #702 on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:28 AM »
Wow, they look stunning!
Again you've managed to get such a clean looking paint job on them. Really looking forward to seeing some more of these. Are you going to be adding any of the Forgeworld Legion Vehicles (Sicaran etc)?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #703 on: April 25, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »
@Auric's Pride- Hey thanks Auric. I really appreciate it, especially coming from a fellow Son of the 1st and mightiest Legion! I will certainly be adding a Sicaran to the force (hopefully a plastic one if the rumors are true). Their will be a LOT of Forgeworld in this force. A number of quite standard units are going to pure FW regardless of cost (and regardless of duplicate units I already have from the Dark Vengeance and Calth sets) with some nice conversions to boot. However the list I plan on running initially will have a somewhat unconventional approach to be sure. No formations, no Centurions but very fast, hard hitting and with some tricky units mixed in as well. Its going to be very fun and quite thematic. Anyway very very glad to see you are excited my friend. Stay tuned because you have not seen the last of the 1st Legion!

Escalation League Game #3

Hey everybody. The deadly Lions of Asuryan roar back onto the tabletop for another Escalation League game. This one was all important. My opponent Nick is in 2nd place and I needed to get max points (win all 3 tiers of objectives) to still be in the running to win the League. This time against the Sons of Russ: the Space Wolves. So the objectives in this game were The Scouring (VP's for killing fast attacks, 1st Blood, Line Breaker, Warlord), Behind Enemy Lines (more units in your opponents DZ) and to have double the amount of points still on the table at the end of the game than your opponent. All very different objectives and a lot to keep track of in addition to trying defeat your opponent. Alright so lets get into lists!

Space Wolves 1250pts

Harald Deathbringer
Thunder-Wolf Cavalry x6- Stormshields x3, Powerfists x2
Tactical Squad- x5
         Razorback- Las-Plas
Tactical Squad- x5
         Razorback- Las-Plas
Tactical Squad- x10 - Terminator Sergent, Melta, Combi-Melta
         Drop-Pod
Long Fangs x?- About 5 Missile Launchers
Dreadnought- Autocannon, Power Claw

Eldar 1250pts

Autarch- Bike, Lance, Banshee Mask
Striking Scorpions x9- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x10
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Warp Spiders x5
Nightwing
Warp Hunter
Wraithlord

Deployment- I was quite suprised by the lack of Drop Pods in this list. I've played Nick on a number of occasions and I knew he LOVED his Drop Pods with special weapons and combi-weapon Termies. So I was surprised by the presence of just 1! The crew he plays with tend to get steamrolled by Thunder-Cav and he was certainly playing to that with this list.

Eldar Deployment: So the surprising lack of Drop Pods allowed me to be VERY aggressive in my deployment. Everything was on except the Warp Hunter. I castled up as much as I could out of LOS, and had a little bait unit to hopefully draw the Thunderwolves out as soon as possible.

Space Wolf Deployment: He lined up in a broad line with the Thunderwolves slightly left-of-center. Long Fangs in the big multi-story ruin supported by a Razorback on the left. While on the right we had a lone Dreadnought and a Razorback. This was not the wisest approach in my view. Spreading out against Eldar allows you to isolate and destroy and with so many points loaded into the Thunderwolves this meant a low model count which only strengthened my position. A single fighting column driving right at my army would have been more difficult to tackle.

Anyway I had 1st Turn (a rarity) initiative was not stolen so lets dive into Turn 1!

Turn 1

Eldar- Luckily I had a very good view of the Thunderwolves right from the get-go. My jetbikes popped out and shot the hell out of them causing 3 wounds meaning a Wolf was lost and another took a wound. That was very a good round of shooting (even though I wasn't using enough dice! I screwed up and was 3 dice short on each roll of the 1st turn!) The Wraithlord climbed up into the ruins and even assisted with his Scatter Lasers. The jetbikes then thrusted back out of LOS and everything else held firm to protect against the Drop-Pod and to continue to draw the Wolves out. Didn't want to get cut-down by Las-Plas, Missiles and Auto-Cannons. I could afford to patient for now. The 1st goal is to take down the Thunderwolves, then move out.

Space Wolves- The Wolves rumbled forward. The Thunderwolves moved and ran up behind the rocky spires getting some very good cover. The tanks moved out and the Dreadnought shuffled forward. The Long Fangs fired some shots off on the Wraithlord but Night Fight plus the cover from the ruins helped him go unscathed. Very very nice.

Turn 2

Eldar- So the Warp Hunter and the Nightwing both arrive from Reserves. 2 units of Jetbikes pop out and they the Warp Hunter, Nightwing and Wraithlord all unload on the Thunder Wolves. I drown them in laser fire reducing the squad to just 2 models, Harald Deathbringer and a lone bodyguard both down on single wounds. Excellent! My 3rd unit of jetbikes on the right flank who couldn't draw LOS with the Wolves, attack a Razorback and wreck it for 1st blood, spilling Marines/targets for my Scorpions and Avengers in later turns. Things are going well.

Space Wolves- The wheels were starting to come off the wagon. Shockingly the Thunder Wolves cease to move forward and hunker down behind the rocky spires, desperate to avoid the Jetbikes. Meanwhile the Drop-Pod comes down both meltas fire off into the Warp Hunter but to no avail! One misses and I jink the other. The remaining Razorback also targets the Warp Hunter but misses badly. Then curiously Long Fangs, Dreadnought go after the Wraithlord and he makes all his saves. This is looking very bad for the Wolves and some mistakes have been made.

Turn 3

Eldar- Sensing shellshock from the Wolves, the Lions of Asuryan strike! The two remaining Jetbike units leap back out from cover and eliminate the Thunderwolves in a hail of fire. It was a formality really but still it enabled me to be very aggressive. The Scorpions, Wraithlord all break from cover going right after the Tacticals on the right flank while the Avengers hold back and give the fire support. The Jetbikes also move out and tag the Dreadnought managing to glance him twice even while requiring 6's to do so! The Nightwing swings around blasts 2 HP's off the remaining Razorback and immobilizes it. Meanwhile the Spiders moved out towards the center of the board, keeping out of LOS of the Long Fangs, while setting their sights on them simultaneously. Meanwhile the Warp Hunter having jinked, moves out of LOS of everything preparing to let loose again turn 4.

Conclusion- Somewhat unexpectedly my opponent decides to call it after his Turn 4 (he killed only two Scorpions)! With so many of the objectives still in play I felt like it was still a game, but I guess without his Thunderwolves he felt he was out of the game. I really thought the Long Fangs, Dreadnought and Tacticals still stood a fair chance of punching back as I made moves to get into combat but apparantly my opponent felt differently. He wasn't salty or bitter about it at all, but he pointed out he had only killed two models and just couldn't see things turning around. I had pulled some major teeth out of the bite of his army but I still felt like with some good rolls he could have done well. Oh well. We hung out for awhile and chatted about baseball and other things for a good long while after the game so there were no hard feeling but it was a bit of a bummer. I really wanted to have nice long, bloody bat-rep for you guys!

Final Thoughts- This was a perplexing win. I think my opponent quit simply because his best unit got eliminated. He still had the Long Fangs, Dreadnought, a Razorback, 3 Tactical squads at full offensive output on the table and I was rushing out to essentially meet him. It seems perfect for a Space Wolf player but I guess with my entire army at full strength it was just too big a hill a climb. I really wish we had kept playing because I think it would have been a good bust-up as I moved out of cover.

Sorry I don't have as many photos for this one because I felt like we had hardly gotten started before it was over. Anyway I'm back in the running for the top-spot in the League. I'll need to keep winning, and the 1st place guy will have to lose one game but I'm still in it. Anyway stay-tuned for more. Match-ups will be decided in the next few days!

Hobby Progress

So work continues on the Seer Council/Baron Council. The 1st Baron/Warlock is finished, while the 2nd has all his basic highlights and colors completed. He should be done tomorrow. I'll need a couple more boxes of bikes to finish this unit but its coming along quickly. The Farseers and my actual Corsair Prince will be next on the docket. So stay tuned for that!

Alright guys thats all I got for now. Stay-tuned and thanks as always for all your comments and support. Its always truly truly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:58:09 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #704 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »
What a strange game.  I think that your opponent gave up far too easily.  I've been in far worse positions than him in the past, some of them against members of this forum, and carried on until the bitter end.  Mind you, I rarely invest so many points in one main unit like your opponent did.  Thunderwolves are very dangerous, but the total cost of them and the named character ate into your opponent's army and I think that he'd have been better off taking a second Drop Pod.

The Wraithlord earned its keep by drawing fire.  Something about it seems to lure opponents into targeting it when they usually ought to be firing at something else.  I think that they get overawed by the model, because it does look rather threatening, especially when modelled in the way in which you have assembled it :D.

Congratulations on your victory and hopefully your next game will last a bit longer :).

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #705 on: April 26, 2016, 02:46:14 AM »
Well done sir, a brutal victory over the power armoured mon keigh!

Yes sounds like he definitely could have hung in until the bitter end to try for some objectives, but I've been in the same position where you get a bit hyped up and once your momentum is lost you feel that "whats the point" coming on. Man, I've totally thrown games away from being psyched out and making foolish decisions then conceding when I shouldn't, it happens.

Pretty sure you would have cleaned up anyway, so fair's fair.

Looking forward to the next one! Who do you think you'll face?
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2016, 04:20:51 AM »

Final Thoughts- This was a perplexing win. I think my opponent quit simply because his best unit got eliminated. He still had the Long Fangs, Dreadnought, a Razorback, 3 Tactical squads at full offensive output on the table and I was rushing out to essentially meet him. It seems perfect for a Space Wolf player but I guess with my entire army at full strength it was just too big a hill a climb. I really wish we had kept playing because I think it would have been a good bust-up as I moved out of cover.

Sometimes the dice are with you and sometimes they are cursed. I would have played just played it out for fun and to see just how much damage I could do when the chip were down.

Latest models looks sweet as :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:22:52 AM by magenb »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #707 on: April 26, 2016, 06:00:56 AM »
It does seem like you had a brilliant first two turns against him, and I can imagine him loosing heart. However, as a member of the rout, I didn't think he'd give up so easily. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat is always sweet, and if I'm really losing badly I'd go for a personal victory (like killing that annoying wraithlord, for example).
Speaking of the wraithlord, it seems the forum's collective advice to bring it along turned out well! You had a beautiful model on the table and it worked like it was supposed to work: as a major bullet magnet.
I'm wondering why the drop pod didn't come in turn one, though...

Anyway, cngrats on the win and we're all hoping you'll make it to first place, i'm sure.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #708 on: April 26, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. I agree with you giving up too easily. I would have gone at least 5 turns to see if it ended (thus avoid concession). He could have punched back and at least won on one of the objective tiers and secured himself some points for the league, but oh well. It did look like a loss was coming but still would have been fun as melee was just about to begin. List construction was definitely an issue. Flexibility is key... I always design a sort of decentralized list where I'm not overly reliant on any one or two units. And yes! The Wraithlord earned his keep for sure. Now that I've played SO many games without the Wraithknight, the venerable Ghost Warrior will probably see a lot more battles for the sake of casual play. Its great including him again. Its been a long while!

@Ibushi- Thanks bud. Always appreciate your input and advice. To be honest I think a a tough loss was coming his way, but we almost had Wraithlord vs. Dreadnought glory! I was dying for that to happen. As for the next match-up its against a Crimson Slaughter army with Daemon allies! Lots of Daemon Engines, including Mauler Fiends and a Hell Drake! I cannot wait for this. I've only gotten to play against CSM once in about 6 years and I cannot wait to throw down against this army. Nightwing Vs. Hell Drake, Wraithlord Vs. Maulerfiend are the match-ups I'm looking for. After that its a Harlequin themed Dark Eldar army! The poor kid has lost all his games thus far so I hope he still participates. He's a young blood but a VERY good painter for his relative inexperience. Anyway thanks as always man!

@Magenb- I'm with you buddy. He had some poor rolls and my dice were hot, but still... combat was about to begin! Its no worries. Nick is a real nice guy and I'm sure I'm in for a bloodbath of a match when I play against his Tau.

@Vonny- Hey Vonny! Full credit to you for sparking the idea of the Wraithlord. I'm so happy I included him, as it got the brain going for his most important outing next match. Thanks for suggesting I wouldn't have included him if not for you.

Also yeah I did have a great 1st two turns. I was pounding the daylights out of his Thunderwolves and taking almost no return fire. Even Thunderwolves need support charging up the field and their was no pressure beyond their presence. I do wish we had kept going but hey if you aren't having fun its understandable. Also about the drop-pod.... I asked him about that and he decided to bring it in out of normal reserves. I'm not sure if thats legal. Oh well it was fine in the end.

Thanks about reaching 1st too. I really hope I get it, but I need the 1st place guy to lose one game and it doesnt look like its going to happen. Arghh! I should have beat him when I had the chance. Oh well still playing well which is the most important thing. Anyway thanks again Vonny, your suggestions really helped secure the win. Thanks!

@Everybody- Well guys the next match is coming soon against a very vicious Chaos force. I cannot wait for this throw-down and will try and take a lot of pics. Hopefully it'll be a longer game. Anyway until then stay-tuned there's a lot more to come!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #709 on: April 26, 2016, 09:09:48 AM »
ah, painful to hear about the youngblood's fate so far in the league. I hope he's learning from the games though, sees what he's missing in his army or what he's doing wrong in his tactics. I remember losing every game for an eternity...

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #710 on: April 26, 2016, 12:02:47 PM »
Nice, that sounds like it will be a good matchup to look forward to! Maulerfiends with lasher tendrils are really really good, and a Heldrake will be a solid challenge for the jetbikes and nightwing, that ignores cover vector strike is no joke! Plus those nasties are tough...

No Drop Pods can only deploy via Drop Pod Assault, so that guy should have come in turn 1, but no matter.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #711 on: April 27, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
@Vonny- Yeah I actually reached out to the Youngblood to inquire about the game and encourage him. Playing with DE is SO hard right now. I know it was only CAD Necrons (not Decurion) but still its very tough, especially in a lower points game and with limited model selection. Helping him a bit with future purchases as well. So hopefully he's not losing heart.

@Ibushi- Yes both Daemon Engines should be a fun challenge. Yeah I thought that Drop Pod thing was wrong, but I let it go. He was getting discouraged rather quickly so I figured it wasn't worth it. Next time I'll be stingy on it. Anyway thanks bud for the rules clarification.

@Everybody- Well guys work continues to rumble on with the Secondary Armies. I'm having a great time painting these guys. Very refreshing to to put work into non-Eldar stuff that I'm actually going to keep (unlike my commissions).

Anyway very happy with how my Chaplain has come out. With my Dark Angels I'm generally going for something between the ULTRA spartan FW approach to DA, and the classic Rogue Trader stuff. Bummed FW has excluded a lot of the red accents in their promo art but maybe it'll featured once the DA are fleshed out more fully. Also fun doing a more weathered approach with the minis as well.

Also here's my Tomb Spider! Sadly I can't find away to remove the top of the carapace (can't see a good spot to pin or magnetize which'll actually hold) so all the detail work on the inside will sadly go unseen. Oh well at least I got the pics to prove it.

I actually finished both of my Autarch's wing-men but I'm their bases aren't quite done so pics on them will have to wait. Heroquest stuff is also on the docket so stay tuned for that. Anyway guys thanks for stopping by. I hope you like all the new stuff. So stay tuned their a lot more to come!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #712 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
Wow looks fantastic, good stuff Cav!

Really like those Dark Angels, really great execution there. Are you going do all the plasma cores red as well? Personally I am a huge fan of the classic blue plasma, it's a nice contrast, but the limited palette you use here draws the eye differently and captures the 'essence' of the early Dark Angels really well, so either way hah. Blowing my mind as usual.

I want to see those wing men!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #713 on: April 27, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
I always love your work Cavalier.  :)

Interesting choice, doing the plasma cores red.  I like it!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #714 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »
Wow as always. Where do youfind the time?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #715 on: April 28, 2016, 07:03:53 AM »
@Ibushi- Hey bud thanks. The plasma core is actually a bright yellowy orange with a reddish orange in the grooves, but the camera just seems to be shading it all to red  >:(
Its definitely a low-contrast approach, and not artistically "correct" but for whatever reason I like to do that occasionally. Like the orange gems on the Autarch and Baron bikes, not artistically correct due to all the gold but for whatever reason I like it. Personally my favorite look for the Plasma is green. Back in 2nd edition they used to do green plasma and I loved it! My bro's IG all have green plasma and it looks really cool.

Anyway the bases for those wing-men should be done today. I'll have pics and whatnot later today or perhaps tomorrow. Anyway thanks as always for your input man. Also give some updates on your army! I want pics!

@Cpt. Calamity- Thanks bud. Glad you dig the plasma color... though I wish its true colors showed. I worked hard for that bright yellowy orange!

@Dread- Thanks buddy. I actually only spend about an hour a day working on my own stuff. I'm just super regimented about it. Also I don't really batch paint which helps. I do a couple guys start to finish, then do the basic highlights on the rest and then finish each guy one by one. Most people will tell you its slower but for me I tend to miss things when I batch-paint and end up having to go back a few steps, redo things blend highlights and whatnot. Just an hour a day consistently over a long period of time is all it really takes. It'd actually be fun to do an hour a day challenge over a month and see what we could all accomplish. Anyway bud thanks as always... and get cracking with those Eldar!  ;D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #716 on: May 1, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
Hey guys back with another bat-rep! Second to last in the Escalation League series. This game was against Crimson Slaughter CSM featuring a lot of Daemon Engines. I had been very much looking forward to this game as I've not played against any of the Daemon Engines since they debuted. I was dying to pit my Wraithlord against one of the Maulerfiends if at all possible and spoiler alert.... it happened!

Also there will be some heavy commentary at the end. The report will focus on the game itself while I have some strong thoughts and opinions about the overall experience at the end. So with that out of the way, lets begin.

Escalation League Game #4

Crimson Slaughter 1500pts

Chaos Lord- Bike, Mark of Nurgle, Powerfist
Chaos Spawn x2
Chaos Terminators x3- Lightning Claws x3
Plague Marines x5- Plasma, Combi-Plasma
Cultists x10
Cultists x10
Havocs x6- Missile Launchers x4
Land Raider- Lascannons, Storm Bolter

Eldar 1500pts

Autarch- Bike, Lance, Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun
Farseer- Bike
Striking Scorpions x9- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x10
Warp Spiders x5
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers x4
Nightwing
Warp Hunter
Wraithlord

Deployment- The above photos is just to show the terrain set-up. So we rolled Vanguard Deployment which is divides the board diagonally. I deployed everything but one unit of bikes, my Hornets and Nightwing. I just couldn't find cover for the bikes and I wanted to try and get behind the Maulerfiends, or snap shoot the Helldrake if my Nightwing failed to bring him down. Other than that I setup as much out of LOS as possible and set up a wedge formation in the ruins, ready to receive the Crimson Slaughter attack head-on.

My opponent set-up as you would expect with the Land Raider and Maulerfiends in a little pack looking to move out together. While the Havocs, Plague Marines and Cultists held down the back lines.

Objectives- Kill points, double points for Slay the Warlord and Hold the Center of the board for an additional point.

Additional Pre-Game Notes- For Warlord traits I rolled Conqueror of Cities which is Move Through Cover, and Stealth in Ruins! Excellent, excellent.This is THE best Warlord trait for me. It allows my bikes to pop in and out of ruins without having to take Dangerous Terrain, and with hull down my Warp Hunter had a 2+ cover save in ruins. Excellent! For Psychic Powers I got Guide, Doom, Mind War and Eldritch Storm. All excellent powers. Yet my hot start didn't stop their... I also SEIZED the Initiative. Stoked!

Turn 1

Eldar- Very basic approach in this one. The Havocs and the Land Raider were the only long range threats in the army. If I could remove them I could dart around and play the "Range Game". So with the Havocs well within 36" (a mistake on my opponents part?) of all my Jetbikes they were my first target and I just deluged them with fire and removed them for First Blood. Second up the Warp Hunter went after the Land Raider. I was able to position the blast marker to hit both the Land Raider and one of the Maulerfiends yet poor rolls saw the Maulerfiend escape all damage and the Land Raider only take 2 HP's though I did destroy one of its Lascannons. Meanwhile the Warp Spiders move up on my right flank in support of my Scorpions who've I'm preparing for a late game flanking attack. So a very solid start, considering most games most of my army is off the board and I don't get much offense in. Very happy thus far.

Crimson Slaughter- The Land Raider rumbles forward and lets off a Lascannon shot into my Wraithlord who passes his cover save. The Maulerfiends move and then run and are dangerously close. The Plague Marines break for my right flank towards the Scorpions and Spiders. They take some Plasma shots at them (even after I remind him of Flickerjump again) and they Flicker Jump out of range. Without any long range fire its a short turn.

Turn 2

Eldar- Time for Lions of Asuryan to lay down their customary Turn 2 barrage! The Hornets and Nightwing both show up (though I try to keep the Nightwing off). I pull off a cheeky maneuver and have the Nightwing come in an extreme angle keeping him almost on the back line of my DZ and then Vector Dance facing the Maulerfiends to keep him away from the Helldrake's Vector Strike. The Hornets show up on the left flank behind the Maulerfiends after an Acute Senses re-roll to get them just where I want them. The Jetbikes all pop out of cover to support and the Warp Hunter rolls back to keep away from the Maulerfiends. The Avengers however hold, while the mighty Wraithknight boldly hops out of cover to confront the Maulerfiends! On my right flank the Spiders and Scorpions move out to engage the Plague Marines preparing to move on the center of the board in tandem later in the game. So with all the positioning accomplished its time to fire. The Hornets destroy one of the Maulerfiends, the Warp Hunter destroys the Land Raider, and the Warp Spiders reduce the Plague Marines to a lone Marine. The Lions of Asuryan are shredding the loathesome heretics and loving it.

Crimson Slaughter- The Helldrake arrives! Zooming towards the Avengers he lets off a torrent of flame and incinerates only 4 of them due to staggering their placement in the ruins. The Terminators now deposited in the center of the board, move forward and run. The Champion on a bike is also now on the edge of my Deployment Zone. The Plague Marine with a Plasma Gun shoots down a Scorpion. Also the Cultists move and run forward in an attempt to swamp the middle of the board to try and "Hold the Middle" for objective points. Meanwhile the big show begins! Maulerfiend vs. Wraithlord. He charges the Wraithlord but my higher initiative means I go first. The Wraithlord scores 3 hits with his Ghostspear, a glance and a pen, he fails his Daemon save and I blow the beast up! I couldn't have been more happy for my Wraithlord. I know I'm not playing against Tournament level armies but the Wraithlord has been a boss in these games. He's definitely got a spot on the regular rotation going forward.

Turn 3 

Eldar- With both Maulerfiends gone I really crippled his attack. Yet the Chaos Lord and Helldrake both remain. So I go after the Helldrake first forcing him to Jink while the Nightwing scores a number of hits and Immobilizes/Vector Locks him, the Hornets snapfire at him as well and cause an additional HP. Then all 3 units of bikes unload on the Lord and fail to cause even a SINGLE WOUND! I need 4's to wound, and he's got a 2+ save and he just rolls like a boss. My Warp Hunter whiffs his barrage rolls and thus the Lord escapes. Then my Farseer casts Mind War and eliminates a Terminator. The Wraithlord then moves in flames and assaults them eradicating the loathe some traitors. Meanwhile the Scorpions and Spiders are poised to attack the center of the board. The noose is tightening!

Crimson Slaughter- The Helldrake unable to fire due to Jinking flies off the board. The Chaos Lord moves up and lets off a lone bolter shot at a bike removing him. Then out of the blue the Cultists assault the Wraithlord, try to tarpit him. Wall of Death and 3 Ghostglaive attacks later and then detestable rabble flees. I fail to catch him, but they only run a few inches and won't escape fiery retribution in the next turn.

Conclusion- After my opponent comments "This guy is thinking "I'm going to table this scrub" " we decide to call it, thus ending the MOST unpleasant game of the entire league and one of the most unpleasant games I've played of 40k. Regardless I've gone to 3-1, I'm in sole command of 2nd place and have played very well throughout the League. But if you'll all indulge me I want to explain WHY this was such a miserable game of 40k.

Opinion- This guy started complaining about 5 days before we even played and thats no joke. After hitting this guy up on Facebook to arrange the game, and tell him how stoked I was to face his Chaos and to have a show down with his Daemon Engines he proceeds to tell me "They'll probably get blown away Turn 1". Day of game he show up with his friend who he's trying to introduce to 40k and the first comment about the game "Are you ready to shred a bunch of Chaos Space Marines?". This guy couldn't be more sour or dispirited and we hadn't even exchanged army lists. He then goes on to tell me how useless his units are, how much GW hates Chaos Space Marines and this guy has been playing for like 4 damn months. I cannot tell you how many newbies roll up into the store complaining about this, complaining about that, crapping on GW like their 20 year vet. To make a long story short he goes into a huff, about the result of every single unit he loses. I warn him multiple times about going after units he cannot hurt like the Wraithlord or the Flicker Jump on the Spiders, but he tells me "Its All Good" and then goes on a "Woe is Me" pity party for himself after each and every result.

Look, no one needs to tell me that Chaos is in desperate need for a new Codex. Everyone knows that. I even told the guy right up front I know he's playing on "Hard Mode". My issue is that we're both trying to have a good time. Just because you are losing, doesn't mean both of us have to have a miserable experience. Show some damn class and lose with dignity. This guy was just lousy, complaining and describing how much he was sweating, burping, swearing with kids around and just whining and complaining all the way to the miserable end.

Sorry to rant guys but there are a lot of guys in my area who are just miserable people to play against. I don't know if its the area or what, but where I from New England where in sports and competition (the participants not the fans) of all forms its practically law that you don't talk trash, you don't complain, you don't hot dog, and when you win keep the public celebration to an absolute minimum. Both people are looking to have a good time. When I am losing, I'm very conscious of not spoiling the other persons fun, even if I'm losing badly. Everyone looks forward to winning and its wrong to ruin that just because you are losing.

Not only did this guy's attitude stink, his army composition did as well. The Land Raider, 3x Terminators, 5 lonesome Plague Marines and Biker Lord with 3 Spawn were all utterly useless. His deployment was also incredible weak as well putting the Havocs right in the wheel house of all 9 Jetbikes, really reflecting that he had didn't believe he had any chance to win. To me don't bother playing if thats your attitude. Its a waste of your time and mine. To that end I really went for the jugular with this guy right from the get-go. I knew this was gonna stink and while I was friendly and reserved, internally I just wanted to achieve a crushing victory and get the heck out of there.

So anyway guys sorry for the rant. I'm going to make a TRULY concerted effort to find better people to play with. There are number of good guys in the group and I'm going to try and cultivate a good relationship with them and ensure much better experiences in the future. So anyway guys THANK YOU GUYS for all your customary support, input and comments. I wish we could all be a gaming group in real life cause you guys are the best! I truly mean that. Anyway take care guys, stay tuned because there's a lot more positive and enthusiastic 40k goodness to come, I promise that!

« Last Edit: May 1, 2016, 02:03:25 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #717 on: May 1, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »
Sorry to hear you didn't have a good game Cav, I can understand not being happy with your current rule set but you've at least got to try and find combinations that will work, as you mentioned the land raider, spawn etc aren't competitive at all.
I am considering a chaos army despite the obvious weaknesses in the book but I do believe that there are a few good combinations in there worth looking at.
Always disappointing when you have sore loser opponents but sadly it is something you will meet anywhere you go.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #718 on: May 1, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
Ah, yes, I know those kind of guys...

There's little to be done except what you already did: warn them of dangers as they're making bad decisions, and keep cordial.
You might even have a friendly talk with them: You know, begin by saying you know they're playing on hard mode (as you did), and then explain to him that even if you're losing, you can still have a good time. And what's more: his defeatist attitude stops him from growing as a player.

Even funnier story is this guy in my old gaming group who proposed we'd build a number of nasty, go for the win lists, and then after a game of fighting my eldar, refusing to fight against it anymore because it was too powerful (after fielding imperial knights and/or drop podding centurions).

I've recently come into a very lucky break, with 2 of my 3 housemates really starting to go big in 40k, and they just had a 1000 + 1000 pts vs 2000 pts of my eldar game yesterday. It didn't go well for them, but they knew that in advance, and took the opportunity to learn as much as they could about their own units and their capabilities. They also asked me, at the conclusion of the game, where I would've done things differently if the roles were reversed.

We all had a good chat, laughed a lot, and then remembered the small moments of glory (killing 2 wraithlords and a bunch of guardians) and major moments of agony as their units evaporated. But we remembered these things in good spirit, and that makes or breaks a game. They (and I) are already looking forward to our next match.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #719 on: May 1, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »
Yeah, being a noobie to the games not going to help either, kind of reads like he's just gone, "those things sound awesome" and dropped them on the table against experienced players, so he's lost everytime.

Atleast you got to test out the Wraithlord :)

I hate helldrakes.