News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death Copta conversion (Green Baron)  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
Death Copta conversion (Green Baron)
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:12:44 AM »
This my conversion walk through for a Green Baron an ork deth copta armed with twin linked rocket launcher and a buzz saw. This will also be my first "how-to" as well and I'm hoping to get it published in the articles section.

The Green Baron is highly mobile tank hunter for the ork race and I feel deserves a special ride, seeing how the others are FAR too weedy for a proper Baron to get all killy with so I decided to make one for him!

Tools used:

• Razorsaw (be careful with this tool as it's very sharp and will cut you, always cut away from yourself and should it fall from your hand let it drop NEVER try to catch it.
  • Hobby Knife use extreme caution when using a hobby knife as it's a razor blade on a stick, the fact of the razor is dangerous enough but you add the handle it now has leverage so extremely careful use of this tool.
  • Sharpie pen: just your standard laundry pen used for marking.
  • Plasticard: Used for making fins or armor plates.
  • Plastic Tubes: From industrial sized to a simple drinking straw.
  • Green Stuff: Modeling Putty used for filling gaps and sculpting.

The first thing I did was I took a deth copta from the Assault on Black Reach box set and chopped off the rear rotor flush with body as well as the front missiles and landing skids as shown

I also chopped 2 of the blades in half and added them to the remaining longer blades to give a sense of a larger main rotor

I then cut a piece of card and took a Bad Moon icon from the nobz box and glued them to the front of the fuselage though you can add which ever icon you wish, this to cover the rather large hole in the front

now it's time to make the tail, seeing how the AoBR tail sits right on the main body I felt it needed to be a little farther away, so I took some 3/16" (4.8mm) and 1/4" (6.4mm) trusses and cut them to fit the rear of the body as well as the rear rotor, you'll need to have these form a sort of "A" frame tapering to the rear rotor for maximum effect I cut these approx 3" (76.2mm) and glued the rear rotor to the end with the wings down

Now for the Rokkits I used 2 rocket pods from an Imperial Guard Valkyrie now THAT'S Orky!

I then made a rear wing from some plasticard approx 1.5" (38.1mm) and glued it place right behind the body under the exhaust

Shaved off the imperial Aquila and mounted them up on the wing

Now time for the buzzsaw for this I decided to the rotor top from another copta (somehow it turned into a buggy hehe that'll be another how to for ya) and an axe head from a big choppa from the nobz box

I then glued the head right on the end and chopped off the rotor arm keeping just the round housing with the axe head. These two halves were glued prior for ease of cutting

Mounted that up right in front on the bottom

At this point I opted not to make any new skids for it as I picture the Baron doing everything from the copta, so here's a final shot the Green Baron next to some of the rest of vehicles so you can see the size of His Badness now

That's not any weedy little copta now is it?

Anyway, thanks for reading through my little How-To feel free to comment, criticize ask questions.

Thank you in advance,
  Rayvn

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:27:13 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Death Copta conversion (Green Baron)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Now that is a great Green Baron. There will be no confusion that he is THE Green Baron.

Good job, and 2 teef for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
That's really very good!

Nice conversion and a very handy step by step guide for anyone interesting in trying it.  :)

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »
Thank you, but I must ask, is there anything you'd change in the layout of the walk through or add to it or perhaps should I try to submit it as is?

Either way I loved doing this conversion, my friend who was taking the pics said I had a smile on my face the whole time. I never dreamed doing conversions were so much fun, don't get me wrong I've done a few others but they were just simple ones like head and torso swaps, nothing like carving up a model and changing the entire look of it. Yes Skeet warned me and I am totally hooked on the orks and I even changed from green tide to speed freak becuase I want to do more vehicle conversions. My next one will be a rokkit buggy it should be ready in a day or two, you can see the buggy in the last pic next to the baron

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
Add in a little more detail about the cutting process, and maybe a bit on the gluing too, and I think it would be ready for the ork project board for your next step.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Wilphart

• Lieutenant
    • some of my 40k pics
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:14:01 AM »
Where do you get those trusses?  I could really work some miracles if I could get my hands on some of those!
"That which does not kill you only makes you stronger."
     - some dead guy

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:03 AM »
Where do you get those trusses?  I could really work some miracles if I could get my hands on some of those!

I picked them up at Hobby Lobby in Oklahoma City for about $5(US) a package you get 2 each. They made life so easy