News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: warbosses uv da waaaagh!!!! (tactica)  (Read 2028 times)

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
warbosses uv da waaaagh!!!! (tactica)
« on: February 4, 2011, 11:18:19 PM »
Warbosses are widely used, for they are cheap, effective, and imho agreat way to get some damage in through his great statline. I will hereby, in this thread show some of the ways i have used my warbosses, as well as some loadouts I would like to take, in addition to the basics of a tactica of going over every bit of options available. so 'Ere We Go!!

BIG CHOPPA
A GREAT OPTION. It gives you 5 str8 attacks at initiative 5 on the charge. 'nuff said for orks. Given these ARE NOT power weapon attacks, it can still lay waste to a lot of stuff, and for 5 points VERY point efficient. Recently I have mass produced these buggers for my warbosses (and nobz but thats another story). I love big choppas after realising what they can do, and later will post more about their potential when put with other upgrades ;) and it, according to skeetergod, is a great way to kill off dreads. i can see that is would be great attacking first so you can tear it up before he gets in his attacks.

POWER KLAW (PK)
I used to always use these on my warbosses, I mean why not???? It gives them str10!!!! NUFF SAID! Including the fact that its a power weapon, it greatly increases the effectiveness of any model given one, especially a warboss! although, sometimes 25 points are a few too many, and we dont want to pay that much to make our warbosses as effective as a power klaw makes them. However, the power klaw is a great wepon in itself which, if used properly, can decimate an opponent. Also, though, if you die before your attacks are in then you are SOL, so good luck.

SHOOTA ROKKIT
I generally dont equip a shoota rokkit on any model, as there is a low chance for any possibility of success. However, if you give this model a shoota rokkit, it gives it a shoota, which can end up being useful if you are running a shoota boy horde and you want this warboss to lead that squad. AND the rokkit attached CAN end up doing something, so if you have reason, then its reason enough. Take the shoota rokkit, its 5 points, what can go wrong? just make sure you have everything you NEED first. ;)

SHOOTA SKORCHA
gotta love these, since without a 'to hit' roll, and its a template with str5, its almost....ALMOST (still not, dont take it as such) a must have, depending on the layout you have. i take these every once in a while if i have 5 points spare.(and ive already allocated my nobz). However, if you dont end up getting to assault, or you forget you brought it ( ive done that :'( ) then you may not want to bring it next time, or make a point to say to yourself USE IT!

TL SHOOTA
Gotta say, if used with a big choppa or PK, its a good points investment. Two twin linked (great, you need a 5+ anyway) shots that are str4...average, but for ork shooting, average is great! so if you come to a point where you have 5 points extra, take a look at this.

MEGA ARMOR
a good way to get a better armor save, power klaw, and possibly some good reaons to bring a BW........however.. ................... ..........move through cove applies to all IC's so, since slow and puposeful makes things terrain, he gets another die to find out how far he moves, but transportation is key. IF TRANSPORTED i would take this model, if not then NO. And even if i were to transport it i would want a BW. Just so my HQ doesnt die in a trukk stupidity moment.

WARBIKE
This is my favorite upgrade for a warboss. It makes him toughness 6, and speedy, and 4+ armor save, AND oh yeah, 4+ COVERR!!! WOOTNESSS! Ok, enough of that, but the warbike is a great upgrade to the warboss style for many reasons. One being that hes even harder to kill, two is that he can get to a target or away if needed (but why would you need to do that, weez be da orkz), three is that he can go with a squad of nob bikers andmake thwm sooo much more effective. More on that later. Dakkaguns on a warbike make this an excellent upgrade. 2 Twin Linked shots with str5? Great force to be  reckoned with in large numbers.

AMMO RUNT
A good way to reroll that shoota rokkit shot!!! HAHA, other than that I see no reason to take this upgrade.....reroll slugga shot....why??

ATTACK SQUIG
Great upgrade with any layout(except without upgraded weapon). 1 more attack, for 15 points, id love to take a warboss on a warbike with big choppa, cybork and bosspole, ride him up and...oh wait im ahead of myself...more on that later.

CYBORK BODY
An my opinion, this is a must have, unless you are running a moving shooting line of ork boyz, which i will touch on later. Anyway, a cybork body is priceless for a warboss imho. if you are going to run a warboss, unless you just cant find away to fit it in, give him the cybork.

BOSSPOLE
Immeasurable amount of usefulness in battle, or in a shooting squad, or whatever. Bosspoles are almost too necessary for orkz, and with the leadership 9 of he boss, it will still be needed, even though Ld 9 for orkz is high, it is still possible for the orkz to scurry off the board with it. That being the case, its generally better for them to take it in the squad so that if you need to split the warboss off for any reason, it doesn't deprive the squad of the bosspole.

'EAVY ARMOUR
in cases where you have a boss that needs extra protection, and theres no way that just a 5+ invulnerable save can save him.........what do you do....theres no 'a team' but there is eavy armor. eavy armor is a good and point efficient  way to get a 4+ save from a 6+ save. 'nuff said.

LAYOUT POSSIBILITIES
1.warbike, big choppa, attack squig, cybork
Pros-6 attacks, yay!str 8 I5 on the charge, T 6, can move quickly, 130 points...eh?
Cons-no power weapon attacks, can die to str 10 attacks, 130 points...eh?

2.Warbike, Power Klaw, cybork
pros-STR 10!!!T6,can move quickly, power weapon attacks, 135 pts kinda costly but not too bad
cons-can die to str 10 attacks, initiative 1 no matter what,  135pts kinda costly but not too bad

3.Cybork, shoota rokkit, bosspole, eavy armor, big choppa, ammo runt
pros- EXTREMELY CHEAP- 93pts! great for a shoota mob on the move, durable, reroll one to hit,not big effectiveness, but still somewhat effective
cons- no power weapon attacks, not big effectiveness, but still somewhat effective

squads to put these layouts in
1&2-nob bikers....duh....th ese guys are nasty!!! with a warboss, it makes it worse, plus then the warboss can split off to attack a second target.
3- 30 shoota boyz, 3 big shootas, no nob- the warboss takes his place, giving them a bosspole, a 31st shoota/chance for him to split off and come back after shooting at a tank. (make sure hes in cover first.(or he mght come down with a case of orky bits flying everywhere)) i think this would be a good idea for a squad to put him in, especially in low point values, as 62 shoota shots are way too op'd.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2011, 11:13:27 AM by the_humble_terminator »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
Re: warbosses uv da waaaagh!!!! (tactica)
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »
Some additional points:

Power Klaw: Worth mentioning that that going last is a significant disadvantage.  As ICs they can be picked out for abuse in close combat and warbosses simply aren't THAT tough -- they can absorb some damage but not a ton, so going last represents a serious chance of not getting to attack at all before dying.

Warbike: Never forget the dakkagun!  My favorite part of warbikes.  :D

Mega Armor: Worth mentioning that all ICs get move through cover, and since slow and purposeful makes things terrain, the move through cover applies to those roles.  So it doesn't hit a Mega-armor warboss as bad as it does regular Mega-nobz, though he loses move through cover when in a squad.

Bosspole: While a vital ork upgrade, its generally not a vital warboss upgrade.  It can't be used on himself when he is alone, and most squads you are going to put him with will be able to take their own.  That being the case, its generally better for them to take it in the squad so that if you need to split the warboss off for any reason, it doesn't deprive the squad of the bosspole.

Offline fireborn14

• Ork Boy
  • Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2011, 03:58:58 AM »
Bosspole: While a vital ork upgrade, its generally not a vital warboss upgrade.  It can't be used on himself when he is alone, and most squads you are going to put him with will be able to take their own.  That being the case, its generally better for them to take it in the squad so that if you need to split the warboss off for any reason, it doesn't deprive the squad of the bosspole.

thanks for that, that bosspole is going to warbikers. i have a warboss on bike, do i really need a cybork body?

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2011, 05:44:43 AM »
I would say so, because when your boss hits close combat, what will save him from your opponent power weapons?

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline fireborn14

• Ork Boy
  • Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »
yeh,but for a one in three chance?

• Tankbusta Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2011, 08:00:29 AM »
Well, lets say you take 3 power weapon wounds, and its time to take your saves. That one in three will keep you (on average mind you) alive with one wound, which is better than dead!

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
My general practice is to always give him cybork when I'm roughing out a list, but if I find I'm over points, that's one of the things I'll drop to shave them off.  I would classify it as useful, but not mandatory.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
A great read and well written, however I must point out that you need to get a word processor program that does spell check and grammer check for you. ( lots of little mistakes, if I was a teacher with a red pen, your paper would be bleeding to death) So just a little fixing up and your good to go.

Great stuff and for the most part spot on, I would add a little more about the merits of a warboss with the big choppa, especially the point that with a big choppa the warboss is a dreadnought killer with no equal in the game, (well.. maybe a hive tyrant) and he is really good at killing death company dreads as he swings first. So add a little about that and what the others said and you will soon have a tactica worthy of the boot camp.

Waagh on!
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Azonalanthious

« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2011, 06:59:31 PM »
A great read and well written, however I must point out that you need to get a word processor program that does spell check and grammer check for you. ( lots of little mistakes, if I was a teacher with a red pen, your paper would be bleeding to death) So just a little fixing up and your good to go.

Great stuff and for the most part spot on, I would add a little more about the merits of a warboss with the big choppa, especially the point that with a big choppa the warboss is a dreadnought killer with no equal in the game, (well.. maybe a hive tyrant) and he is really good at killing death company dreads as he swings first. So add a little about that and what the others said and you will soon have a tactica worthy of the boot camp.

Waagh on!

Demon princes are really nasty on dreads too.  But yeah, big choppa warbosses for the win.