News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scrapyard Build-Off! - June - Will be locked on the 1st of July GMT  (Read 11947 times)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
SCRAPYARD BUILD-OFF

Welcome to the WotW - Green Menaces’ monthly Scrapyard Build-off!

How It Works
At the beginning of each month (before at least the 2nd) if you have a model, unit or piece of terrain you want/need to *finish you simply make a post in this thread stating what needs finishing, and post a picture or pictures of the model or models you wish to enter. You then have a month within which to finish your entry.

How You Win
Every person who enters the Scrapyard Build-off will have their entry judged for 'difficulty of completion' by one or more of the Boss Council & Nobz and an appropriate incentive (bribe *cough* bribe) in the way of Teef will be assigned to each entry.

Should you fail to finish and post pictures of your completed entry at the end of the month you get nothing. Should you complete your entry within the month you will get the full amount of Teef assigned to your entry. The more challenging your entry, the more you stand to win.

A completed entry will only count if it is built, painted, and if appropriate, based. A painted model must comprise of more than three (3) colours.

Do or Die!
Sometimes people like to bite off more than they can chew, and for those special people (we will find you, so do not ask) we will allow, if they want to, to make a wager that they will complete their entry on time. This wager will be a set amount of Teef agreed upon with one of the Boss Council or Nobz. Once the amount is decided, you must post in the thread that you are waging that amount that you will complete your entry.

Should you complete the entry, you will get the original amount of Teef for completing your entry, plus the additional Teef from your ‘Do or Die’ wager.

Should you fail… heaven forbid you do, kiss goodbye to a sum of Teef equal to your ‘Do or Die’ wager directly from your bank account. Ouch!

* The Scrapyard Build-off is all about finishing models and projects, not necessarily starting new ones, so there is no need to spend large sums of money on new models to compete every month, just pull out those uncompleted projects I know everyone of us has.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:52:14 AM by DropFall »

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Re: Scrapyard Build-Off! - Every month from June the 1st
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
Well...  I have a unit of nob bikers that is itching to get painted and finished...  Though I've already built them and even primered them...  Do they count for the build off?

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Fun, army progression incentive kinda.

Can I enter one for June already? I need to get my stormlord-battlewagon done. ... I also have to learn how to send photos from my phone to my PC if I'm going to do this. Picture will be forthcoming. As of this post though, it's just an unconverted stormlord using the um... doom hammer gun instead of the stormlord gun. I think it's the doom hammer. I dunno. It looks like a kill kannon, which is what I'm using it as. Who cares what da umies call it anyways.

Will be a bit tight for me since I'm leaving on a vacation at the end of June, so I won't wager any do or die teef on this. I'll do my best to get this project done before I leave though, and show pictures of it when done, if I can get over my lack of experience/talent in this area.

The Beginning
I apologize for not having the picture properly oriented.... not sure how to fix that. Anyways, as you can see it's just the shadowsword kit with the doomhammer gun and the stormlord deck. Instead of the imperial tank commander, a grot has been glued up in the hatch. The dozer blade (not yet complete) is connected to the tank through a small portion of the shadowsword's main gun, and is made out of GW gift card (my conversions 100% GW product, boys and girls!) I hammered a tiny nail into the tank under the shadow sword gun/ram attacher there to give it some extra support to rest on, as I didn't feel the glue would necessarily be enough if I ended up making a heavy ram. The ram itself sticks out a bit to one side (although not as badly as it seems from this angle). I'll have to either fix that by trimming it down, or extending the other side. I filed off the eagle where the ramp attachment is to give a more even surface for gluing, but have not decided if I want to file off the others or not yet. I'm leaning towards leaving them on, and xing them out or something at this point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Progression
So I actually sat down and spent most of a day working on beginning the conversion work. Most of the "conversion" work was fast and easy kit bashing. I put on ork logos, scraps of metal "patching", a wrecking ball, a boarding plank, and moved one of the rear ... heavy stubbers? to the rear of the deck (because the wrecking ball would be in the way otherwise, and because I liked the idea of my "big shootas" on the deck not being symmetrical). I put on an ork banner as well. It's small compared to the tank, but I actually liked it more than a larger one I was playing around with.

The bulk of my time was devoted to the ram, which did not want to play nice with me and my lackluster modeling skills. I wanted to add teef, but to do that I had to get a vertical top of the ramp (otherwise the teef would lean backward toward the tank, instead of pointing up to the sky). So I got some more GW giftcard glued at an angle with the ramp using greenstuff/glue, and then set that up as a sort of 3d triangle by patching the sides and top. I stuck the teef on in front (3 on each side). Apart from making the teef point in the right direction, this had the added effect of bulking up my ram, which was definitely needed. Prior to that, I trimmed down the oversize left out-crop of the ram a bit as well, so it's more symmetrical.

I want to cut up the left sponson next, and stick a grot with a big shoota inside it. I'm scared of ruining what is turning out respectably nice though, because I don't have much in the way of skill and a second sponson is going to be impossible to come by. I'll think on if I want to chance this for a day or two now, before I move on.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2011, 09:02:50 PM by starstrider »

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
BAM! I want in! I'm gonna build an Ork Thunder Dome! Inspired from Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome from scrap metal I found at work and bits from my bits box and left over bits from an ork stompa I'm turning into ork buildings

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
Well...  I have a unit of nob bikers that is itching to get painted and finished...  Though I've already built them and even primered them...  Do they count for the build off?

Absolutely.  Just make sure you take a pic of them as they look when you first start out.

I think this month I will be working on my 20 some ard boyz which still are in primer and stare me down everytime I walk into the war room.  Though I have got a crap ton of projects.   Even more incentive to get them done.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
Is it too early to enter, or do I need to wait for June 1st?

If it is not too early, then I officially enter my squadron of three AoBR coptas that I started converting to have KMB's as an anti-paladin kinda thing. The project kinda fell by the wayside with interferance from real life, the forced vacation, and whatnot. (Can you hear the violins playing in the background?)

Now the project was already about 1/2 done, and I was going to work on them in June anyway, so would it be cheating if I also make a do or die bet of 25 teeth that I will get the project done?

Here is the pic, yes they are primered with krylon beaten copper as that is all the "primer" I have left until she who must be obeyed gives me my allowance.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:15:11 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Doopsie

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Alrighty, I need an incentive to finally get to work on my orks (rather than just play games), so here goes.

I have a 1/35th scale German WWII halftrack, still on sprues. By the end of the month, with liberal application of bits from most of a battlewagon kit, this halftrack will be my third battlewagon.

I would post a picture, but no camera at the moment. So to get an idea of the amount of work done so far, I say the following: none. It's on sprues. Not a single bit of work so far. 

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 01:20:40 AM »
To those who were asking whether or not you can post stuff up now, the answer is yes you can. And please, if you have WIP pics during the month please post them up.

Now what the hell do I choose to finish...
- Converted GW Battlewagon (needs the finishing building touches + paint)
- Converted Battlewagon (needs the finishing building touches + paint)
- Half built converted Battlewagon (needs the back built as well as all the extras put on)
- Deff Dread (heavily converted using various GW parts)
- Deff Dread (like the above dread but mostly finished)
- Mega Dread (heavy converted from whatever worked)
- 5 Flashgitz (they have bodies and the core of the guns, and thats about it)
- 10 Tankbusta boyz (mostly finished but with a few more bits left to do)
- 3 Grot Tanks (need riveting and painting with a extras)
- 15 Kommandos (mostly built but requires extras on them like bags)

So you choose people, cuz I cant.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 05:13:25 AM »
How long do I have to form the dome? We going on a month thing here? Once the dome is done I'm in the "add stuff" mode I just wanna know how much time I have

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 05:39:47 AM »
How long do I have to form the dome? We going on a month thing here? Once the dome is done I'm in the "add stuff" mode I just wanna know how much time I have
I wouldn't recommend starting anything new. The point of the SBO is to finish already started but unfinished projects. However if you want to do something new, you are more than welcome to but you will have to have it finished within a month to earn Teef; which could be a substantial amount.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »
I wanna do a Do or Die for 5 teef! 10 if I get all the weathering in.

I have to form the metal screen into a dome, cut out openings on both sides for doors, add weapons to the dome, and include a base to it.

As and all metal piece I want to weather it with rust and dried mud

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
To those who were asking whether or not you can post stuff up now, the answer is yes you can. And please, if you have WIP pics during the month please post them up.

- Half built converted Battlewagon (needs the back built as well as all the extras put on)

I vote for the converted GW Battlewagon, as I love vehicles for orks. Are you going to be painting it red? (hint hint nudge nudge)  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
I second the converted GW battelwagon

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
Its not that heavily converted the GW Battlewagon, I just lengthened it changed part of the cab and was gonna put a deff rolla in the front reinforced ram. The other two BWs are almost entirely scratchbuilt.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »

I vote mega dread.... go big or go home.    Might as well start this contest off with a bang.
I wanna do a Do or Die for 5 teef! 10 if I get all the weathering in.

I have to form the metal screen into a dome, cut out openings on both sides for doors, add weapons to the dome, and include a base to it.

As and all metal piece I want to weather it with rust and dried mud

All projects are a month, built, painted and based.   You gotta bring your "A" game.  This is a build off no need to procrastinate now.  You can do it.

Here is going to be my project...   my ard boyz keep staring me down big time everytime I walk into the war room and I just can't take it anymore.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
Nice, Angel, your 'ard boys is what use for my nob death star

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
Nice, Angel, your 'ard boys is what use for my nob death star

I counted them up and there are 22 including the Nob.   Ya they could work great for Nobs in eavy armor as well, especially cuz I gave them a banner and a few of the axes look like big choppas. 

I figure that the ard boyz are kinda like vets so therefore would have the best armor and weapons they could find on the battlefield. 

It should be quite the challange.  Not the most boyz I have ever painted in a month but definately will give me a good challange.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Beginning
I have some old school SM rhinos that I am planning on turning into looted wagons with skorchas.
Current plan is to make up some cardboard fuel drums to put around the side/back and use some wire pipes to connect them to a skorcha turret based off chimera/razorback turrets.
This will be the ride for 10 old metal burna boyz who are also not finished.

I plan on getting at least one tank and squad done this month hopefully i will get all 3 done though. (got to be ambitious)

End
Unfortunately I didn't get this project finished.
I should mention squad sizes at this point. I have 4 squads of 8 boyz and I will be looting 4 old school rhinos for them.
I did get the vehicles converted. They aren't too heavyily converted as I wanted them recognisable as old-school rhino chasis so I can show off my ageexperience. I also put the first coat of red paint on one.
As for the burna boyz I went out and bought some undercoat (which I had been procrastinating about for some time) and got the models undercoated and the green (the most important color) done.

Unfortunately my camera is MIA as I foolishly lent it to a friend so I won't be able to take a photo until next week when I get it back however I will be entering the same project into next months challenge so I will post a picture there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:01:59 PM by AXEBLADE »

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »
I vote mega dread.... go big or go home.    Might as well start this contest off with a bang.

Alrighty then this is what my Mega Dread currently looks like. It needs the Killkannon completed, the 2 Big Shootas, an engine block, and whole lot of detail (rivets, cabling, some joint sockets etc), including additional armour all to be done. And yes those are leg/arm parts from a Defiler; just to give you some scale.

Next is the GW Battlewagon 2 of you wanted me to finish. Basically I need to put plastic card where there are gaps, finish the hatch gunner, build the deff rolla and paint it. Might include some roll bars on the back, but otherwise pretty straight forward.

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
I'll try to finish three Warbuggies I've been working on for the end of June.  I'm using pieces of the current Ork Trukk model to make the buggies.  Pics of the starting state to be uploaded later.

Bitz:

Chasis 1:

Chasis 2:

Chasis 3:

T-l rokkit launcha 1:

T-l rokkit launcha 2:

T-l rokkit launcha 3:
« Last Edit: June 5, 2011, 09:10:50 AM by MekEad »
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei